Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got everything pretty much tuned. I take the car down the freeway and it will not go into overdrive. It sounds like it wants to grind...not good. So, I adjust the clutch a bit looser to rule out the clutch not disengaging. Clutch disengages. I'm 90% sure my 5th gear synchro is not working anymore.

Does anyone have a 5th gear synchroniser they're willing to sell?

It's not that big a deal to replace, but I've grown tired, and at this point I'm inclined to sell the GT, replaced synchro or not.

On a brighter note, the Lenk resonator really does sound nice.

·
415 Posts
Scott,

Need the 4 speed back?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nah. That's essentially what it is right now, and it's not that big a deal unless you do long highway treks. I'm going to look @ some places for internals this week. Then rebuild the tranny if/when I feel up to it. Hell, there isn't much left to replace @ this point. The whole drivetrain will have less than 5k miles at that point.

Nonetheless, I put it on the ad board as-is, because I need a change.

Oh hey! Thanks for the banner. That's really cool.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,551 Posts
Pardon me for being naive here, but I've heard others say as well that the 5th gear doesnt usually come into play unless highway driving is involved.
So why bother with the getrag??? Can you jump through the gears faster?
Is it simply a lower revving feature for the highway? I've got the ol school 4 speed and have never felt a need for a 5th gear, not that my gt really see's 75 very often. Just curious?
Thanks,

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yellaopelgt said:
Pardon me for being naive here, but I've heard others say as well that the 5th gear doesnt usually come into play unless highway driving is involved.
So why bother with the getrag??? Can you jump through the gears faster?
Is it simply a lower revving feature for the highway? I've got the ol school 4 speed and have never felt a need for a 5th gear, not that my gt really see's 75 very often. Just curious?
Thanks,
You are correct sir.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
um, how about noise factor? I've seen enough 4 speeds say goodbye that I won't use them. I've rebuilt more 4 speeds than motors. The red GT would have gone through my entire inventory of 4 speeds in the first week. It's a weak POS.....in my opinion.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,551 Posts
I can understand a fifth gear for the highway. I guess having a pretty much stock engine and slowex carb doesnt really give me much reason to "get on it"!!! I supose it depends on your driving habits.As far as having to rebuild more trannys than motors?? I never had a problem with one in the 5 gt's I've had. Yes, they are a tad bit on the noisy side. But never had any problems with any gear clash or hard shifting, maybe I'm just lucky??

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
yellaopelgt said:
I can understand a fifth gear for the highway. I guess having a pretty much stock engine and slowex carb doesnt really give me much reason to "get on it"!!!
as the ratios are near enough the same for 1 to 4 you get the same speeds it realy helps on the freeway when you are on a long run and the gas costs fall to the point where you smile and smile and smile

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I get to the fifth gear synchroniser without dropping the transmission? I know on some trannys, this is possible.

I had it at the shop this morning and the concensus was it's just the synchroniser, since it won't even go into gear as opposed to going into gear and then popping out.

SO, looks like I'll be getting the synchro for fifth. BTW, is fifth on the same synchro as first or reverse?

Anyone know where to get tranny parts for the lowest price?

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
have you tried putting the rear on stands and putting the box into 5th then if you take the coil lead off and crank the engine you can see if its the syncro cone or the selecter if its the cone then the wheel will turn if its the selecter then it will not have gone into gear so no turn of the wheels

does it have 5 gears in there or is it a 4 with the 5 speed knob on it :eek:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had it on a lift and from an idle tried to put it in fifth. If I pushed hard it would try to grind, but wouldn't go. It will go into fifth with the car not running, then start car and it stays in fifth.

Thursday when I was setting the timing it was up to 130mph in fifth, so I'm pretty sure it has a fifth gear. Maybe I shouldn't shift at higher speeds. :rolleyes:

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
with no load you can get 4th to 130 at 6500 rpm
i would think 5th would be higher or did you not red line ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
130mph on a Houston Freeway is just about as fast as I felt like risking the road rash. I've redlined 1st, 2nd, 3rd-usually fairly quickly. I usually shift @ the yellow in 4th. In 5th, and above 110mph, it climbs rather slowly...to the point that traffic becomes an issue. And-don't know if your privy to this bit 'o info, but it is law here that every 4th car is driven by people barely above the vegetative state. They get to be a bit dodgy in traffic. Not even mentioning the children who find great pleasure in dropping bricks and other rubbish from the overpass bridges.

BTW: the wife is now quite fond of the badger. She teaches handicapped children who just love it as well.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the badger is lots of fun to watch. i have jim doing jumping jacks or what not on the top of my buddies blazer, along with the snowman on the roof for my school background.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience with replacing synchronizers in a Getrag?

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
Do a Google on the BMW Getrag 240. I heard the internals were the same as Opels. You may be able to get an exploded diagram and some U.S. parts suppliers from a BMW site.

Also, the Bentley BMW Service manuals list rebuild procedures and specs for 240 rebuilds. Check out eBay.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Believe me, I've googled. From what I've discovered so far, it is an involved process. I was hoping someone had some tips, or tricks. It looks like I'm going to have to pull the whole transmission, as opposed to pulling the back and swapping the 5th gear synchronizer. If I'm gonna pull-apart the entire transmission, then a whole rebuild would be in order, and I'll wait until summer break as I'll have a spare car then.

·
Super Moderator
14,065 Posts
Having never torn down a Getrag, I can't lend any advice.

However, maybe you should try to contact 'Metric Mechanic'....they specialize in street and racing Getrags for BMWs. That's all they do is build and modify them. I spoke to them once before about gearing options, and they were very helpful.

Bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier and was thinking about a company that sells rebuilt ones to the Opel world. When mine sprung a leak I got a seal in no time in a GM bag and an exploded diagram. They are really good folks, give Dennis and Gil a call. Support the Opel community and good stuff. If you need the number I can give it, not that I have it memorized or on speed dial mind you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.