Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a very weird installation for a friend today.
Although its unortodox to the 10th power, its quite an interesting thing to have in a car.

A guy phoned me today and asked me to install a ''cellbox'' or a ''caller module''.

Normlly, its used in access automation, where one can dial a number from your phone, that opens a gate at a complex etc.

At first, i wasnt sure it will work in a car, although its also 12volt.
The idea was to replace the central locking receiver, with the cellbox.

The guy loses his transmitter often. Its aftermarket alarm and central locking on a pimped ascona.

I was surprised at how well it works.
I programmed 2 numbers on the box, for him and his wife
Set the receiver range to max of 5 meters and voila.

Now he walks up to his car, dials a number and car unlocks.

Also made my mind travel further though.
bluetooth central locking and ignition.
Operate the whole car with bluetooth. Encription of the IP adress to limit roaming BT scans.

Only the owner/driver can access the car.
Only one BT signal to control alarm, locking system, ignition and radio. No more key cloning.

What do you think?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,365 Posts
That has somewhat been done before. Ford has an app that gives you some basic controls over the car, such as locks and remote start.

Ford Custom Accessories | Remote Access

So, you're not crazy. There is some automation hardware and software out there that you can install in your house, your smartphone can control locks, blinds, heating & A/C, lights, garage door, etc with it. Can even be linked to cameras so you can see your house. I once talked to a guy who did this to his house, he'd leave a message for delivery guys to call him. He'd then unlock the door, the person would drop off the package and then he'd lock the door again. He saw everything, so he wasn't worried. I want to say the system was called Control4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i know of it, but ive only done cellbox in residential applications and you could be any distance from it

The car was a first. Programming a set distance limit; but its pretty cool though

But seriously, im already looking into the bluetooth system. Maybe test it in my car.
All i need is a bluetooth module arduino circuit, programmed to an app ive already found online, which programs the arduino.

Been used in RC cars already, but with some mods to my ignition system and a few settings on the arduino circuit that reacts to the app commands, ill have my own BT controlled electrical system.

That way, i can cut out the auxlairy input connections in the dash and only do BT

my custom dash allready has no radio. Just amplifier circuits built into it, that powers the speakers. Only thing you see on dash is usb charging ports.

cheap and no one will be tempted to break in and steal any radio.

·
Über Genius
9,302 Posts
yes i know of it, but ive only done cellbox in residential applications and you could be any distance from it

The car was a first. Programming a set distance limit; but its pretty cool though

But seriously, im already looking into the bluetooth system. Maybe test it in my car.
All i need is a bluetooth module arduino circuit, programmed to an app ive already found online, which programs the arduino.

Been used in RC cars already, but with some mods to my ignition system and a few settings on the arduino circuit that reacts to the app commands, ill have my own BT controlled electrical system.

That way, i can cut out the auxlairy input connections in the dash and only do BT

my custom dash allready has no radio. Just amplifier circuits built into it, that powers the speakers. Only thing you see on dash is usb charging ports.

cheap and no one will be tempted to break in and steal any radio.
Easy enough to add a pi to the mix so you aren't running bluetooth all the time from your phone.

Agreed, though, that traditional car stereo's are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PI is conveinient yes, but found it cost more than arduino BT.

using your phone's BT is not all bad. Its handsfree when getting calls, your playlist is on your phone and only time you have to focus on your phone, is when youre not driving, to operate the app that controls everything. Any other time, the phone is on a dash mount and its a quick touch on the screen to toggle songs, calls etc

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,956 Posts
The previous owner of my car had made the install of a central locking and controlling gizmo. It was 25 years ago, so it was pretty old school. The car was a stripped tin can when I got it...........with a central control contraption wired in all over the place.

In the trash it went.

I agree that the traditional old radios are obsolete, but the new, larger, double din sized radio with touch video screens are great for viewing all the various info things, like GPS, back up cameras, weather and temps, playing movies, web surfing, etc. You say you don't have anything like that in your custom dash, so do you drive around looking at your cell phone for all that stuff?

What if that couple loses their cell phone? How do they get into and operate the car? What if the battery goes dead and there's nothing to power the central control gizmo, is everything non-functional?

:thinking:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in my dash, im not installing stuff like that. If i need to find a place, i take a look on my phone gps where it iis and the general direction i need to travel. Ive familliarised myself with the city, suburb and province i live in, so , its not rocket science to search adress, get general direction, memorise landmarks and drive off. When you reach the area you need to get to, stop, stretch legs, get adress again, navigate option on phone and BT loudspeaker, linked with car sound and bob is your uncle

Regarding the couple losing their phones, they both and me have the overide dialing code to access it.

Upon an installation, i place a decal with my name and number on the back window, so they can call me from any phone to overide the system.

And if you are worried about me stealing coz i can overide it, they have all my personal details. Besides, crime does not feed a family.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,365 Posts
What do you do if the car's battery dies? You can't get in to open the hood. Might want to make sure there are remote charging terminals that can be easily reached.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you do if the car's battery dies? You can't get in to open the hood. Might want to make sure there are remote charging terminals that can be easily reached.
Good point and i did think of that.
I would never attempt any mod in my car without research. Just a question though. You have a factory stock central locking system and the remote batteries or car battery dies. You may be able to use the key to open the door, but what of the alarm/immobiliser? Same dillema right.

I will still have key to unlock the door, but i am busy looking at diferent options to overide the alarm. Also adding the system's own battery in the circuit that gets constant charge when engine runs and does not draw power from main battery when car is locked. Think of your gate motor or alarm system. Constant current from mains and when the power is out, the battery, fully charged, takes over.

besides, the amount of mAh of current it consumes, is hardly worth worrying about. Its pretty much the same amount as your phone charger would use.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,956 Posts
The PO modded Ferrari Dino-style air scoops into the side of my car and they caused the deletion of the door handles. I have door poppers on my car to open the doors with a remote. There's a hidden emergency push button if the remote is lost and a hidden emergency pull cord if the remote's battery or the car's battery goes dead. If I also wanted to disable the car's starting capability I could install a mechanical switch or use a remote to actuate a switch to restore car power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts