Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I come here to announce the passing of a Great Man that was friends with many here, my Grandfather Ron De Lozier, MSgt. USAF Ret.. He is now in paradise with our Heavenly Family, and though will be missed here, will be loved by those that are close now and forever.

When he came to visit me here in Missouri he made it a point to share his good times with friends at the OpelGt forum and his passion for working on one of the worlds classics.

I envied his mechanical genius and always aimed to learn from his logic and wisdom. I hope my sentiments are shared with those who know this Great Man with all his glory and accomplishments.

Godspeed Grandpa

* I wanted to note I appreciate all those who took the time to know him and share his interests, I thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Ron was a class guy, and we are all very sad that he has left us, long before his time. We met a couple of times at the OMC Picnic in LA, in 2003 and again in 2005, and both Myrna and I really enjoyed the times we spent with Ron. One of my favourite memories will be when a member here, Craig (aka crliwa, who visited with Ron just a week ago) had his GT break down on the show field at the Picnic, and Ron and I got to spend some time together to troubleshoot and try to get his car back running.

Ron was a very nice man, always helpful, and one of the most prolific posters here on OGT.com. He is already missed, although I suspect that he might be sharing some of his knowledge and helpful attitudes about Opels and things that fly at more than the speed of sound with the big guy.

Keep on Opeling Ron.

ps. Ron contributed 6053 posts to this Forum, second over-all as of this writing. He also wrote MANY posts on the old Yahoo! Classic Opels site, not to mention COUNTLESS hours of advice and friendship in person and in the chat room. One of his proudest achievements in Opeldom was the creation of "Willit", a 3.4 V6 swap into his old GT. The saga was captured in the thread by the same name at
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-swap-forum/4281-willit-update.html
which has had 52,508 views to date, and I am sure many more to come.

He also re-created the swap thread in a series of Performance Articles, each dealing with an aspect of the swap. They can be found at:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/performance-articles/8172-3-4-v-6-t-5-engine-tranny-swap-phase-i.html
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/performance-articles/8175-3-4-v-6-t-5-engine-tranny-swap-phase-ii-building-subframes.html
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/performance-articles/8177-3-4-v-6-t-5-engine-tranny-swap-phase-iii.html
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/performance-articles/8184-3-4-v-6-t-5-engine-tranny-swap-phase-iv.html
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/performance-articles/8188-3-4-v-6-t-5-engine-tranny-swap-phase-v.html
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/performance-articles/8322-3-4-v-6-t-5-engine-tranny-swap-phase-vi.html

Please take a moment and read some of Ron's words, as it will certainly help connect you to a pretty darn nice guy.

Attachments

·
342 Posts
I rarely miss a daily visit to the OGT.com forum. Although never having personally met Ron, I (like so many others here) have had opportunity to bring his personality into our homes. As I followed another thread regarding his declining health, I was thankful that he was receiving visitors from the Opel community…”Willit?” was obviously important to him and I’m sure he really appreciated your thoughtfulness. Yet all along, I half hoped/expected to log-in and read (in his own sign-on) that he had rallied and was back for at least a few thousand more posts!

I suspect if Ron were my neighbor, there’d have been more than a couple pots of coffee welcomely killed around whatever project was occupying my garage. He seemed to have some relative and/or applied knowledge on just about everything discussed at this site; and was ever-willing to share. The namba209 presence has been missed since July, but Ron’s contributions remain.

Well done, Ron DeLozier!

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
a class act that we will all miss
Mary and I wish we could have met you
our thoughts are with your family at this time
good bye Ron

·
Opelitis afflicted
530 Posts
Like many here I only knew Ron from his online persona. Like many I will always be grateful for his past, present and future help. To all new on the site, take time to read some of his posts and enjoy what Ron loved to talk about. Both Willit and his contributions are a great legacy to leave that we can all get great enjoyment for years to come.
To his grandson thank you for letting this Opel community know and our thoughts are with you and your family. Take some heart in knowing that he has touched the lives of many around the world. I will miss seeing his cup raised in his Avatar.
So I now raise my cup to you. Ron. :beerchug:

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of Ron's passing. I wish I could have met him. When I first joined this forum I remember his avatar was so unique and all of his posts have always stood out for me because of that and the great advice he had to share. I'm probably not the only one that does this - I form sort of a minds eye visual of people on the forum I've never met based on their posts and I always envisioned Ron as being much younger. He must have been "young at heart".

My sincere condolences,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Those of us who never met Ron , in person, wish very much that we could have. Young at heart, genious in thought, and funny in character. As a member of our armed forces, Ron, we and the whole US salute you. As a member in the Opel Community, you will be sorely missed, as a human being, there was none better.
God Bless ya from the Smith Family and all our condolences to you and your family......

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Although Ive never met him in person, he has helped me more times online than I can count. He was truly a class act, and i will miss him.
Goodbye for now...my friend.

·
Opel Addicts
2,464 Posts
We were very saddened to hear of Ron's passing. Even though he and I (Vickie) never met, we spent many hours in the OpelGT yahoo chat room and then this new chat room becoming online friends. He was always quick with his help to anyone who needed it. He indeed will be missed by us all.

Vickie & Allen

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I'm very saddened to log in today and hear the news that Ron has left us. I've enjoyed his interaction with this forum, and have at least some solice in the fact that his words will be immortalized here for us and future members to read and enjoy. Still it doesn't make it any easier to accept. I know we only met one time but putting a face to the words has always let me identify better with the man. So I feel like I've lost a family member in a way.

Somewhere, he's doing a fly-by at 3100 mph right now:yup:

Take care Ron.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
I met Ron in 2007 while "inSaneDiego". He offered to pick me up at the airport, after which he shuttled me to my hotel. He then picked me up at the convention center one afternoon and we spent the afternoon and evening cruising around in his GT and sitting in his garage BS'ing and visiting his neighbors (some of which were also into cars). We then went out to a nice little mexican place and picked up some take-out and chilled in his house. He was quite a character if you never had the opportunity to meet him. I was immediately comfortable around him and I could tell he was well-liked in the community where he lived.

He took a lot of pride in his car, and in the workmanship it took to build it, so I'm glad he had at least a little time to truly enjoy it. Hearing of his passing makes me want to get my own hobbies completed so that I can enjoy them. I'm taking my son to a local car cruise today, and will be thinking of Ron.

I recently came across the passage below, and thought of Ron. I believe it's originally from Shakespeare's Henry V:

"A good leg will fall; a straight back will stoop; a black beard will turn white; a curled pate will grow bald; a fair face will wither; a full eye will wax hollow: but a good heart is the sun and the moon; or, rather, the sun, and not the moon; for it shines bright and never changes, but keeps his course truly."

Cheers to you Ron. You will be sorely missed.

Todd K.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
I'm not very good in these things, to wright my feelings, in a language I don't use every day, when these things happen, I can't write anything new to all that has been written about Ron.
Not only will Ron be missed by his friends in ths US, but also by his friends in the rest of the world

My sincere condolences go to his family, and I wish them strength to cope with Ron’s premature departure.

Ron, God zij met U,
Ron, God be with you

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
We're such a close group. Ron is exactly the kind of person that has made this forum a welcoming group. Sometimes you never meet a person on this site but you interact with them on almost a daily basis. That's my experience with Ron but we had talked on the forums a number of times. Always impressed by his good wil in the community and the way that he enriched the site and made Opeling accessible to others. His posts are a legacy. He will be missed.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Peace be with you Ron. Thank you for your service to our country and your friendship to us.

Duane

·
Senior Contributor
4,997 Posts
My sincere condolences to Ron's family. I only knew Ron through this site but as other have said it is still like losing a family member. God Speed Ron we'll all meet again.

·
Viking
862 Posts
I`m so sorry to hear about this, and I`m sorry we didn`t get the opportunity to meet last summer when I spent some time in California. I thought I would get the chance to meet you the next time I went over there, but that won`t happen now.
You will be missed, Ron. My condolences goes to you and your family, and God bless you all.
R.I.P Ron.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Ron was a great friend, and a friendly great. He will be missed something fierce.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts