Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, you know the big, ugly clock on the non-fancy mantas, right?

my question is just, does this clock ever show the correct time, or is mine just broken? it goes "tick, tack" (pretty loud too) and moves, but not at the right speed. a friend of mine says that these clocks on old cars never work right, and that its normal.. and shouldn't pay any attention to it.

but seems quite pointless putting it there then.

its a wind up mechanism, so is it posible that the spring expands and contracts at different temperatures thus making the clock malfunction?
thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Sven;
If it's a Manta A that you have, most of us replace that clock with a tachometer. Most of the modern digital stereos have a clock in them, we don't bother with the OEM clock.
Gene

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
The big clock on the Manta A's were found on the Luxus Model. The base model had an even uglier blank in that space. I believe there is a small screw on the back of the unit which can increase or decrease the speed of the clock. It is a royal pain in the a__ to do.

I agree with Gene, get a tachometer and use a modern radio for your clock.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right, so it's junk. putting an AA battery operated mechanism from a supermarket alarm clock seems like a good idea.

I can't belive they would put a blank in there, how much could that clock cost in 1970? both my mantas have the clock, never seen one with anything else... my tachometer is an external one, so there'd be no point putting another one in.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the manta rallye at the house has a speedo, tach, guage with temp and gas with a bunch of dummy lights. clock, oil pressure, and amp guages hang off the bottom of the dash in the center.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the little console under the stereo is nice, but i prefer the gauges higher up... i used up the two middle vent holes for oil pressure and ammeter they fit like the holes were made for them, and i can do without the ventilation, window is allways open anyway. :)

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
thats a neat idea too, most modern sterios have the clock built into them so it'd be no big loss not having the stock clock anymore.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Opel time

I don't remember the Mantas clocks being extremely acurate. Could have been thier way of saying " doesn't time fly while driving a Manta". The GTs were like an indicator of remaining factory warranty or impending wiring mysteries. I can hear it now "clock stopped I guess the warranty is over".

I'm just joking I'm sure there are Opel clocks that keep good time and still work. I just haven't seen one in 15 years that wasn't a fixed one.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the one in my GT is not a fixed one but slowly looses time. loose a hour every week and a half to two weeks. its nota "fixed" one either

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.