Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i tackled my inoperative wiper motor today. removed the motor and, using jumpers, found that it does indeed work so it has to be in the wiring. i checked the fuse and it's okay. my next thought is the switch is bad (seems more likely that a wire). is there a way to test the switch without removing the dash? to complicated things, the p.o. seems to have replaced SOME of the wiring but didn't maintain the color coding. what fun!

bob

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
part of the joy is laying upside down and having my bifocals fall so i can't even begin to see what wire is going where. wind up doing a lot by "touch" which is definitely NOT the way to go.

·
Registered
616 Posts
if you have access to an ohm meter you can test switches really easily, when the switch is off there should be infinate resistance (a 1 will usually appear on the screen), if the switch is on then you should get some reading other than 1. takes a few seconds and you'll know for sure if the swutch is good or bad.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
On the face of the fuse panel towards the steering wheel there is a white plug. all the wires from the switch run through it. Purple is power from the fuse, yellow is power from the switch to the motor, blue is power for the foot switch and white is for high speed straight off the switch. If you unplug it you can ohm out the switch from the purple wire to either the yellow or white to see if it's failed. HTH

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,719 Posts
Well actually, the FSM calls the microswitch the headlamp switch:

Text Technology Electronic device Machine Electronics
Text Document Font Paper

You will need to remove the entire rotating headlight assembly from the opening. The microswitches are in the rotating mechanism at the back of the opening. Getting them out is a mutha. The screws will be frozen and will likely snap off. You access them by going to the front of the front wheel wells where you will find hand-sized cover plates. Remove the cover's and the really hard to get at 10mm bolt heads will be revealed.

You can bypass those switches, though, and make the headlights come on with the Park lights using the Park light switch. Find the headlight relay at the back of the fusebox area near the firewall. Disconnect the black and yellow wire from the relay. TAPE IT OFF! It's got live power all the time. Then jump a wire from your right or left Park lights and attach it to the terminal on the relay where the yellow/black was. That terminal is the coil on the relay. It is low power, so there's no worries about overloading circuits. Flick the Park switch and your Headlights and Park lights will come on simultaneously, regardless of whether the headlights are up or down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts