Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I have been swamped with work and other problems therefore have not been able to do any posting.

The "Junk Yard Dog" is coming along quite well and should be ready to drive by the end of this month. This car has lots of upgrades that have been recycled from 14 other vehicles, hence the name.

1. We started off by replacing the front clip with one out of a Manta. Yes the same Manta I got from Steve a while back that had severe rust problems. The fenders were fine after the 3-step soda cleaning, but the hood had several large cancerous areas; which we ended up grafting part of a 1969 Mopar hood on to it.
2. The body was then clean-cut of all external moldings, door handles and other un-necessary items. The result was a very streamline body which will stand out when examined. A rear spoiler from a Honda Civic was installed and the third brake light was made part of the braking circuit.
3. Part of the suspension was replaced with Chevy Vega mechanicals to tighten up some of the original slack the car had. End result was a tighter front end which greatly improved the cornering capabilities of the vehicle. The rear end was also rebuilt and re-fitted with a Ford Contour LSD FWD gear assembly that was slightly machined to accept Opel bearings.
4. The engine was rebuilt using Chevy pistons and valves, painted in the traditional Green/Black Gargoyle colors. The head now employs a compliment of 1.72” intake and 1.60” exhaust valves with a Lunati cam, lifters and springs. The rest remained stock for now since we are using a Supercharger on this engine. No specs will be released on this engine until fully tested.
5. The 240Cfm/8Psi Supercharger was built from scratch to serve the 1.9L Opel engine exclusively. The product, if I decide to sell them later on, will install on a GT or Manta in less than 1 Hour and only minor tuning is required.
6. The transmission was rebuilt and re-sealed with a new BMW gear set I purchased in Germany a few months ago. The gear set is a bit odd since it has a 0.94:1 ratio 4th gear, but should prove interesting when on the road.

I practically used up lots of favors on this car but the end result will be quite interesting. This one will be my final Opel build for a while so I wanted it to be somewhat special and unique. I will post all pictures of the car as it was assembled in the next few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Those don't look like steel toed sandals, Juan.
Sounds and looks good. I will be interested to hear the specs on the engine with the supercharger!

·
Banned
420 Posts
Will you be driving it to the GA meet? I plan to attend. Maybe even driving an Opel. If not in the 7 and interested in any and all suggestions for it at the time. Always interested in seeing a good build. Jesse

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
think im going blind
just spent 5 min trying to work out why the hood bracket has an air line quick connector fitted to it in the first photo before i spotted the DA behind it

think its time for a sleep

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Will you be driving it to the GA meet? I plan to attend. Maybe even driving an Opel. If not in the 7 and interested in any and all suggestions for it at the time. Always intested in seeing a good build. Jesse
I don't know when that is going to be just yet but the car should be driveable in the next week or so. I am missing a few items, like door panels and so on, but should not impeed the car from hitting the road. On a curious note, Opels USA in Cali wants to sell me the door panels, I asked for pictures and pricing and 4 weeks later I am still waiting!

think im going blind
just spent 5 min trying to work out why the hood bracket has an air line quick connector fitted to it in the first photo before i spotted the DA behind it

think its time for a sleep
I believe you had one to many pints today!

I have over 300 pictures of this car in the difference work stages, will try to start posting a few every night until done.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I ordered a Manta Carpet kit from OpelUSA 2 weeks ago, and got it within a week,-seemed pretty quick on the response... so maybe he has forgotten, might have to give him a little nudge.
Keith
I got a Ascona wagon that has two good panels on it so I'm going to use it for this car. As to the nudge, when someone tells you they are emailing pictures today and four weeks go by, they are most likely removed from our vendor list.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
woof woof lets see if the dog can run
The 240Cfm/8Psi Supercharger was built from scratch to serve the 1.9L Opel engine exclusively. The product, if I decide to sell them later on, will install on a GT or Manta in less than 1 Hour and only minor tuning is required.
It's not like it's a double standard.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hello All!
I guess another update is in order, time is something I do not have much off these days!

Here are a few more pics of the dog as it develops into an assembly, instead of a few parts thrown together. The body had been gone over twice and now sits with a top coat of Lab Metal, waiting for final sanding before the painting ritual.

It is looking mean, like a Junk Yard Dog should!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few more after 14 coats of Rustoleum White and 4 coats of Rustoleum Clear. We added a bit of Gray to the base color to make it look a bit dirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Just a few more before we start outer assembly.

The transformation compliments the car quite well!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Looks great! You "sprayed" Rustoleum? I am rolling it, and doing well.

Jim :cool:
Any which way will work with Rustoleum, you can even use a spray bottle and will come out good.

Spraying eliminates the need to sand in between coats. It is time dependent, flash time is different from regular paint so we sprayed the first 5 coats and sanded. Next day 5 coats and sanded, then next day 3 coats and sanded. The final coat then became the catalyst for the clear therefore when it flashed, we continued with clear.

All that is left to do is to wet sand and polish. Hell I even painted my '68 Mustang with Rustoleum and looks quite well.

·
New/Old Owner 1973 GT
860 Posts
Any which way will work with Rustoleum, you can even use a spray bottle and will come out good.

Spraying eliminates the need to sand in between coats. It is time dependent, flash time is different from regular paint so we sprayed the first 5 coats and sanded. Next day 5 coats and sanded, then next day 3 coats and sanded. The final coat then became the catalyst for the clear therefore when it flashed, we continued with clear.

All that is left to do is to wet sand and polish. Hell I even painted my '68 Mustang with Rustoleum and looks quite well.
Sounds easier than what I am doing! Unfortunately I live in a townhouse with a strong association, so spraying is not in the cards.

Looks great though!

Jim :cool:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts