Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thermostat at opel university

on sunny ,cold days..Celeste is going out. my heater barely works...I am hoping it's the theromostat.as I have flushed my heater lines.

look how bad my old thermostat looked..I got a new one from ogts..plus a gasket...

I will share tonights mistake with you..

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Correct. The thermostat sits down in the recess in the housing. Its top is then flush with the housing surface so the gasket will seal it. So make sure any crud is removed from the recess and old gasket material is removed from both surfaces.

Next question class..... What side is up? (toward the radiator)

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clarify your your question

Gary what side of "what " is up? How can the radiator be "up"?
Radiator would be front to me.Are you talking about which way the gasket faces?

PS:Oh by the way...I am still looking for the "left handed hammer"
you sent me for...I have looked all over town and the net, and I still can't find it.: :confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
He means "which side of the thermostat is up." The thermostat side with the bi-metal conductor goes toward the block (faces down). The water temperature on the block side controls the thermostat. Installing it upsidedown usually causes overheating.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Re: clarify your your question

bucky said:
....PS:Oh by the way...I am still looking for the "left handed hammer" you sent me for...I have looked all over town and the net, and I still can't find it.: :confused:
Yer just not looking in the right place. It's right next to the wire stretcher.

(Hint: It is not on any of the adult sites, so don't go looking there!) :eek:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bucky, just a quick and dirty hint. Get a cooking thermometer that goes to 250 + degrees at the local market. Put the new thermostat in a pan of water, heat it up on the stove with the thermometer in the water and see what temp the thermostat opens at. I've got new thermostats that did not work. It's no fun to have to replace a new one after the anti-freeze is already in the radiator and you have to replace that too.

BTW, while you're looking for the left hand hammer, would you be so kind as to get some "Flight Line' and "Prop Wash":D

Ron

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
has anyone seen my wiremesh oil can and long stand while your out there
and what happend to my group buy on tartan paint?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts