Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1604 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to make this the recurring thread where I/we can post current eBay Opel finds, rather making a seperate thread for each find. We'll see if I stick with it. Feel free to post your finds to this thread in the future.

Here's a car and parts that looks to be a good score for someone in the DelMarVa/NJ/PA/NY area:

1973 Opel GT project car, lots and lots of extras, low mile car, several motors | eBay

A fixed up head, trannies, 2.5" exhaust(I want that!), etc. go with the deal at $1500

·
Registered
895 Posts
And how can you go wrong dealing with someone who calls themselves "whitetrash"?

Seriously though, it looks like a much better $1500 investment than my first eBay Opel purchase....:banghead:

·
Hoosier Opeler
2,376 Posts
Dude collected a lot of parts! :yup:
I agree that someone (with time to do it) could probably sell the extras and recoup the purchase price. Still quite a project to get a drive-able GT out of the pile, but could be a fun challenge for somebody with more ambition than me!
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Opeler
1,115 Posts
And how can you go wrong dealing with someone who calls themselves "whitetrash"?
LOL, I used to have a neighbor who's FleaBay name was "FargoTrash" which I always thought was pretty funny for about the same reason, except for the small fact that the guy actually worked for the local waste management division here in town :)

As for the model re listed at 5g's, I have noticed the same disturbing trend in some of the auctions for Opel parts too. It's like they think people are stupid and don't watch the auctions. "Gee, it didn't sell for 3g's so I will list it for 5g's and a richer clientele will look and buy it for sure" :banghead:

Some of the Opel parts I have seen the same kinda crap on are the taillights. You will see them listed in a buy it now for 40 bucks, won't sell, and next thing you know it's relisted for 80 bucks. Like I am gonna buy it for more to pay for it's failure to sell the first half dozen times around:no:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chromed valve cover

I've never seen a valve cover like this chromed:

1969-73 OPEL GT CHROME VALVE COVER | eBay

I guess that's a steel valve cover from a non-GT? For a 1.9? I don't remember seeing that indentation in the top middle before. $200 is a fair price, but it's just about what you would pay to send your own cover out to get chromed, plus the "value" of the cover. If it stayed around $200(or a Best Offer for less) I'd consider buying it, but I already have two chromed covers.

·
Hoosier Opeler
2,376 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Is this a Getrag? The kind we use? Don't know anything about them.

BMW E30 E21 2002 M10 240 manual 5 speed transmission Opel Clutch Flywheel NR | eBay
Hi Gordon,
That looks like a Getrag........however from what I gather from all of the getrag posts here, the only thing this would possibly be good for would be internal parts as the bellhousing casting for this transmission will not line up with the Opel block......
That's the real shame here......so many BMW's laying around in our country with that transmission and none can be direct bolted to our motor.......Myself, I have the 3 speed automatic but prefer to shift my sports car. One day, one day I hope to start collecting the parts to make that happen.

The thing I never understood with this transmission and I hope someone with more knowledge on this can help me out here: WHY did the Getrag engineers design, engineer and cast different transmission cases for different auto manufacturers when it would be more cost effective to have a bolt on flywheel housing much like the Opel 4 speed and every American manual transmission built in the 1960's/70's.

To me, that's the 2500 dollar question!

Take Care,
Mike

·
Opeler
1,115 Posts
From what I have read here, and I have poured over this info A LOT, the answer is NO. The Getrag's that "we" are supposed to use must come from an Opel product with the CIH Opel Engine. The bell housings are different from the BMW (and others for that matter) trans in comparison to the Opel CIH version. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will step in and verify, but I am fairly well certain I am not wrong.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Post clearly states a BMW 240.... This will not fit the Opel CIH engine.

Same internals for the most part. different bell housing that will not fit Opel. Ron

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,392 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
A nice deal if it goes for less than $5000. The list of new parts is huge. Aluminum radiator!
Opel : 1900 Opel : 1900 | eBay
Agree.......it's a shame all of that money is spent on bringing back a car, only to see pennies on the dollar when they have to sell due to monetary issues. The aluminum radiator alone was a pretty good chunk of change. When you look at the opening bids compared to what the owner put in, the bids are a downright insult!

Take Care,
Mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agree.......it's a shame all of that money is spent on bringing back a car, only to see pennies on the dollar when they have to sell due to monetary issues. The aluminum radiator alone was a pretty good chunk of change. When you look at the opening bids compared to what the owner put in, the bids are a downright insult!

Take Care,
Mike
I agree. someone hit 1500.

1 - 20 of 1604 Posts