Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a throttle problem. If you rev the engine above about 3000-3500 the throttle sticks at what appears to be wide open. It has always done it when shifting. You clutch it and the engine immediately heads for the redline, with no foot on the gas. Usually putting it quickly into gear will drop it back to normal, but a few times it just doesn't kick down. You're in 3rd gear heading for the cars ahead full tilt. You have to kill the key. When you restart it it is fine again.

Where would the first spots to look be? I already soaked the linkage around the carb in WD40 to no effect.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Can you simmulate it at a stand still? Or does it only do it when you are moving?

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tried it standing still other than with the engine off to try to see if the pedal actually was sticking. I couldn't get it to do it that way.

·
1,709 Posts
If I had to guess , I would look at the carb. secondary throttle plate for sticking . With the eng. off look down carb. & open the T/P & inspect
for binding. HTH
Guyopel

·
648 Posts
Also check your motor mounts. If the engine is torqueing up because of a broken mount, the throttle linkage can get in a bind.
Have some one watch the engine, put the parking brake on and gently ease off the clutch. Be careful!
James

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll check the carb out. I just replaced the motor mounts. They were both 1/2 way busted. It was doing it before the mounts were replaced and still does it after. Although torqueing was one thing I thought of. There isn't a lot of clearance behind the block for the linkage.

Ok went out and checked the throttle plates. The primary seems to work fine. When I work the linkage it opens and closes. The secondary seems to be stuck permanently shut. I work the linkage fully and it doesn't seem to open at all. So if it is usually stuck shut it occaisionally could stick open? Would make sense. I'm not a carb expert, but it should open when you manually work the linkage, it doesn't need any vacuum or anything, right?

·
1,709 Posts
It should be manual sec. & not sticking looks like this may be a starting place.Try carb. spray to clean t/plate .Open to full throttle to clean
bottom of plate & carb. bore, You may have to remove the carb. if
you are unable to clean throughly. HTH
Guyopel

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I tried running it and playing with the throttle. When you rev it, the engine does torque over a little, but it seems like the normal amount you'd expect. So I don't think it is binding the linkage. When I played with blipping to higher revs, sure enough it stuck and started reving to the sky. When I killed the ignition, the secondary was still 1/2 way open. So it looks like a sticky secondary. It seems to mostly never move unless the engine is running and you blip it hard, then it opens and sticks. Don't know why it doesn't open with the engine off. I'll try cleaning it up and see if that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts