Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has it and what are the details? I just have to know cause its bugging me.

I think I would even count the Cycles IF any exist any more!

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Well, 1958 is the first official year of imported Opels. I know of quite a few 1958-1959 Rekords.

But there are a few older ones, Rick Graham of Huntington Beach, CA has a 1932? (can't recall) convertible Opel. Unrestored as of now.....

I know in northern Ca there was another Opel from the '20's or '30's that was restored for show use, and I've heard of some early '50's Opels kicking around too, mostly Kapitans.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
I have a running '51 Olympia with 41,000 miles on it sitting in my garage. (I have Opels from 4 decades)

Last year at Carlisle, a guy approached my about a '27 that he has on Long Island. It was pretty rough and was missing half its parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oldest Opel Auto in the U.S.A.

The oldest Opel I am aware of is a 1929 18L Limosine on Long Island. It is in very rough shape and I have inspected it in person. It has the blackout wartime headlamps and was used (ironically) by a man who was a civil defense warden there. Bought it from the German embassy as I recall.

I own a 1932 18C Cabrolet. It is in unrestored condition, but generally is ready to run.

Other old Opels that I have known about are a 1939 Admiral in Indiana, a 1931 Moonlight 18 roadster in No. Cal and then So. Cal and then? Looked at a 1939 Kapitan here in the L.A. area. Assisted in selling back to Germany a 1937 Glasier Super 6 Convertible that was fully restored by a lady in Costa Mesa CA. Also a
mid-thirtys in GA, model not recalled.

Hope this answers your question.

Keep on Opeling,
Rick

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Mantaman72 said:
The oldest Opel I am aware of is a 1929 18L Limosine on Long Island. It is in very rough shape and I have inspected it in person. It has the blackout wartime headlamps and was used (ironically) by a man who was a civil defense warden there. Bought it from the German embassy as I recall.

I own a 1932 18C Cabrolet. It is in unrestored condition, but generally is ready to run.

Other old Opels that I have known about are a 1939 Admiral in Indiana, a 1931 Moonlight 18 roadster in No. Cal and then So. Cal and then? Looked at a 1939 Kapitan here in the L.A. area. Assisted in selling back to Germany a 1937 Glasier Super 6 Convertible that was fully restored by a lady in Costa Mesa CA. Also a
mid-thirtys in GA, model not recalled.

Keep on Opeling,
Rick
I'll try to find the pics of the '29 the owner gave to me. Sounds like it is the same one you looked at Rick.

·
792 Posts
Mantaman72 said:
It is in unrestored condition, but generally is ready to run.
So would that mean we will see it at the 2006 picnic???
Actually Rick lifted the tarp one Sunday morning so i could see his roadster....very very cool!

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Mantaman72 said:
Also a mid-thirtys in GA, model not recalled.

Keep on Opeling,
Rick

Rick;
I don't know if this is the same guy, but, quite a few years back, my Dad and I visited a guy in Paulding County, GA who had several acres of Opels, mostly Kadetts. He also had in his possession a 1936 Opel Admiral. It was supposedly the oldest Opel registered in GA. I don't recall the guy's name, but, I do have this and most of his cars on video tape.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
apassens said:
A short while back a war era Admiral from GA was sold on ebay. A car that had been in use until it has been sold there - Very nice. Rick, do you have images to share? I'd love to see the old cars!
Any info on who bought it? Somebody in our group . . . besides Gary?! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Andreas;
That looks like the one the guy in Paulding County had. Oliver and Sharon tried riding through Paulding County, looking for the guy, but, I think the guy died (he was old at the time I video'ed his stuff) and his property may have been sold off to developers and all those Opels got crushed save for the Admiral. Sound possible?
Gene

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
I need to find the pictures and sory of a 30s era 2 door convertible sports coupe that was in CA. I think that is the one Rick refeered too.. I have always wanted to find that car.

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts