Opel GT Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I just made and posted 2 new videos on YouTube. The first one is a follow up to the 2 previous videos I had made where I tested the commonly available types of low pressure 3-5 psi fuel pumps for carb'd cars. I ended up deciding that this one was the quietest and best, but I never made the video for it. I just did that today:

Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pump - 38 GPH / 144 LPH (Gasoline/E85)
Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pump

https://youtu.be/2O2utkWrWd0

I also wanted to make a video showing the above fuel pump used in conjunction with the Edlebrock returnless fuel injection pump I'm using. My write up:
In this video I show the Edelbrock Universal EFI Fuel Sump #36032 returnless fuel injection conversion pump installed on my tricked out 1970 Opel GT, that I recently installed 1st generation Opel oem Bosch Motronic FI on. It has the swirl pot/surge tank and a regulator built in. The system utilizes your pre-existing low pressure carburetor fuel pump to do the grunt work of bringing the fuel forward from the tank. It fills a built in reservoir, which acts as your swirl pot/surge tank, which then fills a second reservoir that has the high pressure fuel pump submerged in it. It has the pressure regulator built in. The high pressure fuel pump only has to pressurize the hose to your fuel rail and the rail, in which, you dead end or block off the fuel return exit. You mount it up front somewhere near your engine. It is super quiet and easy to work with and you can do the whole FI fuel pump conversion easily in one afternoon and you don't have to run a fuel return line to the tank and/or modify your car and tank for a return line. You only have to run a vapor return line to your tank's vent lines or a vent port on your tank.

Universal EFI Fuel Sump #36032, 35-90 PSI, 67 GPH/255 LPH
Universal EFI Fuel Sump

https://youtu.be/0lrvRy3hEcc

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Some of you may remember that I was looking into the possibility of putting one of the 2 barrel Holley Sniper FI carbs on my Steinmetz single side draft manifold and installing it all on my new car's 2.4 engine. Theoretically, it should have worked since they aren't real carburetors with a fuel bowl that needs to stay level with the ground and has injectors which should work at any angle. Well, I talked with Holley today about the feasibility and right away the guy said that he didn't think it would work because the injectors in the Snipers are BEFORE the throttle plates and fuel might dribble out during start up and idle. Not so bad at idle, since the suction would suck a lot of it in, but possibly worse when trying to start the engine. At the very least, the starting and idle might be rough due to the injectors squirting fuel at closed throttle plates.

So, it doesn't seem to be a simple, low chance of problems, experiment. I'll just have to use the already tuned and set up for a 2.4 SSD manifold and side draft carb.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Seems like you have to persuade them making a SSD version of the Sniper.
:) One would think there is a huge market for self tuning side draft fuel injection systems out there. I would buy one instantly if the price is right.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts