Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to find a new set of 4 wheels for my 1971 GT, you know the one that lost it's left rear wheel....I found this site.

ESM Wheels - Redefining Old Skool German Alloys

I saw a familiar setup in the 4X100 bolt pattern. To be honest I am kind of excited and I would like like to ask a question.

My current wheels are the Ronals...17" with 7.5J width the 4X100 bolt pattern and it has a 35mm offset and I have a 1/2 spacer on them.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT QUESTION....Correct me if I am wrong but if I get a wheel from the above site that only has a 20mm offset, I can get rid of those spacers right?

At any rate I did a search here on ESM and nothing came up so I figgered I better let my Opel pals in on the possibilty of wheels that fit and don't need spacers and look awfully cool.

BTW, I am all but sold on these in silver...from looking at other pics they would likely look fabulous on my GT.

ESM - 012 Silver Finish

·
Super Moderator
9,741 Posts
In my quest to find a new set of 4 wheels for my 1971 GT, you know the one that lost it's left rear wheel....I found this site.

ESM Wheels - Redefining Old Skool German Alloys

I saw a familiar setup in the 4X100 bolt pattern. To be honest I am kind of excited and I would like like to ask a question.

My current wheels are the Ronals...17" with 7.5J width the 4X100 bolt pattern and it has a 35mm offset and I have a 1/2 spacer on them.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT QUESTION....Correct me if I am wrong but if I get a wheel from the above site that only has a 20mm offset, I can get rid of those spacers right?

At any rate I did a search here on ESM and nothing came up so I figgered I better let my Opel pals in on the possibilty of wheels that fit and don't need spacers and look awfully cool.

BTW, I am all but sold on these in silver...from looking at other pics they would likely look fabulous on my GT.

ESM - 012 Silver Finish
Paulie;
If the offset is a negative 20, then you might, but, looking at the site, they're showing positive 20 offset.

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but currently the Ronals that I have are a positive 35mm offset. Getting a wheel with a 20mm offset and getting rid of the 1/2 inch (12.7mm) spacer moves the wheel in. That means that I should be able to rid myself of the spacer, eat the 2.3mm and have the wheel/tire in the same place on the car right?

Please make sure I am right by going here... http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp

Then you put in the specs for my current wheel which is 17 X 7.5 with 35 mm offset. You would have to imagine the spacer in there that makes the mounting position more towards the car. Then if you change the offset to 20mm and get rid of the imaginary spacer...same place right?

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
The ESM-012 look very similar to the BBS /BMW 325i wheels I have on the Manta. Nice! Actually, mine are closer to the -002.... oh well both look great!

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
I think the +20 might work, and will give you a deeper looking wheel. Give them a call and tell them your fitment is the same as a 77-83 BMW320i. They will likely have a wheel with the right offset that lets you get rid of the spacers.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,347 Posts

Paulie,

yes, you are absolutely correct. Having a smaller offset ("ET") brings the wheel further out, so no need for the spacers anymore.

Dieter

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yeah but currently the Ronals that I have are a positive 35mm offset. Getting a wheel with a 20mm offset and getting rid of the 1/2 inch (12.7mm) spacer moves the wheel in. That means that I should be able to rid myself of the spacer, eat the 2.3mm and have the wheel/tire in the same place on the car right?

Please make sure I am right by going here... http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp

Then you put in the specs for my current wheel which is 17 X 7.5 with 35 mm offset. You would have to imagine the spacer in there that makes the mounting position more towards the car. Then if you change the offset to 20mm and get rid of the imaginary spacer...same place right?
The spacer moves the wheel out therefore reducing the ET figure. A 35mm ET + a 15mm spacer yields a 20mm ET. If you get a wheel with a 20mm ET then the wheel will be in the same place as with the other combination.

Remember a +35mm ET will move the wheel in 35mm from the center line. This is very common with FWD wheels whereas RWD wheels are in the +10mm ET area. If you are using a possitive lock style spacer then it is a safe option to have. If you are using a spacer with longer wheel studs then by all means get rid of it.

·
Driver
987 Posts
They are selling several nice sets available on Ebay. Any that say for "E21" is the 77-83 BMW 320i, so they work.
I have the opportunity to "try on" a set that are 7.5" in the front and 9" in the rear. They are 16" with the et of 20mm.
Here is the ebay store: <eBay Store - EuroSTtopUSA: WHEELS, RIMS TIRES, BODY KITS>
BTW, even though they say "Germany" on the side and say "old skool Germany style", they are not. But for that price, I didn't expect them to be.

·
Driver
987 Posts
OK, I tried them on and i liked them, so I bought them. I got them used from a guy who had them on an E30 BMW. The look great! I love them. The 7.5 with 215/40/60 fit fine on all four corners. The diameter was very close to my 205/60/13's. I don't remember what the difference was but it was just a fraction of an inch. the 9 inch wide in the back currently have the same tires as the front. I don't agree with this as the wheels are wider than the tires. It'll work for now but I plan on going a bit wider in the back to match the wheels. The back caused a couple problems. I had to get longer wheel studs, for the back only. I ended or using Dorman 610-427. Cross referenced to an 01 Ford/Lincoln. I had to grind about 1.5mm off the end to get the wheel cap on. Also, the shoulder came out past the brake drum and the wheel hit it before it flushed with the drum. The seller gave me a set of 3mm spacers that I used to fix that. I kind of needed them anyway as the inside of the wheel made contact with the seam on the inner fender once. I used a hammer and flattened the seam out some and resprayed it with paint and put the spacer in and no more contact. The 7.5" in the back would not have had this problem, but would still have the problem with the stud length.
Over the next week I will drive it on my favorite twisty road and check it out better.

Attachments

Reactions: Gabe G and Phoenix

·
Driver
987 Posts
George, those look trick! Now, save your duckies for more power.

Wes
Thanks Wes, Yes, I have to admit, that came out my "duckies" that I am saving for more power. Not that I was in the market for new rims but the ability to try them on and say no thank you really sweetened the deal. Now I have to build up the Opel fund a bit again.

·
Super Moderator
13,792 Posts
That middle pic is HOTTTTT. That's how all GT's should look. Nice rake, nice ride height, wheelwells filled out.:biggthump

·
Super Moderator
9,741 Posts
Now, what do you intend to do with the old rims?:D

·
Driver
987 Posts
Thanks Bob.
Gene. I imagine that I will be selling my old rims/center caps/tires/lug nuts to help pay for these. I do want to drive these some and make sure they work out before I DO sell them. So far I only had enough time for a short drive.

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Chrome rear trim

George, those rims and tires look great! Did your GT come with that chrome rear trim or did you buy it some where? Does any one know if they are available any where?
thanks Pat

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,406 Posts

·
Driver
987 Posts
It is a factory tail strip that has been chrome plated. It was purchased back in the early 80's from the dealership and then chromed. Sat in a shop until a couple years ago when I came a cross it in a parts stash.

George, those rims and tires look great! Did your GT come with that chrome rear trim or did you buy it some where? Does any one know if they are available any where?
thanks Pat

·
Driver
987 Posts
9" wheels on the front fit!

I was replacing the brake hoses on my car and had all the wheels off and cleaned them up. I've always wondered how the 9" ones would fit on the front.
I swapped them around, 16x9 with 245-35/16 on the front and they fit great! Not even really close anywhere. Obviously I had to put the 16x7.5" with 215/40/16 in the back and, as expected they work great back there.
I was surprised that the front had no problems though. Still inside the fenders too.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been searching for some wheels with deep dishes... Those fat 5 spokes look great. I'll have to consider them in 15x8 along with other wheels (which may be lighter).

Thanks for bumping this thread, seriously =]

Edit: Just notice you said yours were 16x7.5 and 16x9? I think those are actual Borbet Type A sizes as opposed to the 15x8 offered by ESM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts