1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
early 70's film about team Vauxhall on speed chanel right now

way cool

davegt74

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
How about that V8 Vauxhaul racecar? Man is that thing a handful to drive or what? Twitchy m*****f****r.

Bob

·
648 Posts
Guys,
I ran across the show by accident. It was too cool! I was thinking the same thing.....those cars looked like they were lots of work to drive. They sure sounded good, though. Anyone know what V8 engine that was?
James

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Small block Chevy, since Vauxhaul is corporate GM. Opel used to install 283's and 327's in various passenger cars in Germany (the standard 190 hp and 230 hp 'gross' hp rated versions, nothing hotter). Unfortunately, the cars were the larger, heavier cars (Diplomat for example) and the cars were not particularly fast, although they were *great* cruisers. Interestingly too, Opel used the 283 and 327 from 1968 until 1975 or so, even though Chevy stopped using those sizes in ?68? or thereabouts, and went with the 350, 307, and 400 engines. Maybe Opel got the leftover 'surplus' engines?

Still, it would be cool to get a set of those 'Opel' V8 valve covers for a SB Chevy over here!

Bob
'No, I'm not putting a Chevy V8 into any of my Opels'

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL not even an Aluminum V8

what kind of car was that first V8 "super solon"

it looked a little like a Monza

they did say the year before they had a bigger car

hey maybe they where using a 302

they film looked to be 73 or 74 going by some of the other cars a saw

Davegt74

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I believe the car is a Vauxhaul 'droop-snoot' Firenza, albeit heavily modified. The production car was about 2 feet narrower! Similar to the IMSA Monza'a with the massive flares. You can barely see the parent car beneath the spoilers!

Did you notice the yellow Opel Ascona rally car driven by Tony Pond at the Manx rallye? Typical Opel though, broke the rear axle.....

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep i saw the rally Opels

to bad about the one that had an off

great rally racing--- and before the days of AWD

Davegt74

1 - 7 of 7 Posts