Votes: 2 5.9%
  • MonkeyNutZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about making myself a screen printed Opel T-Shirt and I then thought, why not make a bunch.

So here is what I am proposing. Everyone on the site can submit their Opel design idea and we will then take a vote on the designs. There can be more than one design (a front and a back).

Don't feel left out if you are not a good artist, just submit your best graphic and I can re-draw it if the design were to win. ( I am an advanced art student)

The winner of the contest will get a free T-shirt with their design on it!

The price of the shirts will then be determined based on the number of shirts that are demanded, but it will not be more than $12 for the shirt.

This is just a 'for fun' event, so don't feel obligated to participate or condone the event. I just think it could be fun to see everyone's ideas.

So here are the guidelines laid out:

1) Any and everyone is allowed to submit two designs, one front and one back

2) The design should be able to be done in two colors (It gets complicated after that)

3) The design should fit in a 12" square

4) The design should be Opel Themed

5) Post to the site as a photo, PDF, or vector file

6) Submissions will be accepted until November 11, 2008 at 11:11 GMT (The sites time)

7) Voting will take place for the week following, ending in the announcement of the winner(s)

8) Have Fun! And try to be PG-13, or at least subtle with any adult humor

Thanks! I hope that people like this idea! (And I hope that I am allowed to do this. Sorry if I am not supposed to)

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey, great idea! here is a pic of a late 60's, early 70's Big Daddy Roth Opel GT iron-on, i have i think maybe 2 of these shirts left in my inventory, i'll try to dig one out, put maybe some variation on this design??

Attachments

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,321 Posts
Jay,
I don't have a design to submit, but a suggestion. Instead of the regular "T" shirt, how about a long sleeve of good quality???
And maybe writing on the sleeves????
:yup:

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
It's about time somebody comes up with this great idea !!!
Below are my suggestions, drawings can be colored if necessary.

Dieter
Excellent drawings - I have been looking for something like these - did you draw them?

Jay,
I don't have a design to submit, but a suggestion. Instead of the regular "T" shirt, how about a long sleeve of good quality???
I agree - I have plenty of T-shirts, not enough Spring / Fall shirts for those early / late car shows and meets...

·
Opel Addicts
2,465 Posts
Jay,

The Fall, Springfield Mother Road Opel Show longsleeve t-shirt and sweatshirt design done by John Dickerson is awesome. We have several of those.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I've always thought that a retro design would be cool for a shirt. I have a bunch of ideas I've sketched up over the years... I'll try and dig some out.

Personally, I prefer "ringer" t-shirts and wouldn't mind paying extra for them.

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
well i have no pics but maybe you could make a shirt with a original opel Gt on the front and at the bottom it says "from classic" and then on the back of the t shirt have a really customized Opel gt and the bottom if it saying "to
custom"

and then below that saying put "either way... it's still an opel" :)

i don't know if that helps finding a good t shirt but there's an idea

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I am not talented enough, those are scanned in from the book "Opel GT Ultimate Portfolio 1968-73":
Amazon.com: Opel GT Ultimate Portfolio 1968-1973 (Ultimate Portfolio): R.M. Clarke: Books
I have thought about buying that book many times but I have so many books and individual magazines now that I wasn't sure it would have anything new in it. Do you know if it is it substantially different from the Gold Portfolio by the same author? (which I already own - sorry :eek:fftopic:).

·
Opels Forever
102 Posts
well i have no pics but maybe you could make a shirt with a original opel Gt on the front and at the bottom it says "from classic" and then on the back of the t shirt have a really customized Opel gt and the bottom if it saying "to
custom"

and then below that saying put "either way... it's still an opel" :)

i don't know if that helps finding a good t shirt but there's an idea
I like the idea of making the front and back similar to opel kid's suggestion. The drawings of GT's that BMW only submitted would be a good guideline. I really like the style of GT art on this shirt that OMC did a bunch of years ago, similar in style to the shirt EastcoastOpel has. Maybe someone could draw original versions front and rear of the GT and Manta too. Another idea would be to use a couple of photos from the Opel of the Month collection and convert them into lineart to use as original art. One other thing, maybe you could use the classic Opel logo on the front and the modern Opel logo on the back, with a catch phrase or motto below it.

Attachments

·
Driver
987 Posts
How about "OpelGT.com" on it somewhere with a portion of the sales going to this wonderful site? Like the logo at the top by Gary's red GT.

I like the Big Daddy Roth retro design. I also like the jersey style shirt!

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
I've got some cool new cartoons that I need to clean-up. Been really busy with a lot of other designs for clients and my own stuff. I've done all 4 models in this new style and would really like to share it with the community.

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Ideas Guys!!! Keep em comin'

I am thinking that the voting should take place sooner than a week and a half from now. Any opinions?

·
Senior Contributor
1,601 Posts
T-Shirt Contest

I think that having a Opel T-shirt contest is a great idea, I also would like to see a Opel of the Month Calendar for a two year,09,10 would increase voting too. ( but need all winner to participate ) Good Fund Raiser too.

I have made Opel GT t-shirts in the past, and I have had many requests for Manta t-shirts. My idea is the front view of the Manta on the front of the t-shirt and the rear view of the Manta on the back, also adding OPELGT.COM to the artwork along the bottom.

If some one's in the screen printing business, it's no big deal but, I found that adding lots of print colors increases the price. So consider the colors of the t-shirt into the designs. Unless your making them to Order using a different process. Just some suggestions. Good Luck with the Contest

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So originally I was thinking that I would try to balance the book as much as possible in this T-shirt contest; meaning that I would charge exactly what it would cost to print and ship the shirt.

But because that seems like it will be difficult, I think that I will charge close to that amount, and any extra can be donated to OPELGT.COM.
(Moderators, feel free to say no to the money)

So in a sense, this T-Shirt contest has now become an improptu fundraiser for this wonderful site.

·
Non Civilian
2,088 Posts
So can we get our wives and girlfriends involved too?:D How about a wet tee-shirt contest after we get them?:D

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,545 Posts
So can we get our wives and girlfriends involved too?:D How about a wet tee-shirt contest after we get them?:D
Hows about whoever gets the hottest wife/girlfriend/whatever...to pose on the hood of your Opel while washing the car wins the contest?? :D:haha:
Two birds with one stone..........
BTW...you have a wife AND a girlfriend/s????? YOU DA MAN!!!!

Reactions: Phoenix
1 - 20 of 129 Posts