Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my running gear is in good order it's time to improve situational awareness. Side mirrors. I was initially thinking of other types but my search turned me on to Talbots. Couple of questions.

3.5" vs. 4". Just went out and measured the stock drivers mirror and it qualifies for 4.5". Is there that much difference between overall size of each for mounting on a GT?

Talbot is very proud of their mirrors. I like (and usually buy) quality parts, but they are a bit pricey, especially when 2 are needed.

Internet search and pinged a Cobra site. Talbot "type" mirrors, 4", chrome for $29.95 each. Can anyone comment on this, and/or are Talbot type mirrors available from a variety of vendors? Kinda clueless here and just starting to look. "Beware of cheap imitations?" Anyone have experience with this type $30 mirror?

As I read the archives I have to agree with a comment mentioned about Atlanta's roads; I frequent the NW and NE side Interstates. Feel naked without coverage of the right side blind spot and want to get a set of mirrors this week. It would be great if I could find a place local and do a 'hands on' in lieu of placing an order. See before buy would be cool.

doug

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just installed 4004GT Talbot-style mirrors made by Hella. They are 4.5", and were placed on the GT fenders, or wings as some would call them. I placed them there, as I could never use the door mirror when my arm was resting on the sill. The only pain is adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
mirrors

Doug;
You missed your chance, I had a set of similar type and traded them, but, look through the photo gallery, there are a few members that do have them.
Gene

·
1,973 Posts
I have the "Talbot type" it was about $40 used but never installed so it was flawless. the mirror has great clarity and doesn't come out of adjustment. It's just not very functional, with the window closed you have to turn your head at an extreme angle to get a good view out of it but because of the same style it would be the same if it was an actual talbot.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jordan, that's what I'm looking for. At 5'9" I have no complaints with the existing mirror. Just want another one on the right side. Granted the view is bound to be limited but I might as well now have a stick in my right eye. Potential suicide to take the time to look over the right shoulder around Hotlanta.

However, due to the mounting footprint of the left mirror and not wanting to really change that with a new mirror I'm thinking maybe I should be looking for a right side duplicate of the left mirror. Is there such a thing? - as I did not see a right side OEM (?) chrome mirror listed in my OGTS catalog nor did I specifically search for it - tunnel vision on a chome bullet set. At this point I'd just as soon get a matching one for the right side.

Gene - I do want to go eyeball to eyeball with you as I have a ton of questions. Just discovered a vapor lock problem above 80-85 mph so I guess I should put the heat shield back under the carb. Been hot on this side of town too as she started burping on me yesterday while out on 575. Over the next couple of evenings I intend to break down the whole right side of the engine for some pm/mod stuff but should have it back together by the weekend.

·
1,973 Posts
my mirror had a cool slotted mounting bracket, so I was able to use the stock mounting holes. but I also have not been able to find another one like it.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
wood95ss said:
.... I'm thinking maybe I should be looking for a right side duplicate of the left mirror. Is there such a thing?
Yes there is (or was) I have one on my '69 and picked up a spare from a site member at Carlisle a year or 2 ago.

Put a "Wanted" request on the Ad Board. He may have one or two left.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Vapor lock

Doug;
I have never experianced this vapor lock, but, if you're still running the metal fuel line from the pump to the carb, and it's running around in front of the motor, you might want to try Otto's trick of using the electrical wire harness wrapping and wrap the fuel line up, especially around the front of the motor.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
vapor lock

Doug;
I'm home most every weekend, so, come on by and we'll sort things out.
Gene

1 - 9 of 9 Posts