Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realised that I am probably not going in the proper order of restoration and have decided to switch to what I think may be the correct order. I probably need to switch from doing the wiring first to doing the paint and body work PRIOR to doing the wiring and interior correct?

What order of restoration have the rest of you gone in?

·
Registered
638 Posts
A rolling restoration usually works best for most people.

Once you strip the car down and can no longer enjoy the car. It takes a lot of motivation to keep going if you are waiting to order parts and stuff when you have the money and when you have the time to work on it.

For those who want a 10 point car, strip the car down to the metal and repaint and re assemble.

I personally like to get everything working and in place before I strip down for paint because I want to make sure it all works like I want it to. I also want a driver not a trailer queen. Just my two cents Ron

·
Opel Key Master
5,525 Posts
I used to tell people the order stuff should go, but it really depends what you want in the end result. If you are wanting to just repaint the car, but leave the mechanicals in, then it doesn't really matter what order you go. But yes, don't put the cart before the horse. If you are doing a total restoration or really nice paint job...don't put your headliner in first. I tend to paint the car, wetsand and polish, then put the mechanicals back in....if you don't, the wetsand residue and buffing compound gets into everything and makes for a real tough job
Keith

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm going through this right now. I removed everything I could and got it sand blasted inside and out. It's now at the body shop to have all the rust areas repaired that the sand blasting exposed. It will then be painted all over and I will start the process of putting it all back together. I plan on doing a total rewire as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No matter what order you use, take plenty and plenty of photos as you're taking it apart. Although things look obvious as you're removing them, you'll be amazed (and thankful) just how often you're likely to reference them weeks/months/years later as you go to reassemble/reinstall parts that you'd think would be a no-brainer to install.

They also have the obvious benefit of reminding you and your friends just how far you've progressed on your project.

·
Opeler
359 Posts
Interesting thread.

If I had to do it again, I would first off, get the car complete, I mean any missing or wrong parts, upgrades such as a 5speed first. That way, you have a complete car. If you look at such programmes as American Hotrod and such others, they all work this way, then when its complete, tear it apart and do the body work, then rolling chassis, then engine/transmission, exhaust etc, then wiring, then interior and finally glass and trim.

I was unfortunate to buy a car in bits, never, repeat, never again. I spend most of my time sourcing bits that I did not even have, and if I had had the car before strip down I would have known the engine was junk and the front end had been smacked, and the front suspension crossmember was bent!...all good now though.

·
Senior Contributor
5,139 Posts
As stated earlier it depends a lot on what you want in the end and the mods you are doing along the way. I made sure that the 5spd change and the 2.2 with the FI fit including the hood latch mod, accelerator mod, etc. etc. before I began any body work at all. Naturally if you are leaving everything stock then these items don't apply and you just have to be sure that you keep everything in labeled bags as you disassemble and as stated, take tons of pictures. I would do all the body work, install the front & rear axles, do the brake line plumbing, do the major wiring, install mechanical peripherals for the windows, headlights & wipers, install the engine and tranny, install the dash and finish the electrical, do the steering column, finish with headliner combined with installing all the exterior glass, then do all the trim and bumpers. I'm sure there are items that have to be combined in order to ensure a good fit as you go, you just have to pay attention to what affects what as you are re-assembling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.