Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Super clean and extremely well done, This car is seriously bad ass!

Reactions: dpre and soybean

·
RunOpel
1,246 Posts
I would love to take that around the track. What a nice looking GT. Bet that has a lot of money wrapped up in it.

·
Living in the past
2,289 Posts
Opel drag cars

I raced on a weekly basis with two guys at Suffolk Raceway in Suffolk, Va. who ran Opel GT's one had a Ford 460 big block with a C6 automatic, really a great job of construction, and a very quick low 9, high 8 second car in the quarter mile. The other was a small block Chevrolet, 272 cubic inch de-stroked high winder (8500RPM) 5 speed transmission that was a hand-full to make go straight (short wheel base stick shift) but a really nicely built car, then there was a guy that came from New Jersey every year for the Little Guy Nationals (first weekend in November) that had a gasser GT with a straight front axle with small block Chevy and a Power-Glide named "Pocket Rocket" that always wanted to try to pit next to me and my Kadett, fun times and great times at a historic track that was the fastest times track on the east coast.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy Cow, I love the execution of all the mods on this car so much that I just had to post more pics of it. Check out the headlights, holy cow, dragster dudes don't need headlights, yet this guy did a really unique mod to fit them. Woah, check out the interior! Shiny chromy and painted! Dragster dudes almost never do that. I don't even know what that transmission thingy is. I'm flabbergasted that he did so many esthetic mods to a car that's intended to get absolutely trashed at the track.

The best GT dragster 1.jpg The best GT dragster2.jpg The best GT dragster3.jpg The best GT dragster4.jpg The best GT dragster5.jpg The best GT dragster6.jpg The best GT dragster7.jpg The best GT dragster8.jpg The best GT dragster9.jpg The best GT dragster10.jpg

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Living in the past
2,289 Posts
Garage Queen

This is the Facebook group link where I found this car:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/EdgeOfSpeed-232510392254/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10156113173292255

Reading the comments I seem to detect that this guy has been working on this car for 20 years. This may in fact be the first garage queen GT dragster I've ever seen. Maybe he just enjoyed making a beautiful Opel GT dragster masterpiece, it sure doesn't look like the car has been raced much.

:veryhappy
The car has street tires on the rear and my guess is that it is show car made up to look like a drag car. That is a Lenko transmission which has a clutch that is only used for starting & stopping, each of those levers are a gear selector and it can only be up-shifted and not downshifted.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car has street tires on the rear and my guess is that it is show car made up to look like a drag car. That is a Lenko transmission which has a clutch that is only used for starting & stopping, each of those levers are a gear selector and it can only be up-shifted and not downshifted.
Thanks for the insights, Lloyd! I was hoping to hear your explanation of what I was seeing. Holy cow, I had no idea that was how the tranny worked! I saw all those levers, didn't know what I was looking at, and they went right over my head. I guess I was so blinded by the shiny tunnel of that tranny that I didn't even think about those levers. I guess I thought they came from a backhoe!

:lmao:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The owner of this car got back to me in regards to where his headlights came from.

His name is Earl Metzler.

The headlights came from a Celica Gt.

:veryhappy

·
Spaceman
345 Posts
I don't fancy cars that will only go in a straight line or burst into a massive ball of fire if it suddenly goes side-ways. That said, and with my well known resentment against too heavily modified Classic Cars I really really think that this piece is stunning :yup:

Sorry if any of you have now coughed up your beer, coffee, gin & tonic or what-ever you where drinking onto your key-board. YES I SAID IT OUT LOUD! I actually think that the level of detail and craftsmanship makes this drag-car (or drag-queen) very very unique. Besides the endless amount of hours it must have cost a ton of money, (and those two things combined do sadly enough far from always equals the WAU factor).

Would I like to own it. Naaahh not so much, but damn I respect a guy possessing the skills to do that kind of work :notworthy

Tally ho.

·
Opeler
1,417 Posts
Holy cow, 70% of the rear end is tire! It's practically a steamroller.

It's almost like someone ziptied their winter tire bundles together and stuck them alongside their existing tires. There's easily 300% tire width on there :p
Yep, looking at the rear view of this car is a little bit like looking at Kim Kardashian walking away!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yep, looking at the rear view of this car is a little bit like looking at Kim Kardashian walking away!
Yep, but the Gts rear doesn't wiggle/jiggle like 2 basketballs bouncing. What you don't like big butts? :lmao::yup: Jarrell

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I LIKE BIG BUTTS oops sorry that"s a different site

Yea that sucker is freakin awesome
I hate to admit it folks but If I owned it and I wouldn't mind problem is it would never leave my garage Because I would always be cleaning my drool off of it:yup:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I LIKE BIG BUTTS oops sorry that"s a different site

Yea that sucker is freakin awesome
I hate to admit it folks but If I owned it and I wouldn't mind problem is it would never leave my garage Because I would always be cleaning my drool off of it:yup:
Ok Terry, you asked for this one, Which one are you drooling over in your Garage? Yeah,unhuh? Like Big Butts. OK. Does your wife know about this affliction?:lmao::haha: Jarrell

1 - 20 of 33 Posts