Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here is the difference between my new and old BFgoodrich Radial t/a tires. I use factory wheels

New are 205 60 R 13

Old 175 70 R 13

HTH

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
4,834 Posts
The Rallye and the Wagon model 39 have rear sway bars. Cannot remember if a 1.9 LS or L did, but thinking not. They did not come with front sway bars. A lot of times when you got replacement front A Arms from the dealer, they had sway bar mounts on them. The Kadett Front sway bar mounts from the front compared to a GT that mounted in the rear of the front suspension.

Also I have ran 205/60r13 Yokohamas on a 1968 Kadett Rallye, with 73 GT wheels. They may have been off a 74 Manta though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The Rallye and the Wagon model 39 have rear sway bars. Cannot remember if a 1.9 LS or L did, but thinking not. They did not come with front sway bars. A lot of times when you got replacement front A Arms from the dealer, they had sway bar mounts on them. The Kadett Front sway bar mounts from the front compared to a GT that mounted in the rear of the front suspension.

Also I have ran 205/60r13 Yokohamas on a 1968 Kadett Rallye, with 73 GT wheels. They may have been off a 74 Manta though.
All CIH equipped Euro models had rear sway bars, as did at least 11SR and 12S equipped Kadett B:s.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is the panhard bar supposed to be straight like on my manta? It is not, has two bends in it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There is a dual carb set up on eBay, seller claims it is from a rekord, wondering if it would work well on the kadett? As far as fit and performance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The Rekord Sprint engine with two down draft Weber 40DFO's was rated at 106hp DIN and was also available in the Kadett Rallye. A pair of side drafts are more reliable and the parts availability is much larger than for the 40DFO's.

·
Opel Key Master
4,834 Posts
I have had a few of the DFO setups, and Otto ran it on his Kadett. I didn't think the Kadett Rallye came with it, but rather the Kadett Sprint model, Rekord Sprint, and Commodore GS...I may be wrong. The setup is basically the same carburetors that Ferrari used, but the DF "O" stands for Opel. The rebuild kits are out there, but there are a lot of other items to these setups that is missing, but not a huge deal. Like braces, air cleaner, then you need a sprint manifold or the new shorty header from OGTS. I had a setup on here that everything was chromed and jetcoated for, but I never ran it. The finish on the carbs is hard to get looking right again, but for $208.00 its a bargain...I would have bought it last week, but I'm kind of over those now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think I am going to hold off, thanks for the comments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have had a few of the DFO setups, and Otto ran it on his Kadett. I didn't think the Kadett Rallye came with it, but rather the Kadett Sprint model, Rekord Sprint, and Commodore GS...I may be wrong. The setup is basically the same carburetors that Ferrari used, but the DF "O" stands for Opel. The rebuild kits are out there, but there are a lot of other items to these setups that is missing, but not a huge deal. Like braces, air cleaner, then you need a sprint manifold or the new shorty header from OGTS. I had a setup on here that everything was chromed and jetcoated for, but I never ran it. The finish on the carbs is hard to get looking right again, but for $208.00 its a bargain...I would have bought it last week, but I'm kind of over those now.
There never was a Kadett Sprint, only a Rekord Sprint, the carbs were homologated for rally and race use in the Kadett Rallye. The Commodore GS had a pair of Zenith 35/40INAT carbs, but the bolt pattern is the same as on the DFO, DGV etc so it is possible to use a pair of DFO's. Here is some info of the Kadett Rallye Sprint package: http://www.steinmetz-automobiltechnik.de/pageflip_katalog_70/index.php

·
Registered
503 Posts
What I meant was that there never was a separate Kadett Sprint, they were always Rallyes with the Sprint option. And anyone with a big enough wallet could always order the parts including the badges later from the dealer or Steinmetz. You could say that the Rallye Sprints were a little bit like the COPO Chevrolets.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have low voltage to the drivers side running lights, they did work but in the process of cleaning grounds, contacts, and putting in fresh bulbs something happened. Looking for ideas on what to look at. Wipers don’t work on the switch either, if I jump it it will run on high or low.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What I meant was that there never was a separate Kadett Sprint, they were always Rallyes with the Sprint option. And anyone with a big enough wallet could always order the parts including the badges later from the dealer or Steinmetz. You could say that the Rallye Sprints were a little bit like the COPO Chevrolets.
I was thinking my car was like a factory big block 4 speed car if this was the muscle car world. Mine has radio delete too. On a side note is it normal for the bucket seats to recline? I have never had a 60’s gym with reclining factory seats.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wondering if a posi( lsd) was available In the 68 kadett? Noticed my car dug two little ruts in the alley instead of just one when I took off aggressively.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Still battling low voltage on drivers side running light circuit. When I first got the car they worked fine. Was going through replacing bulbs and cleaning grounds. I was messing with it the other day and got them to come on for a second but generally the lights aren’t getting enough voltage to turn on.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts