Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a tech tip for everyone.. really inexpensive, clean looking, and most of all oil and vacuum tight solution for the GT valve cover.

Parts used:

Large Hose

Dorman (HELP!) # 40258 - Toyota PCV Grommet ($2)
Dorman (HELP!) # 47081 - 1/2" x 5/8" Heater Hose connector ($2)
5/8" Pre-molded Heater Hose (molded hose w/ 90 bend) ($9)

Little Hose

1 - Dorman (Vacu-tite) #47418 - Roll 5/32" Hard Tubing ($6)
1 - Dorman (Vacu-tite) #47402 - 1/8" x 5/32" Soft Connector ($2)
1 - Dorman (Vacu-tite) #47405 - 5/32" x 1/8" Soft Connector ($2)

Total Cost : About $25

Install Time : 15-30 minutes

Attachments

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Little Hose

Take #47405 and firmly seat the fat end of the fitting ALL the way into the small opening of valve cover, until you get to the ridge.. (See photo) its a tight fit and may take some twisting motion to get it to go all the way in, but it will go in.

Cut about 6" (Cut longer if you need to get to the vacuum fitting below the carb and dont have the 90 degree elbow beside the valve cover) of tubing off roll and heat with lighter to soften and mold

Insert tubing into the small end of #47402

Seat #47402 onto vacuum nipple

Insert other end of 5/32" tubing into backside of #47405

Attachments

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Large hose

Insert #42508 (Toyota grommet) into large opening in cover

Lube with a little oil the inside of grommet

Take #47081 and firmly push the 1/2" side of the connector it into the grommet.. it will need a little effort as it is a tight fit.

Trim heater hose as required for the type of Air Cleaner you have

Insert heater hose onto the 5/8" side of connector (also a tight fit)

Then install the other end of heater hose into your vavle cover fitting.

Attachments

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just hate oil all over my engine and hate cutting up and force fitting hoses into the cover.. never looks good and while it may not leak for a while.. it will leak sooner than later. So I had to come up with a better solution. I love the "HELP!" section ..

I have installed this on about 6 Opels to date.. and none leak a drop of oil around the two valve cover openings..

But as they say "your results may vary.."

Reactions: The Cub and joeopel

·
Driver
987 Posts
Great "How To" Charles.:yup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
looks great! i had to discard those two hoses because they were in pretty bad shape, so this tech tip will come in handy.

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
Great Ideas

Both solutions are very professional. :cool: I only found vacuum, hard lines at Pep Boys in Calif. Might have to ask at AutoZone store, if they sell the vacuum, hard lines.

·
Registered
534 Posts
:biggthump

Very good modification! And it has the professional look!

·
583 Posts
Premolded heater hose P/N.

Charles,

Who is the manufacturer and what is the P/N of that heater hose? Is it a Help! part or Gates hoses? The rest of the install looks pretty clean. Got to give you credit on that.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Charles did this to my Spyder while in Springfield, IL... right after putting a little rubber down on Route 66 in my car. It took about 10 minutes even working in a parking lot with a dull knife and an audience. Thanks again Charles.:veryhappy

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Charles,

Who is the manufacturer and what is the P/N of that heater hose? Is it a Help! part or Gates hoses? The rest of the install looks pretty clean. Got to give you credit on that.
Any autoparts store will have it.. Just ask for a molded 5/8" hose with a single 90 degree bend. Its close to an universal part, It fits a LOT of cars, and is made long to be trimmed to whatever applicaton it is going to be fit on. The part number on the one I got was an Advanced Auto Part and was damaged and unreadable. I will go back and see if I can get the part number for you all.

BTW Dallas I found a old nipple from an older weber air cleaner I have here if you still need it. Just send me the address.

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gary could you make this a sticky, so its easier to find?

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
90 degree heater hose

Any autoparts store will have it.. Just ask for a molded 5/8" hose with a single 90 degree bend. Its close to an universal part, It fits a LOT of cars, and is made long to be trimmed to whatever applicaton it is going to be fit on. The part number on the one I got was an Advanced Auto Part and was damaged and unreadable. I will go back and see if I can get the part number for you all.
Asked for the molded 90 degree, 5/8" heater hose from AutoZone.
Located hose without any problems. There are several lengths of hose.
Usually, store will let customer go behind counter to look at stock.

·
Can Opeler
3,486 Posts
I wanted to give a bump to this thread. This is an extremely useful upgrade. One small correction though "Dorman (HELP!) # 40258 - Toyota PCV Grommet ($2)" is actually #42058. I also couldn't find these two parts in stock:
"1 - Dorman (Vacu-tite) #47402 - 1/8" x 5/32" Soft Connector ($2)
1 - Dorman (Vacu-tite) #47405 - 5/32" x 1/8" Soft Connector ($2)"
But #47432 is an assortment that has the same connectors.

Reactions: Lindsay and oliper

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
I did my valve cover hoses a little different. Old school
""If I Had found this thread years ago""
I probably would of done it different Good Job Charles

Attachments

Reactions: Knorm65
1 - 20 of 20 Posts