Opel GT Forum banner

The dreaded Solex

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fredopelgt 
#1 · (Edited)
:eek: I am restoring an interesting hibrid US / Euro 69/70 GT due to its unique nature I wish to restore this car to its orginal state.....

So this requires the use of the "Dreaded Solex", I'm hoping to find a fan!!!!

I have a brand new Solex is it posible to re jet and re-neddlethe monster to improve performance.

Don't ask how much how much I've sent on this car, that is why I haven't entered the poll.

Please help.

Its only money that keeps your GT flying... However I'm poor

#2 · (Edited)
My '69 Kadett with Solex

fredopelgt said:
:eek: I am restoring an interesting hibrid US / Euro 69/70 GT due to its unique nature I wish to restore this car to its orginal state.....

So this requires the use of the "Dreaded Solex", I'm hoping to find a fan!!!!

I have a brand new Solex is it posible to re jet and re-neddlethe monster to improve performance.

Don't ask how much how much I've sent on this car, that is why I haven't entered the poll.

Please help.

Its only money that keeps your GT flying... However I'm poor
Why are you wanting to "re-jet" the carb if it's the original? The carb is correctly jetted for the HC engine and, other than float drop, choke, idle air, idle mixture and throttle stop, you shouldn't have to mess with anything! DO NOT over-torque the four stud mounting nuts, as this is where a lot of "self-inflicted" problems with the Solex arise . . . a deformed throttle base! :(

I restored my '69 Kadett (same engine as yours) back to complete stock and was VERY thankful the owner hadn't tossed the original Solex and air cleaner! Runs perfect on unleaded 87 octane, no less . . . even in Texas heat! Really don't understand why everyone bitches about them, if they were really that bad none of the German cars would have used them exclusively for as long as they did, especially not BMW or Mercedes! :mad:

KNOW I'm going to get grief from the "just change to Weber" crowd over this, but there it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.