Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I got into the GT to take it for a spin, to start it as normal, in these fine weather conditions, I pressed the gas pedal once, before starting.

I thought I felt a spring breaking, or at least, something going wrong, and from then on the pedal feels very loose, and wobbly. I looked everywhere for the return spring, but could only find 1 spring in the whole linkage system on the carb.

The picture attached is what is wrong on my GT, the bar pointed at by the white arrow moves freely in the hole. So, I guess I need to replace the part normally holding the bar in place. Anybody has any experience with this?

Attachments

· Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm going to guess, from what I read before you edited your original post, you are missing the bushings or a bushing that goes into the bracket bolted to the firewall that holds the crossover rod behind the engine. Opel GT Source --- Welcome has those bushings. They are part number 9005 and 9006 in their on-line catalog. They may be easier to get from one of the Opel parts distributors where you are located. HTH.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Namba, thanks for the quick reply. I've done some more investigating, and I think it's not the crossover rod, behind the engine, but the rod connecting that crossover rod to where the linkage goes into the car.

That rod is moving quite freely on the side of the crossover rod, so where the white arrow is pointing on the attached picture.

· UngerDog
1,415 Posts
I thought I felt a spring breaking, or at least, something going wrong, and from then on the pedal feels very loose, and wobbly. I looked everywhere for the return spring, but could only find 1 spring in the whole linkage system on the carb.
There should be a large spring on the linkage behind the carb near the firewall that connects to an arm on the linkage to a metal tab a about 6 inches or 15 cm below. I would check to make sure it's in place along with the rubber grommets. Jerry

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Again, I'm guessing. I don't have that part available to look at in my stash of parts I removed from my car. But I would think that is the piece you need to keep the rod secure from flopping around. HTH.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There should be a large spring on the linkage behind the carb near the firewall that connects to an arm on the linkage to a metal tab a about 6 inches or 15 cm below. I would check to make sure it's in place along with the rubber grommets. Jerry

Ok, apparently that spring is just plain gone, I was already wondering how a wobbly rod could make such a difference. The quest for that spring begins, cause I havent found it yet.

· UngerDog
1,415 Posts
It's a spring that sprung

Ok, apparently that spring is just plain gone, I was already wondering how a wobbly rod could make such a difference. The quest for that spring begins, cause I havent found it yet.
Chances are it is either on the linkage arm or the metal tab below the linkage. If not, then below the car, wherever you where when it sprang loose. Or, it could be hiding in the engine compartment somewhere. It's rather large. The coil part is about 2.5 cm X 1.5 cm and has a long (4 cm) hook on one end and a short hook on the other. Happy hunting. If you can't find it, you might be able to find a suitable replacement at a hardware store. Jerry

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chances are it is either on the linkage arm or the metal tab below the linkage. If not, then below the car, wherever you where when it sprang loose. Or, it could be hiding in the engine compartment somewhere. It's rather large. The coil part is about 2.5 cm X 1.5 cm and has a long (4 cm) hook on one end and a short hook on the other. Happy hunting. If you can't find it, you might be able to find a suitable replacement at a hardware store. Jerry
From what you posted, I'm pretty sure the spring indeed sprung :(. While you were posting I took 2 pictures outside, just to verify, a zoom and an overview.

It happend in a closed garage, and I haven't driven it since (ofcourse). The fact that it would be hiding in the engine compartiment scares me :ugh:

Anywayz, closing up for today as it is getting darker by the minute here in belgium ;). I'll need to find that spring to atleast have some peace of mind.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
8,419 Posts
I can't tell much from your pictures. If the rod passes through a hole it should have a bushing located there. There are only two bushings needed. I would replace both and take the linkage apart at each location and grease them before reinstalling them. It makes a noticeable difference in throttle response and feel.

Harold

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
GT throttle return spring

Here's an annotated pic that tells all:

. . . spring attaches to tab on chassis directly below it!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Harold & Tekenaar for your contribution!

Harold, I'm not up for an overhaul of the linkage system right now, the throttle was responding very nice, and it appears that my problems are due to a spring problem. The first picture attached is not from my car, and the last two were to verify it was a spring problem.

Tekenaar, wonderfull picture, thanks very much for the info!

Quest for the spring continues at dawn ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.