Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a car show the other weekend and captured this photo of a Vet with the truth!

http://opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7048/cat/500/ppuser/16274

I had the following on my car:D

Which came first,
The Corvette Stingray or the Opel GT?

At the 1965 Frankfurt Auto Show, the Adam Opel Company showed a new sports car named the Opel GT. After the GT prototype was unveiled. General Motors’ executives were impressed with the looks of the car so they asked the main designer, C.M. MacKichan, to come to America and work on the design change slated for the 1968 Corvette. He agreed.

Due to production issues in Europe and pressure from GM (the majority owner of the Adam Opel Company), the Corvette Stingray was released before the Opel GT. MacKichan, who served a stint as chief Chevrolet stylist, stated in his memoirs that the design was influenced heavily by the Corvair Monza Experimental of 1962, that the Opel GT came first and is regarded as his “Favorite”.

As a side note, in 1952 when Harly Earl, the father of the Corvette, sought support for a low-volume production, two seat sports car, it was named "Project Opel",

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Truth reveiled?

Wolf Spyder said:
I was at a car show the other weekend and captured this photo of a Vette with the truth!

http://opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7048/cat/500/ppuser/16274

I had the following on my car:

Which came first,
The Corvette Stingray or the Opel GT?

At the 1965 Frankfurt Auto Show, the Adam Opel Company showed a new sports car named the Opel GT. After the GT prototype was unveiled. General Motors’ executives were impressed with the looks of the car so they asked the main designer, C.M. MacKichan, to come to America and work on the design change slated for the 1968 Corvette. He agreed.

Due to production issues in Europe and pressure from GM (the majority owner of the Adam Opel Company), the Corvette Stingray was released before the Opel GT. MacKichan, who served a stint as chief Chevrolet stylist, stated in his memoirs that the design was influenced heavily by the Corvair Monza Experimental of 1962, that the Opel GT came first and is regarded as his “Favorite”.

As a side note, in 1952 when Harly Earl, the father of the Corvette, sought support for a low-volume production, two seat sports car, it was named "Project Opel",
I found your title especially interesting on the perennial question of "Which came first?" . . .

Truth reveiled? . . . truth hidden again! :eek:
Truth revealed? . . . truth uncovered! :p

Aren't the nuances of the English language wonderful! :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.