Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More proof that the GT is designed to win people. There is this security guard that runs the Senior parking lot at my school. Crud job, I know but he does it well. In my conversations with him, I have learned that he is one of the nicest people on earth and the reason that he does such a thankless job is the love of working on cars. Now, he is awesome, and to my delight and surprise, assigned my new opel a spot in his lot. He drives the lot in a golf cart all day, checking on cars and of course, modding them in his head...he has a plan to improve every one I am pretty sure. He does a project car every year during the summer as well. He has always told me the typical "my friend had one" and "so and so used to have three rotting under the porch" stories. However, today on my jaunt to my obsession, he asked the best question in the world.... "How much do those run, for one that I could work on, you know really tear up and restore. I just really need a straight body...It really grows on you....I love it.....I really want to fully restore one in May or so....where can I find one? Can you keep an eye out for me?" The opel has been in the lot for not even two full days yet, and he already wants one. Seriously. I think that America is sensing a new trend. Everyone is driving restored mustangs and A bodies.....I predict that the next trend will be my dear opel gt. After all, they did all have them as kids...:D

·
114 Posts
the smile story of today

here on the continent,we are facing the same problem,
many people want a good solid gt,but they are verry hard to find.
in the past could be looking for a american import,but since they are
getting more popular overthere(in america)it is even getting harder and more expensive for us europeans:mad:

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Hang on guys and gals. I think our day will come soon. Our poor old GT's will only bring 3 or 4K today, but look at what the Harleys did about 15 years ago. In 1979 I gave $4100 for a new Low Rider. I sold it for $10,500 in 1997. As soon as we see one of the movie star's on TV with a Opel watch the what happens to the price of our old GT's

·
82 Posts
I don't want to say never, but it would take a lot to get me to sell mine. I bought it when I was 16. I restored it from a rusted piece of junk using scrap steel air-duct material from the furnace supply place in my small town. I let my sister borrow it, and she promptly sunk it in 6 feet of water in an irrigation ditch with only 30K original miles. I rebuilt the entire thing again, but was forced to sell it when I joined the Air Force in Colorado. Thirteen years later, while living in Dallas, I saw an add for a GT. When I went to check it out, low and behold, it was the same car. The guy who bought it from me towed it to Dallas, parked it in his barn, didn't touch it again, and eventually died. Needless to say, despite thirteen years of neglect and rat infestation, I bought it from his son, and I am in the process for restoring it for the third time. I am not even going to let my wife drive it this time. I want to get it finished by the spring because I don't see it getting much use in the hot Texas summer.

·
Opeler
231 Posts
I didn't say I wanted to sell mine. It is not for sale. I got this car in 1977. But selling a car and getting it back years later is just as good as it gets :D :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow not even the wife? Thats harsh. I dont think would ever sell mine either, Kirk would never let me. However, there are days when I use that to threaten the car:p .Still, my mom was convinced that my gt was hers from highschool too until I explained that they were entirely seperate years, not to mention different colors. However, the car gods are alive and they love me!!! Yesterday I killed my starter solenoid. I was picking up my sister from school despite starter issues I went anyway. Like a moron I shut off my engine to wait for her, and then spent the next two hours trying to crank it. No such luck. My baby gets left in the cold parking lot and I drive my truck to school :( So this afternoon I go to try again after school, and it starts first time. Yes, the car gods are listening and they love me!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and if you are worried about the states getting all of the good gt's, well a quality gt is pretty much gold here too, at least if you want one cheap. Most of the ones I found origionally had quite a bit of damage and rust. Usually they are coming from a different state either way. Face it, they just arent easy to get in good shape because they are mostly rotting under porches, undiscovered by those who would care for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts