1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
- Old cable was frayed and required replacing
- The old cable really needed to be adjusted as the emergency brake was not working very well at all - did not really engage until almost all the way up - would hold the car in place in a parking situation but that's about all
- New cable installed and properly adjusted, I think, and engages when the handle is pulled about 1/3 of the way up but the harder I pull it does not make very much of a difference - the way it is now it may slow the car down but would not stop it in an emergency situation - the cable is threaded in the two undercarriage locations with the grommets that came with the unit and it fit well into the outside of the rear of the brake drum backing and is firmly held in place by the retaining C ring
- The rear brake mechanism is the old style with the hook that the ball fits into
- I have looked at a lot of old threads and have not come across anything that has shown me the light and hoping someone has a keen eye and it is a simple fix - those simple fixes are few and far between. Thanking you in advance for you help. See pictures....