Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tail light panel

I have a '72 GT and the rear panel has been dented and has a crease. I've removed the gas tank and did some beating on it only to change it from being pushed in to pushed out. So it's one way or the other. I even used threaded rods on angle iron to control the panel from moving. My next move is to get a friend to hold a metal block on the outside as I hammer on the inside. I don't expect it to look great after hammering, but I don't know if I would have any better results if I went through the trouble of removing the panel, fixing it and then re-installing it (braze it?). I know...I can get a fiberglass one but $200 isn't in my budget right now. Anyone have some ideas or comments?

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
panel straightening

rich72GT
You don't have to buy a NEW panel, you can look for a good used panel, but, if you have to use your exsisting panel, then using the block would be the best bet, only don't "wail" away on it, work it very slowlyfrom the outmost part of the damaged area to the inside. It forces the rest of the damaged area to straighten out as you move in to the worse part of it.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Shrink!

Metal panels can be "shrunk" by heating small areas up with a gas torch and quenching them with a damp/wet rag. Best to seek expert advice on the application of this treatment though as the exact opposite to rolling out Pizza dough occurs.

Take your back panel to a local Community College or Tech School Panel Shop night classes and you will learn some useful skills and fix your panel at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts