Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've had a beautiful spring day here in Kalispell Montana, perfect conditions for playing with our race cars! Opening day had good attendance, some new cars and lots of the old ones sporting new paint jobs! Speedway GT gathered a crowd the minute we hit the pits!
It passed tech in only ten minutes! Weighed in on the computerized system, got the printout and were quite pleased with the specs.
On the track it was immediately noticed that the engine is now revving up good, the gearing seems right! This rookie driver was immediately pulled off to the side for a little chat, some driving lessons were in order...
Second time out was much better. The advice given ("think of the track as a big round circle, not an oval") made a huge difference. Another round of instruction from our team veteran champ included talk about "try to stay on the gas pedal as much as possible in the corners" and that was applied to my third time out, which resulted in some lap times that could be considered almost respectable. But the car was pushing a bit, tire temps up front indicate we need a bit more camber adjustment, but let me try to express what an absolute thrill it was to drive that last session! I looked like this for an hour afterwards :D .
Folks, we got us a race car here. A local contractor came to me today and offered some sponsorship, will buy four spare wheels and a new set of tires this week.
I thank all of you who have been so much help and encouragement, your advice and knowledge and parts have made it happen!!
PS, I'm quite honored. My car has its own forum!! Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Jeff it looks good. Glad to hear your day went so well. I'll bet others at the track can't say the same. You went prepared and were rewarded for it. :)

Harold

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jeff i can see montana being devoid of gts by mid season as all the competition change over to those funny little german cars :D :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Jeff,

It is great to here that you have a sponsorship already :), that will help out!! It is nice to know that other are willing to put $ in to help in your dream and have the foresight to see it will get a good return on their $. Good luck this summer it looks like it will be one of the best for Opels all over!!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
thats really awesome jeff, reminding me of the days i used to help my cousin on his circle track 77 monte. 2 kids with nothing better to do than spend all week fixing the car so he could go ROLL IT AGAIN.

car looks really great jeff, sounds like your having lots of fun, now that your gonna get the public to see the GT, just wait 2 or 3 years and see how many more pop up around you, it'll amaze you.

·
415 Posts
Another notch in the Opel GT belt! I see the respect and value of our cars going uuUUPPPPP!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys, it is so nice to have an encouraging, enthusiastic cheering section in the bleachers!
It is really an experience to build a race car. Lots of work, decisions, important details and what-ifs to sort out. All the time you think, you know, you insist that your car has to go out there and kick butt. And be safe. And look good. Well, look good enough. It is tough to make it look good up close, when it's acceptable from twenty feet away it's good enough!
It's common to look at such a car up close and say, "oh, my, this is gross."
I must admit I do it all the time, at the race track and at street rod shows. You gotta build one yourself to understand how hard it is!
Remember when I first came here a few years ago with this wild idea of racing a GT? The reception was just a bit cool, kind of guarded, only several people had seen it done. Wasn't it just another goofy way to destroy a perfectly junk classic car?
But I was determined, I persisted, and it seemed there came a point where you guys realized this was gonna happen, and volunteered tons of helpful advice! Oh, I know I raised some eyebrows by starting to part out an almost beautiful, incredibly intact Kadett, but it was rescued in time to be saved!
I hope my car is copied, but it won't happen in this town. Any of you are welcome and encouraged to do it elsewhere, I know one is in the works in New York state. Any wreck of a GT that is beyond restorable, hopelessly gutted and rusty is a perfect beginning for a Speedway clone. You have my blessings, I'm glad to help! Long live the GT!
It's neat how many people saw it in the pits and had comments like, "wow, I haven't seen one of these in twenty years" and "hey, I had one of those once". One guy told me how he had a 68 for ten years and sold it for $500, running and drivable. I asked him if he had any idea how rare, wanted, coveted a 68 GT is. He hadn't a clue! I showed him the little spot on my car that says "Thanks, www.opelgt.com" and said "go here sometime just for fun!"
He wrote it down and said he would.
When this started I didn't know there was such a following, a brotherhood even that I have fallen into and enjoy. It's almost like those silly guys with their big loud motorcycles and leather and tattoos... We're no different, are we? :D
Thanks, everyone! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts