Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Beautiful Opel Vincent:) but you can have
all that snow 馃槤
Thank you sir for your kind words!!! And I Love winter and I will gladly keep my snow....锟硷考:)

Opel Rallier since 1977
Wow cool!!! Did you drive on hwy 63 over the river to Temiscaming? So this rally started in North Bay and finished where? Super interesting!
It was a performance rally, like FIA rallying, not a TSD rally. It was nominally based out of North Bay but actually started and ended in a village north or NE of North Bay. Then it ran on closed sections of the gravel forest roads heading over into QC and then back. Now that I think of it, that was the the last rally my '71 Ascona finished before I ran into the trees in Maine in Dec of that year and finished it off... my old rally war horse, snifff.

If I get a little time, I will see if I can find the info in it and let you know.

Opel Rallier since 1977
Here you go Vincent..... 1992 Rally of the Voyageurs. Part of the OPRC..... Ontario Performance Rally Championship.

Here is a video with some old VHS video cam footage from that year OPRC. If you look at the start of a stage at around 11:40, I do think that is one of the roads for that event... it looks veeeery familiar. Watch this action and you'll see why rally drivers don't need drugs LOL...it's a trip!

Registered
So far winter has been fairly mild down here in central Texas, so much so that I actually had to mow my lawn the last time I was home from driving the big rig. As far as getting things done done to my GT, money has been the main issue but I did manage to pull the dashboard to check a couple of things and I found out that the reason my dash lights are so dim is that the bulbs are old. So I have new light bulbs for my dash coming from OGTS and I also narrowed down the play in my steering to a bad U-Joint on the steering shaft. I have a spare one in my parts stash so I will be working on that next time I am home.

Registered
Here you go Vincent..... 1992 Rally of the Voyageurs. Part of the OPRC..... Ontario Performance Rally Championship.

Here is a video with some old VHS video cam footage from that year OPRC. If you look at the start of a stage at around 11:40, I do think that is one of the roads for that event... it looks veeeery familiar. Watch this action and you'll see why rally drivers don't need drugs LOL...it's a trip!

That's insane!!! My hat is off to you and your abilities as drivers!!!!
Thank you so much for sharing that!

Registered
that my friend is controlled ciaos at it's best
do want Manta to give you a ride ( nope I only brought one pair of britches)

Opel Rallier since 1977
Yep.... now that I am getting close to retring, I hope to be able to do some rallying again. Running a business has been all-consuming. It's pretty neat to be racing but also way out in the netherlands with all the natural beauty around. Kinda like the enjoyment of snowmobiling that Vincent knows well....a motorized adventure.

Registered
For sure!

Do you have pictures of your present Rally car with some info / specs?

Opel Rallier since 1977
Thanks for asking. Have not rallied in over 10 years... when you run a small business, all that you have heard about working far more hours for yourself than for someone else is all true! (But it has paid off, so it was a good trade.) Before that from '77 through '92, it was a '73 Opel, and then a '71 Ascona, both saved from small wrecks and put back on the road as rally cars. Pretty much standard 50 series suspension with improved springs and shocks, stock 4 speed, hopped up 1.9L's.

Our last really active rally car was an '87 Mitsubishi Starion... 2.6L turbo, boosted to 14-15 psi about 275 HP, RWD, posi-traction IRS. Rugged, heavy tank-like car but quite potent on a smooth rally. Parked and needing TLC.

Also have a '91 Toyota Celica Alltac....Built by Rhys Millen for Pikes Peak. Been a rally car all its life. Also parked and needing TLC.

Also had a '80 Plymouth Arrow with a hotly built-up 1.6L for a bit.

Current have a '72 Manta project that has been stalled out for 7-8 years. Stripped and partly caged. Toyota pickup rear axle with a 4 link + panhard rod rear axle: plenty of cheap gear choices and posi units and the 4 link is what Opel used in their rally championship Ascona B rally cars. My own front suspension designed yet to be built. Rally valved Bilsteins all around. Maybe a T5 trannie. Gotta get through a bunch of other sutff to get back going on that.

Pix coming up.

Opel Rallier since 1977
In order:
  • The '73 Manta prior to the '78 Sunriser 400 in southern OH; me on the right and John Bell co-driver on the left
  • The '71 Ascona crossing a creek in snow flurries in the '84 Press On Regarless in the UP of MI
  • My regular co-driver John Bell from Iowa had an identical '71 Ascona that I often co-drove for him; here are pix of both of us competing at the same event in '82 in Ohio
  • Before the start of the '87 Lac Vieux rally in the UP of MI
  • DSCN0013.JPG
    bowers_33_water.jpg
    82sunriser_bellstart.jpg
    82sunriser_bowersnight1.jpg
    scan13.jpg

Registered
Awesome! Thanks for sharing all of these!

RunOpel
Very nice Manta Rallier :) thanks for sharing. Oh the good old days back when we were young and full of energy

Opel Rallier since 1977
Hey I am still full of energy.. just for ridiculouolsy short periods of time.

BTW something interesting... look on the 2nd pix at the 'B-' just above 'SCCA" on the door. They used to make us put our blood type on the cars! I just told people that was my driving grade LOL

Registered
OH YEA the good ol days when your joints and other things worked and didn't hurt for days after and our hair wasn't gray or silver LOL

Registered
Hey I am still full of energy.. just for ridiculouolsy short periods of time.

BTW something interesting... look on the 2nd pix at the 'B-' just above 'SCCA" on the door. They used to make us put our blood type on the cars! I just told people that was my driving grade LOL
Really? Lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts