·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Keith;
The cross refernce P/N is for a ford pilot bearing. I think it's for a Pinto.

·
648 Posts
Keith,
Just curious, why do you want a substitute? Also, I was wondering if there is any advantage to a bushing type, over the (original)bearing type?
ThanX,
James

·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pilot Bushing

James

I need a new pilot bearing to replace the one that I "lent" to Kat for her GT overhaul last weekend. Her's had totally self-destructed, which turn caused the clutch disk splined hub to wear itself loose from the disk, also the front main bearing on the transmission to fail, and also the internal needle bearing where the main shaft rotates in the transmission input shaft to completely be destroyed. Or at least that is the order I have presumed it happened. In any event, her car wasn't going back together after all that work without a pilot bearing. So out came the bearing puller, and "voila", she has a pilot bearing. And I do not.

Oh, do you mean "why do a need a SUBSTITUTE part number?" Because I thought I would try to buy this locally, since we have MANY bearing supply stores in town (due to this being an oilpatch supply center, I presume). And when I gave them the number, they didn't have a listing for it. At least at first. One place just called me back, and said it was available from BCA down east, but the shipping was as much as the bearing. But if I can't get it locally, I can get it from OGTS.

As for a bushing (which is more conventional) than a needle bearing, I guess a bearing has less friction. Although I can't IMAGINE a bushing would self destruct to the extent that Kat's did. All that was left of it was the outer skin. Which was a BUGGER to remove, since I couldn't get the puller to grab it. I ended up using my air dremel and grinding a piece away, and then chiseling it out. Oh joy!

Gene,

Are you sure that number (F-85265) is a release bearing? I didn't think to confirm with the bearing place, but I had told then it was a needle bearing, and gave then the dimensions (15 mm ID by 26 mm OD by 25 mm long). If there is any chance it is actually the release bearing number, I guess I will just order the pilot bearing from OGTS.

Thanks to all

·
648 Posts
Keith,

Now I understand why you are looking for it locally. I just got one from OGTS a few weeks ago. It looks fragile to me. Here's where I am going.....you nailed it.... I am thinking that a bushing would last longer, wouldn't come apart and become a royal pain to replace, and should be easier to find locally in a pinch.

Thoughts anyone?
James
w/TGSI head--measuring valve/piston clearance this weekend!

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
In all the miles I have driven in Opels, all have had the needle bearing type pilot bearing, none, to this day have ever failed on me.

Keith;
I tried to get a local parts house (Advanced Auto) to give me their number on this bearing. It's so common, that they actually keep it on blister cards behind the register. But, I got hold of a "rookie" counterperson and they were no help. I even told them where they were over the phone, but, alas, to no avail.....
Gene

·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries, I had some other stuff to get from OGTS, so I just added it to the order. It was only $11 from OGTS, so it wasn't much more than the local price ($13.38 CAD, which is $8.40 USD). But it might be handy to post whatever bearing number cross references anyone else has in case this comes up again. As Gene points out, stuff like this is often common to other brands, if you know what to ask for.

Speaking of cross reference numbers, that spreadsheet I referred to above is AMAZING! But it still could use some updating and additions. Does anybody know who built it in the first place? It is "downloadable", so perhaps we could build a spot on this site just for that sheet, which members could post any known cross-references to be added to it. I would volunteer to add the new stuff and keep it up to date.

Gary, could we put it in the "Download" section, and give me access to allow it to be updated and added to?

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
to my amazement I was also purchasing a bearing this week while finishing up the s-10 clutch conversion and I went to O'reilly's which normally has you generic common parts only and doesn't even stock an oil filter for the opel, and I used the part #'s i've bought for before,a nd they didn't have any available. Then for grins I just asked the guy for a pilot bearing for a 73 GT.

He had 4 in stock for $3.45 a piece. The other great part was that he pulled out a doorman box which contained 4 repackaged *** bearings that doorman must have acquired at sometime. Never will opel luck shine down on me again so kindly.

·
587 Posts
BTW - To confuse you even more, Not ALL part #s cross reference the same. I was just checking part #s on some online sites.

Motormite #1465, BCA # F-85265, and Dorman #690-044
all show it fitting the Opel 1.9 The BCA # DOES NOT show
it also fitting the Ford Mustang (1974-1993) with a 2.3 (140cid)
as the other 2 do.

I then cross referenced Gary's part # FC-65354 (BCA bearing)
and Beck/Arnley part # 068-0044 They BOTH show them
fitting the same Mustangs above BUT not cross referencing
to the Opel. :confused:

I plan on using the BCA #FC-65354 like Gary did. When I
checked prices, this was also the cheapest at around $4

Sorry if I confused everyone:confused:

Tom C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts