Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, they said that the Northeast would have a damper/wetter/warmer-than-usual Winter, rather than a snowy one, and as far as southern New Jersey is concerned, that seems to be the case. Last year we had a small snowfall every 3 days. This year, just rain. I've only seen salt on the roads twice and that was just to combat the threat of a possible overnight freeze of some rain.
If I didn't have my engine troubles, I could have driven non-stop for the past year and would have. But since I didn't discover that my engine needed replacement or a redo and didn't get the new engine and it's FI and chromed goodies until January, I'm quite thankful for the rain. I don't have to trudge back and forth through snow from my nice warm basement to my frozen garage a dozen times per work session.

I'm almost done with my car, just a few more weeks of work to go.

How's Winter been where you live?

Get any Opel work done?

·
Administrator
10,066 Posts
My wagon is on the lift for a gear ratio change. Waiting for a new carrier to arrive.
I'm going from 3.73's to 3.07's to cut down highway RPM's and to make first gear useful.
The Volvo Dana 30 in the wagon has a carrier break at 3.73 and I couldn't use my old one so I needed to get another.

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
Well here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest we are on day 24 with measurable precipitation
and the record is 28 days set in 2006. We have a very good chance of breaking that record ?

Other than that we only had a short stint of snow and cold weather two weeks ago. I agree
with you Gordo, drive that Opel as often as you can ?

Nothing major on my Opel other than in a few weeks I'm planning to replace the transmission
pan with the new one I just purchased from the group buy ?. Come this summer, I need to
replace the rear main seal ? There is a very slight leak, but as we all know, small leaks lead
to flowing rivers.

·
Opeler
3,698 Posts
Beside regular annual maintenance, I removed headlight rotators, cleaned them and lubricated. Not an easy job but I am trying to reduce effort needed to flip the headlights since I installed new cable. I was always happy how my headlights can be rotated with the "thumb pressure" on the lever but it all changed when I installed new cable last winter. I am also taking an opportunity to possibly install electrical actuator and completely eliminate the cable. I will post details if successful.

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
I like that idea P.J. :) especially the older I get, it would make the process easier.
However, won't you miss that slam them in feeling ;)

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,852 Posts
Yep, not much snow in Western VA. But our snowiest weeks lie ahead: mid-Feb to mid-March. Gotta get the snowmobiles some exercise, so heading to Maine in a week or 2.

Working outside, repaired a truck trannie yesterday, and will work on the new garage some more. Opel engine rebuild coming along slooooowly.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,852 Posts
My wagon is on the lift for a gear ratio change. Waiting for a new carrier to arrive.
I'm going from 3.73's to 3.07's to cut down highway RPM's and to make first gear useful.
The Volvo Dana 30 in the wagon has a carrier break at 3.73 and I couldn't use my old one so I needed to get another.
Man that is a big gear change Gary. (Large engine?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
He has a Opel 24 valve 3L inline 6 cylinder engine with a five speed in his kadette wagon..... So power is fare from lacking

Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'm in Florida. winter?
OH YEA we were in the low 40's last week ahhahahahaha
Last week we had -20F nights with windchill of -30F........ 3+ feet of snow on the ground...

This pic is my street.

Attachments

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,852 Posts
Last week we had -20F nights with windchill of -30F........ 3+ feet of snow on the ground...

This pic is my street.
Cool Vincent....literally! What approximate area is that? Looks like a good snowmobiling area. I just might have to reconsider my destination for our upcoming snowmobile trip!

·
Administrator
10,066 Posts
He has a Opel 24 valve 3L inline 6 cylinder engine with a five speed in his Ascona wagon..... So power is fare from lacking
~230hp with a chipped ECU made first gear useless and I wanted to cut down the highway RPM's.
With the new carrier, I have several options up to 3.54 if that doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Cool Vincent....literally! What approximate area is that? Looks like a good snowmobiling area. I just might have to reconsider my destination for our upcoming snowmobile trip!
I'm east of North Bay Ontario on the Quebec border. last year we had over 4 feet on the ground. These are my favourite pictures. Sank my 700 Venture real good! lol

My Cobra 1.35 x 136" track was no match for that kinda of snow

Attachments

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've spent all winter working on building a new house and shop. The big stuff is being done by subs but I did all the low voltage wiring in both buildings (cams, automation, security, two networks, cell phone booster, lighting, etc). When that was done I decided to caulk all the stud bays for air tightness ($1500 worth of caulk, hope it was worth it). Then I installed sound insulation in a bunch of walls. Now I'm stapling up thin foam seal around the top plate throughout the house and shop. I'm trying for a tight house, 2 air changes per hour max. We should be moving in around late April or May.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,852 Posts
I'm east of North Bay Ontario on the Quebec border. last year we had over 4 feet on the ground. These are my favourite pictures. Sank my 700 Venture real good! lol

My Cobra 1.35 x 136" track was no match for that kinda of snow
LOL... good stuff, Vincent! I have actually been looking there as a place to go 'mobiling. Yes, that light powder will eat a short track up... which is what we have. 600ACE MXZ and 600 ACE GT. We're just trail riders so far.

Ran in a rally out of North Bay in summer of '92 that ran over into QC...some wild roads....and BIG rocks. Never before or since seen 'gravel' the size of grapefruit!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
is it me or do you Canadians love you McDonalds LOLOLOLOL and a hahaha

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
LOL... good stuff, Vincent! I have actually been looking there as a place to go 'mobiling. Yes, that light powder will eat a short track up... which is what we have. 600ACE MXZ and 600 ACE GT. We're just trail riders so far.

Ran in a rally out of North Bay in summer of '92 that ran over into QC...some wild roads....and BIG rocks. Never before or since seen 'gravel' the size of grapefruit!
Wow cool!!! Did you drive on hwy 63 over the river to Temiscaming? So this rally started in North Bay and finished where? Super interesting!

Yes we have lots of forest, hills rocks rivers and lakes etc.....

I don't do much real established groom trail riding, mainly back country style, deep forest, and Lake running riding... I ride about 1500 miles a winter.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
Beautiful Opel Vincent:) but you can have
all that snow ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts