Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '70 GT. The dash lights are not working. Since they are on the same fuse as the license plate light and the fuse is good, I thought I would look into the switch. So my questions are this:
1. I have dropped the steering wheel and pulled the dash back abit. How do those switches come out?
2. How do I test power to the toggle switch
3. How can I test the switch

Appreciate all the help I can get
Dean

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Hi Dean,
Did you check the dimmer also?
No dash lights (or very dim) unless this bugger is flipped on.
View attachment 448120
And for clarity, DOWN is bright. UP is very dim.

Seldom is the dimmer switch the problem, except for being in the wrong position. More typically the feed wire to the switch (grey w/ green stripe), or power wire from it (grey) to the terminal block between the speedo and tach, is disconnected. Check those first.

·
Registered
392 Posts
And for clarity, DOWN is bright. UP is very dim.

Seldom is the dimmer switch the problem, except for being in the wrong position. More typically the feed wire to the switch (grey w/ green stripe), or power wire from it (grey) to the terminal block between the speedo and tach, is disconnected. Check those first.
Agree with all above, and would like to add, Please check to see that the Ground wire going to the steering column is not broken or otherwise a ground wire is going from the group of grounds on the speedo, down to a clean body ground. Grounds are the most common problem with items not working on the GT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you much.. I am extremely new to Opels, so appreciate all the education I can get. I think more than anything after I get the beast tore down, I was probably not exactly sure how the dimmer switch was to work. Was not aware it was separate from the light switch. So, I put it back together and lo and behold dimmer works fine....but now I have a right tail light and right front running light on with key off - back at it tomorrow

·
Registered
140 Posts
That sounds like the intentional feature that turns on parking lights with key off and turn signal lever engaged to one side or other. It’s some German thing related to parking on street at night.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
...but now I have a right tail light and right front running light on with key off - back at it tomorrow
That sounds like the intentional feature that turns on parking lights with key off and turn signal lever engaged to one side or other. It’s some German thing related to parking on street at night.
Yep, that "...is a feature, not a fault..."

The law in Germany back then required cars that parked on narrow roadways to have an outboard lamp, front and rear, left on so that other cars would see it. It should work on either side.

There is a way to disable it, by pulling a terminal or two off the fusebox, as described by JJ Wheatley's (aka Destec engineering) excellent wiring schematic. But my schematic is out in the garage, and most Opel'ers simply know to not leave the turn signal left on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yep, that "...is a feature, not a fault..."

The law in Germany back then required cars that parked on narrow roadways to have an outboard lamp, front and rear, left on so that other cars would see it. It should work on either side.
That is one I did not know. Actually drove me nuts trying to figure out the "problem" and just knew to make sure the selector was in the middle when I shut it off. Guess your never too old to learn.....LOL.

·
Opel Key Master
5,525 Posts
Actually those rheostats in the dimmers go out all the time. But there are a couple of ways to disable the Euro parking lights. One is if installing a new ignition switch, do not connect the red jumper wire to the turn signal switch. This has a 90 degree terminal and it is what powers that system. another way is to clip the gray/red and gray/black wires at the steering column black connector. Or how we actually do it in our harnesses, is to remove the two jumper wires that come from the fuse box to the black steering column connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts