Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is almost time for the Tacoma 2004 "Gathering of Opels." We are going to be back at our all time favorite place "Happy Day's Diner" on July 17, 2004. The hours of our Gathering are from 11:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. "Happy Day's Diner" is located at Exit 125 off I-5 at the McChord AFB and BridgePort Way location. We will be having guests from as far south as Arizona and as far north as Canada. This year will be a fun Gathering. We will also have several cars from the famous "Harold LeMay" Collection on display, for all to enjoy. There is a "Swap Meet." Bring all and any Opel related parts. Remember, you can bring all your Opel Questions and Problems and get answers to them from - "OPEL G.T. Source" and "Opels Unlimited." These two Companies will again be flying up out of California to come to our Gathering for all their Customers here in the Pacific N.W. So Come - Buy - Sell - Trade. For additonal information and updates, watch this site or call this Phone Number, 253-581-5372. Hope to see you and your Opels there. Maw&PawOpel. Opel John.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Who all is going?

I am wondering who in this community is planning to be at the Tacoma, Washington Gathering of Opels?

I was there last year, but my Opel did not sound healthy enough to make the trip, so I did not get to show it. I am looking forward to see other Opel's again. I have only seen one other Opel GT since I was there, so I hope to see you all!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
hey im thinking if my gt is back from the paint shop i might make a run up there for this meet just for the drive, i live in southern cali and was wondering how long it would take to drive up there from the la area i looked it up on a mapping program and it says its a 16 hour drive each way and thats with out traffic and gas stops and such, im still contemplating this but anyone who has done it or has a good estimate on how long it would take id like to no. thanks.

·
792 Posts
Tacoma Show

I will be flying up from Yuma Arizona for the third year in a row. Its a great escape from the desert heat and the opel people in the Tacoma area are great!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've driven to San Fran from Federal Way (Basically Tacoma) in my GT once before. I recal it being about 14-15 hours...I figure LA would have been another 5 hours at least...???

20 hour trip probably....that's with gas...stops, pretty much non-stop though.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I'll be at the Tacoma show, but I've decided to fly in order to save trip time and hang out for an extended weekend.

It takes me about 17 hours to drive non-stop from the S.F. peninsula to Seattle. Tacoma is half an hour before Seattle. It can be slow going through the mountains sometimes if it's foggy and/or if there are lots of trucks/campers/trailers. Add another 7 hours if coming from L.A. with traffic.

I can't believe all the appreciative looks my GT gets when I'm up in that area... like my car is from another planet. Maybe because there are so few old, classic cars on the road in the Seattle area (from what I've experienced). Either that, or it's all those Canadian tourists that really like Opels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heck ya i'm gonna go, i bought my 72 opel gt last summer and this is gonna be my first Opel meet, haha and the first time i'll be able to reach out and touch an OPEL other then mine and the ones owned by the owner of OGTS as he kindly let me sit in his :D when i passed through, that was a thrill alone

so its gonna be cool to see a BUNCH of gts :)

i'll be driving from vancouver, wa
i can't wait it's gonna be cool
-Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
PROPEL said:
Either that, or it's all those Canadian tourists that really like Opels.
Hey, I resemble that remark! Myrna and I will be coming, but sans Opel. I'd like to think one of them would be ready, but...

So we're driving up to Seattle on Wednesday, and we'll be in Tacoma Friday and Saturday night. Is there a specific place where the Opeler's stay? Or any suggestions for a decent hotel/motel?

·
Opeler
8 Posts
Two more for the Gathering

:) My grandson and I'll be there, we both have 70 GTs. Looking foward to meeting other Opel folks. Hopefully my GT will be ready, or least close enough to done to drive it there, I'm not far (Bremerton)

·
Registered
9 Posts
pvcar said:
hey im thinking if my gt is back from the paint shop i might make a run up there for this meet just for the drive, i live in southern cali and was wondering how long it would take to drive up there from the la area i looked it up on a mapping program and it says its a 16 hour drive each way and thats with out traffic and gas stops and such, im still contemplating this but anyone who has done it or has a good estimate on how long it would take id like to no. thanks.
Sounds about right to me, although it depends on where you are in LA. I used to make the trip from Ft Lewis, WA (just south of Tacoma) to AZ pretty regularly. I'd usually break the trip at my parents in OR, but Tacoma to San Bernadino usually added up to 19 hours. That was 4 hours from Tacoma to Eugene, OR, and 15 from Eugene to San Bernadino. Of course, I normally run 5-7 over the limit, and try to only stop when I need gas, food, and a bathroom break at the same time...YMMV.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
that sounds pretty good to me on times so im thinking about a 1.3 days to get there and 1.3 days back this leaves me .4 days to be at the gathering i no its a short time but i wanna do the run if my car is ready by then. any praticular highways that anyone seems a faster route then anthor.....?

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Trip to San Bernadino

I was stationed at McChord AFB and made a trip with my 1974 Manta to San Bernadino in 23 hours straight. That was in the summer and without Air I made sure I drove through the night. Wish I was stationed there now so I could attend the show. You guys have fun

·
Opeler
28 Posts
I plan on being there, probably sans Opel though, need to get some new rubber on it before I drive anywhere, don't think the dry rotted rubber will hold up even though my GT is stored in Tacoma. On that drive from L.A., I've done the drive from San Diego to Tacoma several times, it usually took about 21 hours. I'll try and get my GT to the meet, but if not, I'm sure my parents will have their 73 GT there.

203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tacoma's 2004 "Gathering of Opels"

This is the last notice of the 2004 Tacoma's Gathering of Opels. The Gathering date is for July 17, 2004 located at "Happy Day's Diner" just off the I-5 Exit 125. The signs will read McChord AFB and Bridgeport Way. We will be 3 blocks west on Bridgeport Way. For directions please call 253-582-1531 OR 253-581-5372. This year's Gathering promises to be the biggest and best ever. We are putting a lot of work into this one. We will be having several guests, and some displays of "Muscle Cars 68-72 Yrs." From the famous "Harold Lemay Collection" of Washington. There will be a swap meet for sale and trade of Opel items. We will have Gil of "Opel GT Source" flying up from California to offer his advice and help. Also Todd from "Opels Unlimited" will be coming in to join us too. We are expecting Opels from as far South as Arizona and as far north as Canada. We look forward to seeing you with or with out your Opels. You are welcome to join us for this fun day of A "Gathering of Opels". See you there. Hours are from 11:00 A.M. till 5:00 P.M. Maw&PawOpel and Opel John.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Maw&PawOpel said:
...and as far north as Canada.
Hey, we resemble that remark! Myrna and I are booked into the:

Best Western Lakewood Motor Inn. Located at 6125 Motor Ave. S.W. Lakewood, Wa. 98499 (253) 584-2212

If anyone wants to visit Thursday night or anytime Friday, we should be in town. Either call the number above, or my cell at (403) 862-9094. See you there!

·
149 Posts
I have full intention of attending this year. That said, if there are any parts that people could use this would be a great place to post them so myself or anyone else could arrange to bring them for a swap/sale. Also Keith I live about 200 miles south of you. I can't make it up there due to work, but if you want to pop by or spend the night I would be happy to have you.

Darrin

203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kwilford, hey glad to see that you are coming for our "Gathering",got the Phone Numbers, You have mine (if not get back with me VIA this site). Yahoo, It's party time!!!!!!!!!!! MAW&PAWOPEL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts