Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night 9/27/19 I put my car in The Villages Classic Automobile Club show at Lake Sumter Landing in The Villages, FL. I did not win a trophy and unfortunately was not near my car when the judges looked at it so that I wasn't there to tell them about the car and all of its modifications. After the awards were presented and I was back at my cars location the judges came over to me and told me that I was runner up for best of show. I really did not expect to win anything due to all of the nice hardware that was present and also that many of the cars were American muscle cars and they seem to walk away with awards before any little German car would. The best of show went to a '57 Chevy. My car was featured in the Wheels section of the newspaper here a few months back. I was at dinner with friends when the judges showed up and apparently there was also a guy from The Villages Magazine who left a card on my front seat with a note on the back that said he wants to do a piece on my car.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,124 Posts
Aaaarrgghh!

They added injury to insult! It was bad enough to go home with no trophy, yet the 3rd place Mustang did, then they tell you that your car was the 2nd best of the whole dang show and you get nothing again. A '57 Chevy, really? They're a dime a dozen. Every car show has one.......or a dozen. All perfect with $100K spent on them. The owners didn't do any of the work. You worked your azz off on your car.

Did you smugly take a few turns at high speed on the way home, knowing that the Chevy would have flipped over?

:veryhappy

·
Vendor
2,515 Posts
Looks like fun, Jeff.
Is the show only for the "villagers"? We are around 45 min. from you guys down 441.
Perhaps I can bring the Corvair to the next one.
Cheers,
Ron (no longer) in Indy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congratulations on the runner up Best of show! Too bad you weren’t able to give them the back story on your car, it might have made a difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Having entered over 12 car shows this season, I have a better understanding as to why as well as what I'd do if I'd been in charge.
Firstly, there should be a class of absolutely stock. This would be cars in progress and daily drivers with rust here and there. The patina would be the badge of honour.
Secondly would be those brought back to stock by the owner. None of this giving a blank cheques to a resto company each month to have them do the work. The owner would have to have done the majority of the work. More points if the owner painted or did body work on the car.
Thirdly, the resto company's entries. These are the $100K+ club. Nice eye candy.

One of the shows I was at , the best in show owner confessed to spending over $300K USD on the resto. Meanwhile there were many owner resto which looked really smart.

Thanks for allowing me to vent, I feel better.

Cheers

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
I agree a 57 Chev really :no: At least you were there representing the Opel's and second place isn't to shabby. You know you are number one in our eyes. Congratulations.
Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congratulations!

Thanks for carrying the Opel GT banner.

Hope we can meet up in January for the Mecum Auction.

Bill Bertram

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When my GT was in the Lake Sumter car show it caught the eye of a Villages Magazine article writer. He left a card on the front seat of my car with a note to call. Today they took pictures to go along with an interview that I did last week. I believe my GT will be featured in the January issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
When my GT was in the Lake Sumter car show it caught the eye of a Villages Magazine article writer. He left a card on the front seat of my car with a note to call. Today they took pictures to go along with an interview that I did last week. I believe my GT will be featured in the January issue.
Man. that GOLD car in the driveway makes it look like you CAN afford that house! Wow!

:lmao: .... Doug

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Friday night 9/27/19 I put my car in The Villages Classic Automobile Club show at Lake Sumter Landing in The Villages, FL. I did not win a trophy and unfortunately was not near my car when the judges looked at it so that I wasn't there to tell them about the car and all of its modifications. After the awards were presented and I was back at my cars location the judges came over to me and told me that I was runner up for best of show. I really did not expect to win anything due to all of the nice hardware that was present and also that many of the cars were American muscle cars and they seem to walk away with awards before any little German car would. The best of show went to a '57 Chevy. My car was featured in the Wheels section of the newspaper here a few months back. I was at dinner with friends when the judges showed up and apparently there was also a guy from The Villages Magazine who left a card on my front seat with a note on the back that said he wants to do a piece on my car.
Perfect shot no one looking at anything but the Gt:yup::haha:

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations on getting in the paper. Now when you go to the next Villages show you should get some recognition for all the work you did on the GT.
Thanks again for working on my brothers cars last week.
You are welcome, I am glad that we got them all started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts