Opel GT Forum banner

481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
It sounds like you don't have an alignment issue as much as you have an improperly balanced driveshaft. When the driveshafts are that short it's easy to have an imbalanced one.

I have known several people that had hose clamps and nickels on their drivelines for the life of the vehicle.

When you get time to fix it proper, remember that the distance of the weight from the driveshaft comes into play as well as the weight itself.

If you aren't going to go for a full restoration, you could just take the driveshaft, as is, and spray coat it with plastidip or bedliner or something to keep the water off the clamp (not that it would matter much)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #482 (Edited)
The angles are definitely not right, but I think there may also be an imbalance due to my not installing the pinion back in its original location when I replaced the torque tube bushing a few years ago.

This thing has kicked my butt for the last week, but I have to say it feels pretty good now to have it put to bed and finally know I can make the 50th Rally. I can spend the next few days cleaning the car and doing some routine maintenance. I haven't even put the wipers back on after having the car repainted.

Thanks to "FirstOpel1981" for all his work on the files and drawings for the adapter, and to "Mark B", who I believe is the one who suggested I look into the S197 Mustang T5 in the first place.

I'll be doing a write-up on the conversion with a bill of materials as soon as I get a chance.

Cam

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #483 (Edited)
I'm pleased to report that I've returned from the 50th Rally with no major mechanical issues. I only did the first couple days, but with the drive to Las Vegas added to that it totaled approximately 800 miles. The T5 was awesome and totally transforms the car in freeway driving. I found the car most comfortable about 70-72 mph, but keeping up with freeway traffic at 75-80 mph when needed was no problem. The .73 overdrive ratio might not be good for some place like Hawaii (the drop from 4th-5th gears is about 800-900 rpm) but here in Arizona, with our 75 mph speed limit, it's about perfect. I hardly ever had to downshift to 4th unless I came to a good sized hill.

I still have a minor vibration issue that I've been working out. Some of this I think is related to the replacement of my torque tube donut about five years ago. I fought vibration issues then, and though most of that was solved through various tricks I have had a slight harshness when accelerating in 2nd gear ever since. That's still there with the T5, plus in 5th gear I feel a slight rumble over about 65 mph.

This morning I found an old post I'd made on this forum where I described prying the torque tube towards the driver's side before tightening the bolts that attach it to the body. I'd forgotten about that trick. I tried that again this morning and it did make a slight improvement in the rumble.

I've also come to the realization that some of the vibration is actually mechanical vibration from the exhaust. The header collector was hitting on the bellhousing (fixed that with a crowbar), and the baffles in my Bosal resonator are loose and adding to the cacophony of sounds at certain rpm.

I've started on my T5 conversion write-up and will try to get that posted up in coming days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm back home now, but still have my V8 Volvo taken apart in the shop for fixes and upgrades. Maybe I can get that running again this weekend, then get started on the Kadett.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Apparently Opel CIH 5-speed Getrag 240's have become VERY scarce and VERY VERY expensive, to both purchase and to rebuild/repair. There is a discussion ongoing at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassicOpels/ which Gil Wesson and Charles Goin has commented that recent Getrag rebuilds are costing upwards of $2,000, not including the cost of the transmission itself, which has tripled in cost.

Charles Goin (who hardly ever comes here these days) has been discussing with Gil about coming up with a T5 option. It seems clear that the option already exists, at least as far as the work done by Zippy7575 and First opel 1981 and others.

So the questions are:

1) Is it OK if I clean up this thread to make it more useful, as the 484 posts to date are about triple the useful post count. In truth, I don't need permission, but it's always nice to have support when certain members from Northern States crap on me for doing what I am supposed to do....

2) Would the principals behind this thread (named above) be willing to share their knowledge and CAD files with Gil and OGTS, to allow the commercial manufacture of the adaptor plates and whatever else is needed to allow a cost effective supply of 5-speed transmission options for the Opel Community?

Hopefully so. If not, well, then I am kinda' disappointed in our community...

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
I'm all for sharing but I'm not for others making profit off of my work.

It's really that simple.

If adequate compensation were involved, I'd gladly help in this endeavor. I have over a hundred hours into R/D and prototype work on thses.
If I had more time, I'd build kits myself. (It was originally part of a plan)

I'm not a monster. I just play one on TV.

Also, FWIW, I'm formalizing a transmission mount in the next few months. It will be more off-the-shelf than what I have going on now. I will also, likely, be installing the second GM T5 in the near future. It will use the second of the three adapters I've had made. The driveline recipe is already done on that one. It's just a matter of time, building a shifter and that transmission mount listed above.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Reactions: kwilford

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
There is a sticky already on my S197 Mustang T5 installation.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/clutch-transmission-drive-train-upgrades/105114-how-install-2005-10-mustang-t5-5-speed-into-opel-gt.html

That said, you can do whatever you want with anything I've written in either thread.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that (even though it was likely me that "stuck" it :) )

I'm all for sharing but I'm not for others making profit off of my work.

It's really that simple.

If adequate compensation were involved, I'd gladly help in this endeavor. I have over a hundred hours into R/D and prototype work on thses.
If I had more time, I'd build kits myself. (It was originally part of a plan)

I'm not a monster. I just play one on TV.

Also, FWIW, I'm formalizing a transmission mount in the next few months. It will be more off-the-shelf than what I have going on now. I will also, likely, be installing the second GM T5 in the near future. It will use the second of the three adapters I've had made. The driveline recipe is already done on that one. It's just a matter of time, building a shifter and that transmission mount listed above.
OK, I'll take that as a "maybe" regarding cooperating with Gil Wesson (and perhaps Charles Goin?) to allow T5 adaptor plates to made available.

Clearly the T5 requires a few more fiddly parts than a Getrag 240 swap: custom clutch disc, S-10 pressure plate and flywheel modified accordingly, a more complicated driveshaft, and some kind of speedo adaptor, likely electronic to mechanical, and of course the adaptor plate. It still requires a shifter modification, but that seems straightforward.

The good news is the T5's should be much more available than a Getrag, MUCH less expensive to rebuild, and options regarding ratios.

Since I have no stake in this, I'll leave it to you two to discuss this with Gil. Or not, if you are disinclined.

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
OK, I'll take that as a "maybe" regarding cooperating with Gil Wesson (and perhaps Charles Goin?) to allow T5 adaptor plates to made available.

Clearly the T5 requires a few more fiddly parts than a Getrag 240 swap: custom clutch disc, S-10 pressure plate and flywheel modified accordingly, a more complicated driveshaft, and some kind of speedo adaptor, likely electronic to mechanical, and of course the adaptor plate. It still requires a shifter modification, but that seems straightforward.

The good news is the T5's should be much more available than a Getrag, MUCH less expensive to rebuild, and options regarding ratios.

Since I have no stake in this, I'll leave it to you two to discuss this with Gil. Or not, if you are disinclined.
I don't have a problem collaborating. As I've said, I've already engineered 90% of the swap. All three of the most recent swaps were my design on the adapter plate.
The GM T5 from the S10 is what I've done completely. Zippy and "(I think) Red" have done the other extra mods (driveshaft and shifters) for the other GM T5 anf the Mustang T5. There's no secret there. I think I even gave the full dimensions in my build thread for the S10 T5.

The hard part was the R/D in the adapter plate itself. That's the part I hold close to my chest. I wanted to make this mod happen for 35 years (no kidding) and to accomplish it isn't something I just want to give away for someone else to profit on. Since Zippy and Red weren't going to profit, I licensed the design for a one-off to them for free.
I hope all this is understandable.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Thanks, I had forgotten about that (even though it was likely me that "stuck" it :) )

Custom clutch plate yes, but I used the standard Opel flywheel and pressure plate. No machining required except the adapter itself, of course. Most of the vendors for the parts I used are listed in the sticky.

The only thing I don't like about the T5 is the notchy short-throw shifter compared to a standard Opel 4-speed or Getrag. It works fine, just a personal preference. Also, I wish the OD 5th gear were just a little shorter. That said, 4th is 1:1 just like the Opel, so you don't HAVE to use 5th all the time.

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Custom clutch plate yes, but I used the standard Opel flywheel and pressure plate. No machining required except the adapter itself, of course. Most of the vendors for the parts I used are listed in the sticky.

The only thing I don't like about the T5 is the notchy short-throw shifter compared to a standard Opel 4-speed or Getrag. It works fine, just a personal preference. Also, I wish the OD 5th gear were just a little shorter. That said, 4th is 1:1 just like the Opel, so you don't HAVE to use 5th all the time.
Yes, I forgot to address the clutch.
I already had the aluminum flywheel and S10 clutch so that wasn't an issue.

As you said, you can use the factory flywheel, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Just need a properly sized clutch disk with the right number of splines. That part is off-the-shelf.

I'll also second the notion that the 5th gear should be .87, not .78
The .78 is good for 80mph but kind of a burden between 60-70.

Other than that, most won't notice ia difference in gear ratio between the stock Opel transmission and the T5 gearing.

The speedo IS still an issue but there's aftermarket stuff that can be done there. I don't have a recipe for that.

·
Opeler
1,439 Posts
I don't have a problem collaborating. As I've said, I've already engineered 90% of the swap. All three of the most recent swaps were my design on the adapter plate.
The GM T5 from the S10 is what I've done completely. Zippy and "(I think) Red" have done the other extra mods (driveshaft and shifters) for the other GM T5 anf the Mustang T5. There's no secret there. I think I even gave the full dimensions in my build thread for the S10 T5.

The hard part was the R/D in the adapter plate itself. That's the part I hold close to my chest. I wanted to make this mod happen for 35 years (no kidding) and to accomplish it isn't something I just want to give away for someone else to profit on. Since Zippy and Red weren't going to profit, I licensed the design for a one-off to them for free.
I hope all this is understandable.
I can absolutely see your wanting to be compensated for your design work, but it would seem to have a time fuse on it now. Given the growing demand for the adapters, it seems to me that you either need to market the design or build and sell the device yourself or risk losing out to someone else willing to build and market it.

The device appears to be a typical aluminum plate, motor to transmission adaptor of the variety made by many firms for the past 75 years and that any capable machinist/fabricator, given a T-5 and Opel bell housing to measure would come up with pretty much the same design without ever having seen yours. So, if you don’t act to make and sell the adapters or sell/license your design to some company willing to buy and produce it, you risk not getting anything for your work. Am I oversimplifying or is this a case of “if you snooze you lose”?

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
I can absolutely see your wanting to be compensated for your design work, but it would seem to have a time fuse on it now. Given the growing demand for the adapters, it seems to me that you either need to market the design or build and sell the device yourself or risk losing out to someone else willing to build and market it.

The device appears to be a typical aluminum plate, motor to transmission adaptor of the variety made by many firms for the past 75 years and that any capable machinist/fabricator, given a T-5 and Opel bell housing to measure would come up with pretty much the same design without ever having seen yours. So, if you don’t act to make and sell the adapters or sell/license your design to some company willing to buy and produce it, you risk not getting anything for your work. Am I oversimplifying or is this a case of “if you snooze you lose”?
I have zero issues with someone else designing their own adapter plate, having it made, and selling it. That's not what I'm about at all.

I didn't always care if someone profited from my work but there's this guy that, literally, stole all my ideas and marketed them for his self gain. It put a new spin on how I view things.
If I get time to have a bunch of adapters made, I will. If Gil or someone else wants to give me a kickback for using my design, I'm open to that. If someone else starts from the ground up and makes the same thing (which is what I did), great. I won't hold a grudge. (Doesn't mean I won't compete in the future).

If I snooze and lose, that's fine too. I'm not in it to make a buck, nor am I in it to be a schmuck. LOL

It would have been nice if I were in the financial position I'm in now, 4 years ago when I had a lot of time. Or 20-30 years ago with a knowledge to make the adapter then. We'll see what the future holds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey there, havne't been around in awhile but figured I would stick my head in to ask a couple questions, or rather possibly source an adapter or the drawings to have my local shop cut one. As with everything I play with, a little different application though. I am studying the SuperT10 four speed as a replacement for the stock 4 speed since my car isn't a road car, weight is paramount, and I can get a bunch of different ratios for the case to play with. I get the impression that the T10 should match a S10 T5 pattern.

Does the CIH to T5 adapter fit both Ford and GM T5's? I have managed to confuse myself big time as to what matches what at this point.

Richmond is building better, stronger, more precise versions of the T10 now for road race applications as well as street performance which really has my interested piqued, but I want to mock it up with an eBay special first before buying a fresh Richmond version.

Any help, advice, drawings or source to buy an adapter from that I can start to piece things together with would be greatly appreciated. My 8v head for the monster Risse' cam I have is nearly done, and the crossflow head for the stroker block might get started before the end of the year, so I figure with the 8 3/4 working like a dream in the rear now, it's time to get a bit more strength in the mid section before upping the ante in the front.

I am more than happy to Paypal someone some money if "just" putting an adapter in the mail is a possibility.

Hope everyone is well,

Ryan

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
There are a few designs I've done.
The GM T5 is in my car.
Then there's two versions of the Ford T5 that were manufactured from my drawings.

Unfortunately, because of drama associated with my designs, I don't give them out anymore.

I'm interested in dimensional specs of the T10 though. Overall length, shifter placement are the rwo big ones.

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
My friend Tom Drake runs a Tex Racing super close ratio T-10 dogbox in his Opel GT road racing car. He’s a retired machinist so he made the adapter himself. I’ll shoot him a message to ask if he has any details, but he did the swap about 25 years ago.

·
Living in the past
2,320 Posts
There are a few designs I've done.
The GM T5 is in my car.
Then there's two versions of the Ford T5 that were manufactured from my drawings.

Unfortunately, because of drama associated with my designs, I don't give them out anymore.

I'm interested in dimensional specs of the T10 though. Overall length, shifter placement are the rwo big ones.
I ran a super T10 in my bracket car, it had been modified to fit in a T10 aluminum case. It was pro shifted (no syncronizers) with shifting dogs instead and had a 2:88 first gear ratio with 9310 gears. It could not be downshifted because it had no syncro's so it was a drag race only specially built transmission and you did not need to use the clutch after leaving the starting line to upshift it. In the hands of someone that knew how to shift it, they could really make very consistant passes and was a very good bracket car. I still own this transmission, in case you know a SS class stick shift racer it would be a real asset.

·
1,721 Posts
Just saw something on the internet today about a new Tremic 5speed manual tranny (TRX) purpose built as an aftermarket fit. Not sure how it would work for GT but seems to be designed to fit multiple apps.

481 - 500 of 511 Posts