Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
greensmurf20 said:
come home from school, and . . . turn the key to see if she'd fire up again.........to my complete surprise, it whirled over once the ground strap was fixed and ran pretty good, considering its 30 degrees in the barn. just might have it right this time!

The importance of GOOD GROUND (EARTH) CONNECTIONS cannot be overemphasized, ESPECIALLY in our old Opels!

Contrary to what you may believe, CURRENT flows from MINUS to PLUS in an electrical circuit!

If ANYTHING, GROUNDS are more important in electrical circuits than the PLUS connections!

Want proof? Currently (for the last 5-7 years) manufactured electrical fuel pumps, fairly high current devices, have a larger wiring stud AND recommend using a heavier gauge hookup wire in their installation instructions for the MINUS (GROUND) side than the PLUS side!!

NUFF SAID!!

:mad:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Earth Wires

Some of the "Rice Boys" use a dedicated earth return wire system to hook everything back up to the battery negative terminal so that the electricity goes to the lights/coil/ECU etc. through real wires and not through the body of the car.

Seen them on EBay as "earth returns"

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
While at A & P school, my electrics instructor emphasized over and over again the importance of good clean grounds. He supplemented his income by fixing electrical problems on civilian aircraft. He was very expensive and usually the last one they would call. He told us that 90% of all electrical problems he fixed could be traced back to a bad ground. Like I've said: Check and double check, and like Otto said: NUFF SAID.

Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Grounding

I just spent the last year in the Middle East building Technical Control Facilities (Communications buildings) and everyone from the Chief Installer through the Q/A Final Inspectors were DEATH on grounding! We used 12AWG for A/C and 6AWG coming out of the cabinets that were connected to a 1/0 ground ring and then grounded to bus bars at several locations to, ultimately, be taken to the ground system outside the facility. Comms equipment can do some FUNNY things when not grounded properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts