Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Placed my ORDER after 6:00 pm. Order #XXXXXX - 11/20/19 - [To be confirmed]
Added bonus gaskets and OPGTS will reduce final price when Credit Card is telephone/ email verified?
Need manifold to block USED brace (see attachments). If you have one?
First time I used the new and improved web site.

YOUR ORDER
Part Number Item Product Name Unit Unit Price Color Quantity Price
10023SS 10023ss_opel_shorty_header_photo01 Opel "Shorty" Header each $229.00 -------- 1 $229.00

10012A 10012a_opel_header_gasket_thin_photo Header Gasket, 1.9L - 2.0L (Thin style) each $15.00 -------- 1 $15.00

10009 10009_opel_exhaust_flange_gasket_photo02 Gasket, Exhaust Manifold to Head Pipe ea. $5.00 -------- 1 $5.00
Catalog $0.00
Total $249.00

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
P
Need manifold to block USED brace (see attachments). If you have one?
Well, I have one, all nicely blasted and painted with high temp paint, but I planned to use it. However, my GT didn't have one when I bought it 41 (yea, FORTY ONE) years ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out where that damned bracket goes. I had decided that it simply wouldn't work for my Sprint exhaust manifold, but that might be because I was trying to fit the bracket between the intake and exhaust manifolds.

So where DOES it attach?

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Well, I have one, all nicely blasted and painted with high temp paint, but I planned to use it. However, my GT didn't have one when I bought it 41 (yea, FORTY ONE) years ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out where that damned bracket goes. I had decided that it simply wouldn't work for my Sprint exhaust manifold, but that might be because I was trying to fit the bracket between the intake and exhaust manifolds.

So where DOES it attach?
See my previous Post #7.
:pat: Too bad we lost some of our picture history.
https://www.opelgt.com/forums/6d-exhaust-system/4446-where-does-bracket-go.html#post35526
https://www.opelgt.com/forums/polls/107923-poll-what-exhaust-manifold-does-your-opel-have.html#post1394833

It's on my completely stock '69 Kadett, as well . . . is a universal CIH exhaust manifold support bracket. Mounts between the front bell-housing support bracket bolt in right side of engine (slotted end) and exhaust manifold rear outer head-pipe mounting bolt (hole end).
Exhaust manifold brace in picture at lower LH corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are shipping this Shorty Header worldwide.

It fits the GT, Manta, Kadett, and Ascona using the 1.9L head pipe

The OGTS Team :veryhappy

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,618 Posts
MUST..... HAVE.... SHORTY.....Damn you OGTS for taking advantage of my weaknesses! :cussing: LOL

Now I must invoke the ultimate antidote to wonton automotive spending.... THE WIFE!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I currently running the ceramic coated 4 into 1 header from OGTS.... what advantage does this shorty headers have over the older style ?

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
I currently running the ceramic coated 4 into 1 header from OGTS.... what advantage does this shorty headers have over the older style ?
Vincent, I don't think the shorty header is any better than the full length header, and in fact it is likely slightly worse. But for someone who wants the advantage of no heat soak into the intake manifold that the factory exhaust manifold creates, and can't find a '75 Sprint (or similar Euro) manifold, the shorty header allows that without having to modify the exhaust piping.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Now, what Opel GT Owners need is two (2) piece enhanced, exhaust head pipe.
Two piece design would allow cost effective shipping. Hope that they are working on it?

https://opelgtsource.com/search/2975/details
Car type: OPEL GT Category: Exhaust Head Pipe, Opel GT 1.9L
Part: 10004 Price: $149.00 Description:
Head pipe, is original-style exhaust pipe that connects from the bottom of the exhaust manifold to the front muffler.
Installs using part #10009 gasket and set of part #10011 bolts.

Heard random complaints regarding stainless steel muffler/ resonator exhaust kit.
Picture suggest that maybe newer design might be improved?
https://opelgtsource.com/search/3284/details

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
The Sprint manifold (and by default the OGTS shorty header) qualifies as a 4-2-1 (or Tri-Y) style header. 4 tubes merge into 2 tubes, which then merge into one tube. This type of exhaust is more forgiving in terms of ‘tuning’. The tubing lengths aren’t as critical, and they tend to have a broad, flat torque curve compared to a short 4-into-1 header.

Back 25 years ago or so, when comparing a typical 4-1 header compared to a Sprint 4-2-1 system, the 4-1 made a little more top end power, like 2-3 HP more. But the 4-2-1 made more low and mid rpm power and torque over a broader range. In a full-on max RPM drag race the 4-1 was slightly better, but in real world low rpm driving the 4-2-1 was far better.

Your results might vary, but that’s my take on it.

The other advantage to the new shorty Sprint replica is weight. I haven’t used one of Gil’s replica’s, but my own fabricated versions are almost exactly half the weight of a factory cast iron Sprint.

Not to mention, the 4-2-1 tends to be much easier to install and has better all around chassis/engine/ground clearance than a 4-1 header.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The Sprint manifold (and by default the OGTS shorty header) qualifies as a 4-2-1 (or Tri-Y) style header. 4 tubes merge into 2 tubes, which then merge into one tube. This type of exhaust is more forgiving in terms of ‘tuning’. The tubing lengths aren’t as critical, and they tend to have a broad, flat torque curve compared to a short 4-into-1 header.

Back 25 years ago or so, when comparing a typical 4-1 header compared to a Sprint 4-2-1 system, the 4-1 made a little more top end power, like 2-3 HP more. But the 4-2-1 made more low and mid rpm power and torque over a broader range. In a full-on max RPM drag race the 4-1 was slightly better, but in real world low rpm driving the 4-2-1 was far better.

The other advantage to the new shorty Sprint replica is weight. I haven’t used one of Gil’s replica’s, but my own fabricated versions are almost exactly half the weight of a factory cast iron Sprint.

Not to mention, the 4-2-1 tends to be much easier to install and has better all around chassis/engine/ground clearance than a 4-1 header.
Thank you for that excellent explanation Bob!

Reactions: soybean

·
Spaceman
339 Posts

Damn you Rally Bob, after that explanation I just have to have :yup:..- and shipping to DK could be a killer :no:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why don't you just ask what it costs to ship it to Denmark ?:) People order parts from the US all the time so I can't imagine it would be any more expensive to Denmark than to Finland or Sweden.:)

·
Spaceman
339 Posts
Why don't you just ask what it costs to ship it to Denmark ?:) People order parts from the US all the time so I can't imagine it would be any more expensive to Denmark than to Finland or Sweden.:)
Hello my friend :yup:, Ill give Gil and the OGTS team a shout on Monday to ask for the shipping price. The approx. import tax I already know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts