Opel GT Forum banner

501 - 511 of 511 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
There are two GM T5 bolt patterns, Chevette and everything else. The Chevette type matches the Ford pattern if I remember right. The Ford T5 has some variation on input shaft length which means different thickness adapter plates for each type.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are a few designs I've done.
The GM T5 is in my car.
Then there's two versions of the Ford T5 that were manufactured from my drawings.

Unfortunately, because of drama associated with my designs, I don't give them out anymore.

I'm interested in dimensional specs of the T10 though. Overall length, shifter placement are the rwo big ones.
I am more than happy to buy an adapter off you if you can make one up to fit the T10 front (in theory GM pattern BW case). Even if it isn't a guaranteed to work piece, it will give me a starting point to play with and study to put a case behind the bell housing. Worst case scenario I can find someone to machine a hybrid input shaft for it that will fit in the case for the gearbox side, but have what is needed for Opel dimensions for length, diameter and spline.

If it works, I would probably beg another one off you, or the rights to have one cloned here locally to setup a spare trans to have on hand.

The shifter looks like it might be a bit farther back, but not too far. I'll either move the tunnel hole to line up with it, or modify the shifter. Leaning towards moving the hole back if isn't too far off since I tend to feel it's a bit farther forward than I really like when I am in the race seat, set on the floor and legs in a comfy position. If the shifter was 1-2" farther back with a shorter throw I think it would be about perfect for me. There are some nice adjustable solid stop, short throw shifters for the T10 as well.

Let me know, or PM me. I forgot how to PM on this site, or something moved/changed and I'm not seeing it.

Ryan

·
Registered
126 Posts
This looks like a wonderful option, huge strength, three position shifter setup to get it where you want it, no linkage to fight in the tunnel space. Need to find dimensions of it somewhere now. I don't mind a five speed as long as it stays in the 70 pounds range or less. Definitely has more than enough rated power handling.

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
What vehicles came with the T10 discussed in this thread?

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
I think it was the standard 4 speed used in GM cars, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, etc.

Reactions: davegt27

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
I think it was the standard 4 speed used in GM cars, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, etc.
Ah, if it ain't got no 5th gear, I ain't interested.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ah, if it ain't got no 5th gear, I ain't interested.

yup, 60's GM four speed. Thinking about it for its size and my money pit wont see street use. Though the Tremec TKX just became an interesting alternative too. Need to get the various dimensions for that one.

Can you make me an adapter plate? Rather support someone that figured it out, rather than take the time to "re-invent" the wheel if possible. Oh, the aluminum crank pulley worked great for my ignition pickup wheel I made to fit it. We machined the second groove off as well as other material in the center area to reduce weight a bit. The thing worked like a champ though, just took me forever to get around to finishing the ignition pickup bracketry to finish the efi setup. Lil engine loved having the ignition under the computer control though, lots better response! LOL

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
yup, 60's GM four speed. Thinking about it for its size and my money pit wont see street use. Though the Tremec TKX just became an interesting alternative too. Need to get the various dimensions for that one.

Can you make me an adapter plate? Rather support someone that figured it out, rather than take the time to "re-invent" the wheel if possible. Oh, the aluminum crank pulley worked great for my ignition pickup wheel I made to fit it. We machined the second groove off as well as other material in the center area to reduce weight a bit. The thing worked like a champ though, just took me forever to get around to finishing the ignition pickup bracketry to finish the efi setup. Lil engine loved having the ignition under the computer control though, lots better response! LOL
I actually have an extra 3/4" GM T5 adapter plate but it needs "refined". (I actually have 2 plates but one is supposed to go in my sons GT someday).
I refined the one in my car using a dremel. The center hole is @ .010 too small so the plate wouldn't sit on the T5.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds perfect to me, give me a price and I'll take it off your hands if you are willing. Everything I have, built or dream up requires some level of refinement! LOL

Outta see my truck! To cheap to buy or build another one, so I am cutting off the roof to replace it and keep it together another 20-30 years. Involves teaching myself new skills so it's all good. Cutting spot welds and splitting seams to replace the skins with new ones rather than cut pillars to replace it with a bone yard roof. We have a severe shortage of decent bone yards here and everything rots quickly anyway. If this truck wasn't a special and nostalgic build for me, it would get scrapped! LOL

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,961 Posts
RC, from some quick looking:
  • The T5 and T10 GM bellhousing patterns looks to be the same, just judging off of pix.
  • You'll need to check that the trannie's bearing retainer diameter is the same, for registration in the adapter center hole.
  • If the 2 items above are the same, then the work done by anyone on GM T5 to OPel bellhousing adapters would be applicable.
  • The length from the face of the trannie to the tip of the input shaft is the main determinant for the adapter plate thickness. That is a dimension that you need to find/determine/measure before proceeding with any T5 adapter.
    • If you have that length, I have a spreadsheet set up that can spit out a plate thickness that will set the input shaft nose at approximately the same depth in the pilot bearing as the stock Opel trannie's input shaft. Feel free to contact me for that matter.

501 - 511 of 511 Posts