Opel GT Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1604 Posts

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
A '69 should also have a push button on the end of the turn signal lever. A flat rear panel as well. It has a faux wood steering wheel but that could have been changed out. This one also seems to have the double hook hood latch, not found on a '69.

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
The drivers side window crank is not in the right location. It should be down low in a '69. (I keep hitting my foot on mine when getting out)
I wasn't 100% sure about that one but relatively sure.

At this point, it's clear this isn't a '69.
With the picture of the row of cars behind it, one can assume it's a dealer. Why is this important? I think before anyone buys this car they need to do a VIN check. If the VIN checks out to be a '69, it's a serial number swap. For $13K it better not be a serial number swap (though just about no DMV would ever know or care).

Reactions: lezliewk (R.I.P.)

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
ebay 1969 ????

I was looking at this one on ebay, states it is very low mile 1969, But everything I see on this car say 71 or later? Any thoughts

1969 Opel GT Coupe 2-Door

1969-70 wheels, 69-70 emblems on the side fenders. 1969-70 emblem on the tail, but it is painted black. U.S. ones are red. Black seats with light carpet, they should match. Engine bay painted black, should match the rest of the car. Wrong oil cap.

Nice looking car but with low mileage, things don't add up. It may be 100K+ miles.

·
Opeler
250 Posts
I noticed that a vin number was not given that would have helped. The panel behind the license plate is recessed when it should be smooth. The steering wheel may have been changed out because the rubber ones in 1970 didn't last too well. The side windows are pop outs which came with the 71's. Probably he just exchanged the fix window for the pop outs. There is even a tray under the handbrake which wasn't on the 69's. I've got a feeling that this car is an early 70 that he personalized.

·
802 Posts
He stated to me the vin# on the title matches the car, I would say the plate has been changed, With all I see on the car out of place for a 69 who would paint under the hood of a low mile car like that, Good luck to him, It is a very nice looking GT :yup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
more than two thousand dollars and the seller can't be bothered to post more than a single photo of a dusty engine? No documentation of internal work? No info on how many miles /hours on it since assembly? A real confidence builder...

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,372 (Edited)
As with anything, buyer beware, or be aware.

:veryhappy

Looking at it again, it looks like it was installed and fully hooked up, then removed. Fuel line, hoses, etc. still attached. Did it ever run? Looks like it was installed far enough where it could have been. Many questions......

Hmmmm......I went back, asked a question, then looked at his feedback. Only 1 or 2 purchases from car sites, yet about 100 purchases in the past year from radio controlled car places.

Maybe he took the engine out so that he could make the first radio controlled electric Opel?

:lmao:

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
more than two thousand dollars and the seller can't be bothered to post more than a single photo of a dusty engine? No documentation of internal work? No info on how many miles /hours on it since assembly? A real confidence builder...
I'm with you. Before I spend 3 grand on an engine, I want to see compression numbers, and would even pull the head and oil pan.
Receipts don't tell the story. Pictures do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's a 2.0 engine with porting and performance cam, plus Weber 38, ceramic headers, and other goodies for a nice price:

Opel High Performance 1.9L to 2.0L conversion Engine | eBay
my post disappeared after I opened to edit and left the computer and forgot about it. Yeah, It would take more than a single photo of a dust covered engine and a minimal description to get me to part with close to three grand.... D for effort on this listing

·
Registered
448 Posts
HOLY MOLY!!! :yikes: Check out this ebay post for a GT rear trim strip. I was following it for a while and made a bid when it was $61 bucks. I can't believe my eyes when I came back to it!

1969 Opel GT Rear Trim Strip | eBay

$445???? WOW!!! OGTS has an aluminum one for $275. It's hard to tell from the pic how good the listed one is! I guess if you want original, you can definitely pay for it!

·
Vendor
2,590 Posts

Attachments

1361 - 1380 of 1604 Posts