Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Ok,
I replaced both grommets on the passenger and driverside firewall, so the throttle linkage is in good shape. When I go to install the Weber 32/36 the throttle linkage rod is jammed against the passenger side grommet. Its so tight the linkage is frozen. :sigh: The old solex had lots of play in the linkage rod, you have to pull the rod forward to mount it on the ball nut. Not so with the weber, the throttle shaft that holds the ball nut on the weber looks to extend about a 1/2 inch further out then the Weber. The only way to install linkage rod is with the weber off the intake.

I ordered all parts from Opel GT source so the linkage bracket and ball nut are correct. If I shorten the throttle linkage rod by about 1/2 inch it would work; but I should not have to do this. Something is screwed up. Is it something with the motor mounts or transmission mount?

Thanks for all help

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Gary,
that would do the job where did you get the shortened ball nut.
Ebay has a lot of options for ball nuts. All you would need to do is find an appropriate spacer. Or, just go to the nearest auto parts store.

· Registered
2,833 Posts
Ebay has a lot of options for ball nuts. All you would need to do is find an appropriate spacer. Or, just go to the nearest auto parts store.
For stuff like this I like to go to the nearest Ace Hardware store. The one here has lots of this type of hardware available for browsing. Some may be more limited in their supply but I am continually amazed that they usually have something that can be made to work.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback. Did anyone else have this problem when they converted to the weber? :confused:

The literature from OpelGTsource implies this is all you need to do the conversion.
I do recall having a problem putting a weber onto my third (I think) GT. I ran into the same problem but luckily I had a few other carbs in the garage and just shortened the ball stud with one from another carb.

I forgot about ACE hardware. I am also amazed at their selection of hardware. I have bought a few items from there, over the years, for Opel projects.
As long as we are on the subject of throttle linkage, there are brass bushings there that you can use to space between the throttle shafts and the body components. Nothing sucks as bad as the traditional sloppy throttle linkage.

· Senior Contributor
1,573 Posts
Weber 38/38

I do recall when I installed the 38/38 Weber on my GT. I purchased a new ball nut and linkage from Opel GT Source and had to shorten the linkage rod to Carb. (Cutting the rod to shorten and welded back together) for my Installation, it was too long to get onto the ballnut without bending the linkage rod and bracket. I don't know about the other Weber carb.'s like the 32/36. Should be the same.

· No....its not a Buick....
1,553 Posts
If I remember correctly.... I just took a hacksaw or a dremel to it and cut it a bit shorter....
I know that I didnt have to run around looking for another one.
HTH
Joe

· Senior Contributor
1,573 Posts
Bent Linkage Rods

Here is my set up, As you can see in the pictures that every carb. linkage rod from all my parts cars were bent to shorten them. Except the first one as you can see it's still straight. Just cut to shorten and reweld simple
My yellow GT has been like this over 16 years and it never came off.
It nice when you don't have to bend things to fit.

Attachments

· Opeler
3,330 Posts
I know this doesn't help, but I've never had any trouble with throttle linkage connections when converting to a Weber and I've converted 1 or 2. :rolleyes: How about a picture of your setup?

Harold
Installed two of my 32/ 36 Weber's on a 1972, 1973, and 1971 GT, and I never had a major issue with throttle linkage connections. Removed ball stud from existing Solex and attached it to the Weber. Left the existing linkage in each GT. Can't remember if I tweaked the linkage adjustment thread length.

I did intall shorter carburetor studs on the intake manifolds.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I finally got around to resolving this. I call the guys at opelgtsource and they suggested my transmission mount may have collapsed. They recommended either replacing it or shimming it to lift the engine upward in the back. I went ahead and replaced it and that took care of the problem. Yea, :)otherwise I was ready to shorten the linkage rod.

Appreciate all the help
Jim

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
D'oh!

Yes, I do remember this situation. It did, in fact, happen to me once.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Has anyone else run into this problem?

What did you do about it?

There's a screw that's interfering with the Opel carb linkage adapter.

Any ideas? Do I need a different component? Do I need to modify this one?

Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: opellane

· Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes, I re-slotted the L bracket to miss the bolt, then had to flip the throttle linkage. The push bar ( rotating bar) will push out of it's holder & fit back in on the other side, more or less it changes the rotation by 180*, I will try to get pic. later for ya if needed..

· Registered
72 Posts
I had this same problem last summer putting a Weber on. I'm waiting on a 5 speed from Gil. I am rebuilding the original engine and figured I'd replace all the mounts. Thanks for posting this as I now know I'm not the only one with this problem.

· Senior Contributor
1,573 Posts

Thanks

Thanks

First of all....what a great choice for a Weber carb. 38/38 way to go.
I find that having two of the same barrel 38/38 is much easy to jet and tune. I have been using these bigger Webers on everything I own for years. Just like having a true two barrel carb

NOW about that bracket......poor gt is right......you have to customize it...

I just notched the bracket to clear the screw...I have two GT'S with the same set up
Once you do that...then I shorten the linkage rod about half inch...this just makes it easier to get the coupler on the ball....others state it could be worn out motor or trans mounts...but mine are all brand new.
See the photo attach from my two GT'S with Weber 38/38
And I hope that will help you out some
Good Luck

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.