Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys still make the fuel cell, big brake kit, lightened flywheel, coil overs and oil cooler on your web site? if so what are they going for these days? What do you use for radiators? I need to upgrade this too.

Thanks

Dan

·
315 Posts
Yes. Everything is special order. Unless it is general information that everyone would be interested in, contact us by email. We're supposed to keep the advertising sort of stuff off of the site.

To email someone directly, click on members button at the top of the screen... then find the person you want to email, and then click into the "CONTACT" area to go to the email section.

** Gary, correct me if I've got something wrong **

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
TGSI Racing said:
Yes. Everything is special order. Unless it is general information that everyone would be interested in, contact us by email. We're supposed to keep the advertising sort of stuff off of the site.

To email someone directly, click on members button at the top of the screen... then find the person you want to email, and then click into the "CONTACT" area to go to the email section.

** Gary, correct me if I've got something wrong **
No problem Bob. This site is meant to be a resource for Opels. You are more than welcome to add any info about TGSI that you'd like. There even is an "Opel Parts Suppliers" forum.

·
315 Posts
Thanks Gary... I'll post a little more here and then maybe some in the "Opel Parts Suppliers" forum or the racers forum.

Most of our stuff is intended for the serious racer. It will work for the street too, but since it is no compromise, "hard core" stuff, it is also expensive. The best example I can think of is the fuel cell mentioned at the top of this thread.

A gas tank is not much more than a "tin box" that you pour gasoline into. Then there are cheap "fuel cells". I use the quotes because they are not fuel cells at all. Rather, the cheapies are just plastic boxes that you pour gasoline into.

But if your life depends on it, then you want a REAL fuel cell. This is what is required by most racing organizations. A fuel cell is a deformable bladder. It is made of very tough aerospace "stuff" and is very resistant to tears or punctures. (I'm not sure the exact composition of the "stuff", but ours has FIA certification and is legal in every racing organization in the world.) The bladder is also filled with foam. The foam is also a fire retardant and helps to keep the fuel slosh to a minimum. Also, the 'cell comes with check valves in the openings (filler neck, vent tube, fuel outlet, ect.) so that if you end up upside down, the fuel won't come back out the fuel filler neck or other lines.

For our fuel cell, the bladder is custom built to fit into an aluminum container that will go into the original fuel tank location. (It even bolts into the original mounts.) The 'cell comes with the container and a remote fill kit. Our fuel cell is $1390, but you'll also need pump(s), a pressure regulator and steel braded fuel lines. So by the time you're done, it will cost $1600-$1800 for everything. As you can imagine, we only sell one of these for an Opel GT every two or three of years.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a very nice setup. More than I'm looking to pay though. I'll probably end up getting a decent one and adapting it. Thanks for the info.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Because of the tight confines of the GT out back, there are no off-the-shelf fuel cells which will fit unless you are willing to reduce capacity of the fuel carried substantially. TGSI's is the only one DESIGNED to fit the GT chassis, and is made for him by a big-name fuel cell manufacturer out of ballistic materials with approval by FIA, SCCA, NASCAR, etc. Even still, it is hardly a drop-in, as TGSI has mentioned, because of other upgrades needed.

If you want to upgrade to a new tank other than stock, you will probably have to have someone make a fuel tank. I'd weld one out of 5052 aluminum, add a generic GM 0-90 ohm fuel sender and some internal baffles, and have a removeable top so you can "service" it, and add safety foam if you require it. Not legal for most forms of racing, but safer than a rusted steel fuel can. Capacity will have to be stock or near stock, the panhard bar and rear resonator are too close to really add capacity.

Bob

·
315 Posts
A reasonable street alternative is to use the POR15 fuel tank kit on the stock fuel tank. http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html

The kit has stuff to clean out the tank, then treat any rust and scale, and last, a coating that coats the inside of the tank. I used the kit on my daughters Manta and it worked very well. This is certainly not a fuel cell, but for a street car (and only $49.00) it will do the job for a lot of tanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts