Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 68 kadett ls 1900 today, picking it up tomorrow, and I am curious to know more about them in general.

Reactions: Mercougary

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
I guess I would say Wikipedia it, I mean what do you want to know that isn’t a bit obvious? Similar drivetrain to the Opel GT, it’s what they based it on. 66-67 were the same style as the European Kadetts, but the 68-71 Kadetts in the US were a more deluxe model called the Olympia A in Europe. In 1968 theee engines were available, 1.1,1.5,1.9. A 1.5 was standard engine in the Rallye model. 1.9 was optional. Used to think you couldn’t get the 1.1 in 68, but it shows you could order it, and certain models came with it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read things about the trans tunnel being different between 1.1 cars and 1.9 cars, as well as autos. The core support/radiator mounting area being different between 1.1 cars and 1.9 cars. Is the rear axle the same as my manta? Is the 4 speed the same as was in my manta? Does it share anything with the manta? What was the standard rear axle ratio?

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
Transmission tunnels there were four different tunnels. A 1.5-1.9 4speed, 1.9 Automatic tunnel(69-71). No auto in 68. 1.1 standard shift, 1.1 sport shift. The rear end is not the same as the Manta, somewhat internally but it is identical pretty much to a GT rear differential. The 4 speed will be close as well, but a Manta used a different bell housing and shift tower may be the same. It will have an external reverse switch. It’s interchangeable, but the you would have to retain the Kadett bell housing. The block is going to be different, only a 3 bolt starter will work if it has the original engine in it. Later 70 and up had two bolt starters and will interchange. GT was not affected by this change. Core support for radiator is different as well between a 1.5-1.9 and a 1.1 car.
Kadett had a few rear gear ratios 3:18 3:67(Rallye) 3:44(same as GT). And there was maybe two others. 1.1 was a 4:11 ratio, but smaller rear differential

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the engine specs of a 68 kadett 1.9?

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
What are the engine specs of a 68 kadett 1.9?
Same as all pre-1971 1.9’s.

Flat-tops, forged rods, forged crank. 3-bearing head, rated at 9:1 compression (actually about 8.4:1), solid lifter cam, and should have a mechanical-secondary Solex.

Rated at 102 SAE gross hp back in the day. Same engine in Europe was rated at 90 PS, or about 88 SAE net hp. I have found them to be closer to 80-82 hp.

In a sub-2000 lb Kadett they move out pretty well. Even better with the right mods.

Add a 2” exhaust, ported intake, 32/36 Weber, and electronic ignition and they’ll make an honest 95 hp.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Living in the past
2,298 Posts
68 Kadett

Front fenders are welded on, not bolted on, valves must be adjusted as it has solid lifter camshaft, if it has the 1.5 engine it is slow but the head can be used on the later low compression 1.9 to pep it up if you put the 1.9 valves in it. DO NOT attempt to adjust the valves with it running as you and every thing under the hood will get a hot oil shower, run it till it gets warm, cut it off and remove the valve cover and look down through the drain holes on the head and you can see the cam lobes, bump it on the starter until the lobe is pointed straight down and set it at .012. I always put a lock nut on top of the rocker nut to keep it from backing up and making the valve adjustment loosen up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the thread size for the wheel studs?

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you.

·
Über Genius
9,018 Posts
Are you sure it's a 1.9?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a cih and the deck lid says 1900, otherwise I am not sure.

·
Über Genius
9,018 Posts
It is a cih and the deck lid says 1900, otherwise I am not sure.
Probably the 1900 then.

You can triple check by looking on the block between cylinders 2-3 and see the numbers there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it normal to have a rear sway bar but no front bar? Also was it pretty common for these to not have a radio?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the sway bar was optional, at least in the early models, my ex -68 Olympia A coupe didn't have a front sway bar while my friends -69 Kadett B coupe had one. The transverse leaf front spring made it possible to delete the bar because it acted like one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious if anyone knows the largest tire I can run on a stock wheel in the rear?

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Curious if anyone knows the largest tire I can run on a stock wheel in the rear?
Stock Kadett rim is either 4.5” or 5” wide, with 155R-13 tires. I wouldn’t go too big.

I’ve seen 1975 Opel wheels on a Kadett (5.5”) with 185/70-13 tires and they look pretty good.

With fender flares you have far more options.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not looking to go huge and want to stay with a stock body. I was figuring a 5” wheel, I saw 205/60/13 but recommended wheel width was 5.5” on the small side. 195 don’t seem to be an option. I want to do 155/80 on the front with the widest tire I can on back for an old school muscle “ big and lil’s“ look. I guess I will do the 185’s on the back. Thanks

1 - 20 of 60 Posts