Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I went to my very first cars and coffee today. About 20-30 cars from 9am-12. There was a Maclaren, and old Porsche Carrera, some Teslas, a VW Thing and a Bug, and an old jalopy car, plus modern muscle. It was nice to get out and hang with other cars and owners, instead of just me and my car in the garage. I deleted most of the 40 pics after posting them to Facebook, but here's a few with my car in them.:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Nice way of kicking off retirement!

·
Opeler
1,435 Posts
I went to my very first cars and coffee today. About 20-30 cars from 9am-12. There was a Maclaren, and old Porsche Carrera, some Teslas, a VW Thing and a Bug, and an old jalopy car, plus modern muscle. It was nice to get out and hang with other cars and owners, instead of just me and my car in the garage. I deleted most of the 40 pics after posting them to Facebook, but here's a few with my car in them.:

View attachment 428412 View attachment 428413 View attachment 428414 View attachment 428415 View attachment 428416 View attachment 428417 View attachment 428418
That next-to-last picture of your passenger-side quarter window is interesting. From that angle, the louvered quarter window looks like an open sharks mouth full of teeth!o_O

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yeah, that car has some interesting angles, curves, and aspects to take pics of. The swirl of the reflection of the trees around the side scoop in this pic when I first got the car back from the painters is one of my favorites:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm seriously considering removing the FI and reinstalling the single side draft set up I had before. This car is now so boring to drive. My previous SSD was originally tuned for my original used stock 2.4(the yellow engine), then I had the engine rebuilt to 2.5 with bigger valves and just swapped the set up over and didn't have to change anything about the tuning and both engines ran great and powerfully. This stock 2.4 Motronic set up is slooooooooooow and totally uninspiring. I'm kicking myself right now for selling my RallyBob locked plate dizzy with Pertronix III. If I had that I could remove the FI manifold and unpower the FI and install the dizzy and SSD set up in one weekend and start it up to see if it works better. I wouldn't do this swap until late Fall/Winter, after driving season around here is over.

Anyone have a locked plate dizzy they aren't using?

·
Opeler
1,026 Posts
I'm seriously considering removing the FI and reinstalling the single side draft set up I had before. This car is now so boring to drive. My previous SSD was originally tuned for my original used stock 2.4(the yellow engine), then I had the engine rebuilt to 2.5 with bigger valves and just swapped the set up over and didn't have to change anything about the tuning and both engines ran great and powerfully. This stock 2.4 Motronic set up is slooooooooooow and totally uninspiring. I'm kicking myself right now for selling my RallyBob locked plate dizzy with Pertronix III. If I had that I could remove the FI manifold and unpower the FI and install the dizzy and SSD set up in one weekend and start it up to see if it works better. I wouldn't do this swap until late Fall/Winter, after driving season around here is over.

Anyone have a locked plate dizzy they aren't using?
Well that’s not good to hear. I thought you said that you just wanted reliability and dependability and didn’t care about speed/power anymore....?

Do you now care more about speed/power than you thought you did? Or is this retirement time rearing it’s head?

Would you consider going to another FI option that could give you the reliability/dependability you want with the ability to tune the system to your habits?

No comment...
Not even one little comment?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Maybe you’re finding out that you’re a carb guy? You don’t know until you try.
The FI set up sounds a bit tame for your liking.
What kind of gas mileage do you get? I could put up with a little more of the no frills driving myself if the FI gave me a much better bang for my buck. That’s what it’s supposed to do anyway.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For a guy who says he hates working on engines, Gordon sure seems to like working on his engines.....

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ha! Ha! I just don't like working on the INSIDES of engines. I'll bolt stuff to the outside all day. Carb tuning was always fairly easy to me, I would just fiddle back and forth with the timing and the mix, then test drive for good driving characteristics, and readjust as necessary. All by ear and seat of the pants. Eventually I'd find the sweet spot of reliable starting and good driving characteristics.

The SSD started and ran just as reliably as the FI, just with a heck of a lot less stuff to hook up, but with a heck of a lot more power and FUN. In fact, it even started better. 2 seconds and VROOOOOOM, just reaching in the window and turning the key.

Keep in mind that the only reason I have FI is because it came with the engine deal. This 2.4 engine and FI was purchased to go in the Wagon I bought. I sold the Wagon, I had already paid for the engine, my 2.5 engine needed to come out and get repaired a bit, so I figured why not put the FI 2.4 in? You may also recall that I was having so much trouble getting the FI to run properly that I was about one week away from just putting the SSD on it. But, with the $1000 worth of chroming and special parts buying, I was sort of obligated to carry through until I got it all running properly. In the past month or so I accomplished that.

My engine guy was Charlie. Charlie has been waving the flag for stock FI for years. I now know that Charlie can't tune a carb'd engine worth a dang and that's why he likes FI so much. So, I've given it a try and I now consider the stock FI to be a big step down from my SSD set up. It all works just fine, it's just not a rocketship anymore. I really don't like how it sort of bogs when I'm pulling out of a driveway into traffic. That's dangerous. And there's nothing I can do about it. The Idle/Drive transition is entirely computer controlled. It won't let me spin tires or even come close to doing it. Maybe it would if I had a stick and could rev to 1500 before dropping the clutch, but with the auto I can't do that, I'm stuck in grandpa mode.

We'll see. It's all just talk until I do it. Right now I can't because I need a locked plate dizzy.

Anybody got one?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Everything you just said, just makes me love my Weber 38 DGES even more!!!! Super simple and bullet proof design. Easy turn key enjoyment , with great performance and excellent fuel economy. What else do I need?

·
Registered
743 Posts
There must be something wrong with your Motronic, take the car to a chassis dyno to see what's going on. I had a bone stock Omega A with a C24NE and an AR25 automatic tranny, and it did certainly not bog when accelerating and it felt adequately quick for a +1300kg car.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There must be something wrong with your Motronic, take the car to a chassis dyno to see what's going on. I had a bone stock Omega A with a C24NE and an AR25 automatic tranny, and it did certainly not bog when accelerating and it felt adequately quick for a +1300kg car.
That’s what it sounds like.
The AFR numbers were upside down.

Say you do decide to go back and try out the SSD again.
As far as the dizzy goes, hopefully someone will come up with something, but I wouldn’t hesitate to put one together from a good stock 1.9 one, isn’t that what RallyBob put together for you in the first place?
Just use this easy to follow DIY thread:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yeah, I guess I could make my own, I just don't think I could replicate the teeny tiny set screws that Bob installed to set the advance range.

·
Registered
379 Posts
One of the stops on mine was flimsy bent tab of sheetmetal while the other was thicker and able to be tapped easily. I backed the one up with a jamb nut and red Loctite. Quality Metric tooling is not cheap, even for teeny tiny. I think I still owe Gary some pics. I would encourage anyone attempting this to utilize the Bosch 009 series mechanical advance spring and reluctor arms from the VW.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
On the subject of me not liking the performance of the FI at low speed:

This weekend I drove to Carlisle, about 2.5 hours each way, most of it at 75-85mph on the highway. This was my first driving of the new engine and FI system at highway speeds.

OMG it was so wonderful! Absolutely creamy smooth performance! The BEST Opel GT highway experience I've ever had. The side draft, and even my downdraft set ups, always had little blips or stutters or mysterious noises at various times when cruising steady. The downdraft stutters were seldom, but with the side draft they were frequent. There was nothing wrong with the side draft, it's just that those carbs are so touchy at high rpm that blinking your eyes too hard would make the engine change speed/sound infinitesmally. Hit a tiny bump in the round or wiggle your pinky toe and the engine would ever so slightly change speed. This FI set up doesn't do that. The engine ran just like a modern car: Smooth predictable running with not a single blip of engine speed. When I needed power to pass, it smoothly and politely delivered it. It was actually very fast accelerating at higher speeds, several times I had to emergency pass someone at the last second and I'd complete the maneuver and notice that I was going 100mph! 80 to 100 in 2 seconds, but not a torquey acceleration, a smooth as glass acceleration.

So, now I've decided that I like the oem FI. Yeah, it's boring around town and won't let me hot rod around and spin tires, but on the highway it's super sweet and powerful.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That’s my overall impression of naturally aspirated FI, extremely dependable but can also be boring, almost too prefect. I don’t know why it should be much different on our CIH‘s. I kinda like that boost on the rear end with the imperfect mechanical fuel feed when the pedal goes down with my carb’d 2.0. I don’t like the little surprises that you mentioned, and I get them occasionall, they always out of nowhere and last a fraction of a second and everything returns to running dreamy for the next who knows 1,000 miles or so. I don’t get those on the freeway but sometimes during 2500 rpm cruise.

The Sniper or Megasquirt FI set up looks to be an exception, they could be more fun because you can program the performance yourself, at least we’ve been reading good things about both of those set ups.
I still think you’ll find a way to tune out the kinks on the low end some day on your Motronic, as something still doesn’t sound right. With the FI on the GT you can wave goodbye to all those gas boiling issues 🏜 that’s worth a lot !!!
I’m very glad to hear that you had a lot of fun driving on the freeway, that’s gold news!

41 - 60 of 83 Posts