21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
Ouch!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
So I finally got around to disassembling my race engine. I peaked in the driver's side crank case observation port. Found the problem. No connecting rod on the third crank throw.
What broke in there? The crank, rods, or bolts?

And this is the motor you guys built overnight so you could stay in the race, right?

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
Looks like a broken cast connecting rod as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Problem solved!

So I finally got around to disassembling my race engine. I peaked in the driver's side crank case observation port. Found the problem. No connecting rod on the third crank throw.
We still have the 1.9L and tranny we pulled outta the Breadvan. Its been collecting dust in my shop for a year now. The Opel engine ran before we pulled it out for the swap with the Ford 2.3/T-5. It smoked a little (probably from sitting for years) but didn't make any unpleasant noises. Condition of transmission is unknown.

I actually sold the engine/trans combo on eBay and even though the dude paid, he never came to pick it up. I'm tired of tripping over it. Its yours for FREE.... but you gotta figure out shipping to your HQ. Its strapped to a pallet, ready to go. My ZIP is 60510 in case you want to get some bids from UShip.com. I can help with loading too.

Good luck Team Unter Puffs! If you get tired of the fragile OEM stuff, I strongly recommend the Lima 2.3 with the T-5. Fits with minimal carving to engine bay (although the engine cradle requires major modification), the 2.3 pulls like a freight train and the T-5 shifts like butter.... and the best part, you can't walk through a junkyard these days without stumbling over half dozen of each.

Darren

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the offer NotEnoughToys. I would take the motor if not for the distance to ship. Luckily I have two more engines. One out of a '73 and one disassembled from an unknown donor. The '73 motor is one we pulled from our donor car. No idea if it runs.

I have been developing a REAL bad want to build a sup'ed up CIH. We will see. I am checking what parts are salvageable from the scrap motor. Mounts, brackets and such.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts