Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opeler
859 Posts
That will be quite a way for them to cut their teeth on your car. Hope you are doing well as your car takes this long journey.

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
PJ,
Should be a piece of cake in your beautiful GT. After this trip, I'm confident that the new owners will not hesitate to drive it anywhere.
Your car truly lived up to the GT branding- "Gran Touring-an automobile that is able to travel at a high rate of speed for a long distance in both comfort and style."
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
749 Posts
Of course ditto to what Ron said 🙂 I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been say goodbye. Can you tell us a bit more about who the people are that bought it PJ? We’re they good friends or relatives? I don’t want to invade on others privacy. I’m just interested in knowing more when and if you’re ready to tell us more about the story and what went into your decision to let them be the very fortunate new owner(s) sometime. I’ll bet they’re having fun driving it now and hope they take very good care of it.

·
Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I spoke to Vince (the new owner). He is driving with his brother. He might introduce himself later if he wants to. An hour ago they were already in Sudbury (Northern Ontario). At that pace, they will likely reach Thunder Bay tonight. Yes, they are having fun except for fighting who gets to drive the car.

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
PJ, I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to watch that machine drive away. Best of luck with your health battle my friend. I hope you beat it and build another fantastic car.

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
PJ, I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to watch that machine drive away. Best of luck with your health battle my friend. I hope you beat it and build another fantastic car.

·
Super Moderator
5,765 Posts
PJ, I can't tell you how much I wanted to come visit to meet you, and to assist in driving your car back to Calgary. But life and work and a bunch of things just wouldn't make it happen. I'm glad to hear that Vince's brother is helping with the drive. I regularly drive back and forth to Winnipeg, sometimes solo, but it's a heck of a long trek from Ontario, even with company.

I am looking forward to seeing it, probably wrenching on it occasionally, and I'd love to get to help drive it back to Goderich when you recover.

Get well my friend.

·
Registered
492 Posts
An hour ago they were already in Sudbury (Northern Ontario). At that pace, they will likely reach Thunder Bay tonight. Yes, they are having fun except for fighting who gets to drive the car.
Ugh.

Arguing over who has to drive the car probably. Even one as nice as yours.

The passage through basically the only east/west road through Ontario is so terrible most Canadians opt to go south through the States.

The highway is build through the Canadian Shield, a pockmarked granite slab covered with only a dusting of soil and moss that covers 1/3 of the country. Nothing is straight, nothing is interesting, just endless bumpy rock and brush. I don't think I'm exaggerating, I think there's literally only one road. Too expensive to build, you can't dig, it's like looking at a fractal of shallow lakes down to puddle size. No farms, no inhabitants for like a day's driving and the scenery never changes.

We have a Bay the size of the Gulf of Mexico with only a few villages on the entire coastline, because to get there would be 6 hours of driving on the Canadian Shield even in a straight line. So they've never built a road. Literally no roads through it. Economically impassable terrain. Imagine Florida to Texas, times 3, and there's only maybe 1000 people total settled along that coast, with no roads in or out or within hundreds of miles.

The road through is really just a road along the southern border of Canada, hugging the great lakes. And even that has hardly anyone living on it. It's gas stations and weather stations.

Knew someone who drove from I think Halifax to Calgary in 4 days. All 3 nights were spent in Ontario. Miserable drive. Then you hit the prairies and, well, there's a road every mile but I hope you like looking at grass, because that's what the next 18 hours after that is.

You know someone really values this GT if they're willing to put up with that drive just to get it home :p

·
Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just received short message from Vincent:

Hello PJ,
We are doing great. Enjoying the ride and scenery. We are in Thunder Bay, so half way.
The car is a pleasure to drive and returning around 500 km per tank so all is perfect.
Vince

·
Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another message from Vincent and his brother:

All is still good just hitting the Alberta border. Car is in need of a bath. We have killed many bugs.
We are both enjoying driving the car. My brother a little too much, thinks he is Mario Andretti.
Vince

At this pace, they will be in Calgary tonight. 3600 km (2200 miles) in 3 days. Not too shabby.

·
What's a Nopel?
349 Posts
PJ,
I am still sorry you had to sell your beloved GT. I hope that you will recover soon & find another GT to restore. It is a testament to your skill that someone could purchase a 50 year old vehicle and drive it cross country.
Great Job,
Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts