Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found more time on my hands due to an unfortunate thing today, but on the plus side i have more time for cars. took the sending unit out of my fuel tank and got it to work so i put it back int he car and tested it to make sure the guage would work, which it does so i'm proud of me!!!. anyway since the motor has been out of the car, i've had the headlight assembly all apart, and all the rear lights out of the car since i sold the buckets off my car to jordan, and replaced them with better spares i had. well headlights still work great, i can't say for the lights on the rear of the car anyway. rear turn signals do nothing at all but the front ones are OK. right tail light works, left one quit working. when you hit the brake the left light would go out completely and the right would have like a normal brake light. any leads as to what happened, i was carefully to put all connections back int he right place but i did have a little smirnoff in me when i attempted this........ok too much. sorry to inconvenience you guys. they all worked perfect before i swapped my tail light buckets. *jordan if you read this, i packaged your parts the same night, sorry about that* LOL

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Sounds like you forgot to hook up the ground wires. They are the little brown wires which connect to the body at each light opening. The other end connects to the light housing.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know i hooked all the wires back up, i'll look into that today but am waiting for a important call that can't miss, i'll check for bad grounds today, and the old man said he'd help me hook up a sterio in there today.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
im sorry to bring this post back up, but my left turn signal light wont't work. The bulb is still good. and it is hooked up the same as the right side.(right side works.) and the front turn signal lights work, but the left side one is brighter than the right side.same way with the headlights. any thoughts??

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
When one side is brighter than the other, it is usually due to a corroded wire. Since it effects all of the lights on one side, it sounds like a ground wire has gone bad. Run a temp. ground wire(-) from the battery to your light and see if this corrects the problem.

Make sure the bulbs are installed correctly. Front turn signal and rear brake lights can be installed incorrectly. The bayonet mounts on the bulbs are off center and can be forced in the incorrect way.

If the turn signal on the rear is not working, first test the bulb with a battery. They can look good, but still not work. If the bulb checks out OK, then remove the turn signal housing and hook up the wires directly to the bulb. If it still doesn't work, then hook up a temp ground and try it again. If it still doesn't work, you have a bad + wire to the turnsignal. You will have to trace the wire back to the fuse box, or run a new wire.

Good Luck.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow this thread is old, i got all my lights fixed, they were bad grounds and weak connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts