Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. tony p felt my peddle a couple weeks ago and said it could be because of that. i guess im gonna go buy some grommets from ogts. because its frusterating drive with a slopping peddle. and its a 10 dollar fix so why not fix it :p

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
The polyurethane grommets will mostly bring back the pedal throw so you will have it at WOT when the pedal is at the floor. When the original rubber grommets disintegrated you lost linkage motion that would cause it to stop prior to WOT. It may also tighten up the system so it feels more precise.

135 Posts
I replaced the RHS and LHS throttle grommets in 2006 with OGTS parts. One is red the other is black. Best to take the brackets off and use a vise to install the new ones. I used a block of wood with a 1 inch diameter hole drilled through it that I placed just behind the bracket and then pressed the new grommet in from the other side using the vise. Otherwise it is very difficult to install just using hand pressure. The throttle response is tight, smooth and low effort with the new grommets. Well worth the time to do.

· Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is the spring called that goes to the linkage because i have a rigged one and would like to replace it with stock.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
GT accelerator linkage . . .

Here's everything and how it goes together . . .

. . . and a photo of the actual parts . . .

· Opelnut
969 Posts
bearing for throttle gromets

If replacing the gromets is a good fix has anyone ever replaced these with a bearing? an would it be any better or is a little drag a good thing in the bushings..

just thinkin out loud

:cool:

I just replaced those grommets / bushings on the linkage and it made a huge difference. The secondary would open very little before the replacement. Now it opens fully.

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts
I can't see how that would be bad. It would remove most if not all play in the throttle linkage. Using the poly should be fine for most of us, but if you push the throttle excessively like some of us, it sounds like a good idea. Just have to find a bearing with a small enough ID to press on and an OD that is close and just bore it to press fit.

2,054 Posts
West Coast GT: SECONDARY!? I thought you didnt believe in using the secondary?? LOL!
It's not so much that I didn't believe in a secondary, it's just that there were so many reasons not to use one:

1. The zip-tie (emergency repair when the ball-nut went missing out near the salt flats).

2. Missing bushings long gone years ago.

3. Lost that little connector rod between the primary and secondary throttle plates.

4. Wasn't sure the old engine could handle a strong supply of fuel.

Coming east up that grade on Highway 80 out of Salt Lake City pretty much convinced me I needed, and wanted, a secondary. Getting passed by a U-Haul van towing a car damn near brought tears to my eyes.

But on the plus side; I achieved 37 miles per gallon San Francisco to Chicago.

a. Didn't think of it before, but perhaps lubricating the bushing on the passenger side (the tight one) would help lighten the throttle.

b. I found that adding the Weber closed the distance between the bracket (that the red bushing mounts into) and the ball-nut (yes, I got a new one!) on the carb. This creates some binding which will ultimately shorten the bushing's life.

· Registered
278 Posts
New throttle grommet

I just replaced the throttle grommet, and now the when I start the car the thing immediately revs up to about 3000 rpm. If I go out and mess around with the linkage it drops down to regular idle speed, but when I stop it and start it again, same thing. Must be something sticking, but I cant figure it out. Any thoughts?

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Hi everyone !

if i am correct on the linkage, the piece that runs behind the engine is backwards in this picture. Correct?

or the hex nut is on the wrong side?

Novice Mike
It appears correct to me.

The linkage has to sit over the top of the bell housing. I added an arrow to show the direction the accelerator linkage moves to open the carb.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.