Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys how you all doing, well I hope? I just got a Weber 32/36 carb water choke recently got it in the mail today it looks great but the only problem is the throttle linkage to the carb is too long to fit the ball nut on the weber. I have checked the trans mount it's not that, and I'm hoping there's an alternate way I can fit it aside from cutting and welding it. Any ideas?

· Super Moderator
8,419 Posts
Now is a good time to replace the GT throttle shaft grommets. The original mounting studs are too long and should be replaced with shorter ones. Once they're in place, you should be able to snap the linkage in place as you are installing the Weber on the shorter studs.

HTH,

Harold

P.S. OGTS sells the grommets and they take the slop out of the linkage and help with throttle response among other things.

· Detritus Maximus
3,769 Posts
I had the same issue on my 69, don't know why. I did end up cutting down my throttle shaft. I cut a section out of the rod and used a piece of aluminum tube and epoxy to reassemble it. Just make sure the tube just slightly larger than the rod and that the two ends are still in the same relative position to each other. Ideally you want the shaft to have a little play betweent he carb and the shaft bracket on the firewall. Too tight and you place a strain on the carb shaft and bushings.
Harold's right about the bushings and the carb to intake studs.

· Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys I found out what the issue was my uncle (stupid old man!!!) had the throttle linkage hooked up wrong I hooked it in the right way and voilà a perfect fit to the carb. I fired my baby up and she's running smooth however idling a little high but i believe this is because I don't have the transmission module hooked up to the carb yet, I have to set up the proper connection and hopefully that will slow her idle down!
:veryhappy :haha:

· Bikini Inspector
5,902 Posts
Hey guys I found out what the issue was my uncle (stupid old man!!!) had the throttle linkage hooked up wrong I hooked it in the right way and voilà a perfect fit to the carb. I fired my baby up and she's running smooth however idling a little high but i believe this is because I don't have the transmission module hooked up to the carb yet, I have to set up the proper connection and hopefully that will slow her idle down!
:veryhappy :haha:
Be careful with the old man jokes. Half the guys on this forum were in their 50's when interwebs even came out in the 90's.

Transmission module? Get her done... what you waiting for?

· Registered
154 Posts
OK. I am really feeling dumb at this point.

I bought a Weber from a friend of mine and he told me that all you have to do is hook up the Solex linkage to the Weber and you're all set to go. I just can't figure out how that can be done. I have both carbs sitting side by side and can not figure out how the linkage on the Solex can fit on the Weber because they are so different. I have no instructions. Does anyone have a pic or can post me a pic of a close up of their linkage? I can get the linkage off of either carb, but can't figure out how to make it work. I really need pictures, or instructions, but I think there must be some kind of linkage adapter that I will now need to purchase. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
By the way if it means anything, I had a water choke and the Weber is electric choke. There was a lot of information on hooking up the wire to the horn, so if I can just get it linked up, I think I'll be fine.

· Administrator
10,419 Posts
I bought a Weber from a friend of mine and he told me that all you have to do is hook up the Solex linkage to the Weber and you're all set to go. I just can't figure out how that can be done. I have both carbs sitting side by side and can not figure out how the linkage on the Solex can fit on the Weber because they are so different. I have no instructions. Does anyone have a pic or can post me a pic of a close up of their linkage? I can get the linkage off of either carb, but can't figure out how to make it work. I really need pictures, or instructions, but I think there must be some kind of linkage adapter that I will now need to purchase. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
By the way if it means anything, I had a water choke and the Weber is electric choke. There was a lot of information on hooking up the wire to the horn, so if I can just get it linked up, I think I'll be fine.
Remove the ball nut and "L" bracket from the Solex and put it on the Weber.

Make sure that you have the correct Weber. The ball nut and linkage attaches to the primary side of the carb. It should be the shaft furthest away from the engine. If the primary is the one closest to the engine, you have a Pinto carb and it will cause cylinder 2 and 3 to run lean. The linkage will also be at an angle.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Here are the parts you probably need for the Weber conversion

Linkage Bracket Adaptor - Solex Carburetor - CIH - Fuel System - Opel GT - Store | Opel GT Source

The ball nut on the solex will, sometimes, not be the correct length to work with a Weber. If it's the wrong length it can cause your linkage to bind and that's not good.

While you are already making the conversion, you might as well replace the two throttle grommets (9005, 9006) at the same time. You will thank yourself later.

Passenger Side Throttle Grommet - GT Under Hood Accessories - Body - Opel GT - Store | Opel GT Source

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.