Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Tilt Steering for GT from Impulse

here are a couple of pictures of the tilt steering column, in fabrication and installed.
rk

·
Opeler
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Got the auto posting notice. Haven't had a chance to contact you about your conversion. Were there any real problems with it? I went to your Texas Opel site and saw some really nice pics of your work on the GT. I am going to use some aftermarket seats and they will have a small side bolster so having a tilt wheel would make it MUCH easier to get into and out of the car.

Swiss

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Tilt Wheel Conversion

You have to have a little machining done to the GT column to add the u-joint, and build up the column to fit the bearing race. Heres a picture of the columns mated up with the U-joint. The other thing is that the sterring wheel will still colapse as deigned in case of a collision. Now I was using the Impulse steering column to the u-joint and GT from there up due to installing the Impulse suspension, but you can use the GT column complete except for the sleeve section of the column this is from the Impulse in order to extend the column to the break over point for the tilt(u-joint). The second picture (06) shows the stock GT column top, modified GT column center, Impulse column bottom. You can also decide where you want the steering wheel in relationship to your self by adjusting the cut length of the Modified GT column, and with a little more work involved make it telescoping, Which I had thought of but did not follow through with.

·
Opeler
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rodney,
Looks like I will have to check out the wrecking yard for a tilt Impulse unit. Any year better than the others? I like the telescoping idea also, as one of my sons is 6'3" and I am 5'8". It would make it a LOT easier for him to drive if it wasn't just customized to my size. I downloaded and printed the pics as a Word file, so I can reference it anytime. Guess I could actually build in an air-bag system if I added the needed sensors etc.. Kind of ironic in a "crush pack" like the GT. Not much for bumpers and the safest situation is to stay out of the way!! HA!HA!

Swiss

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
car source

I got mine out of a 86 Impulse, I do know 86 or 87 will work but there may be other vehicles out there that will work just as well, I used the Impulse as there where more things on it Opel 'like' that I used, suspension(NOT Opel 'like') Brakes vented disc each corner, master cylinder, electric windows, fan clutch and fan, electric wind shied washer, power steering, 390 gears, coil springs at four corners and wheels as they resemble Coke-a-Cola bottle caps, for the wifes GT (she is a coke freak worse or as bad as my Opel ADDICTION) no I take that back my addiction is worse than hers.
rk

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
New Tilt Wheel

We put in a new "shorty" Idit column in my Opel street rod. It does require rewiring, and shaft adaptation, but looks real nice. You can view it and buy it at www.speedwaymotors.com Then do a seach on streetrod products and scroll down to steering columns.

Vickie

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
shorty tilt

deffenantly a a great way to go, but when the whole Impulse was $250 and got so much more for the money, but then there was the labor, well its just a labor of Love when it comes to Opels anyway. But I can see that is a good way to go, most of the work is done and gives you a wide range of wheels to put on it. I'm going to study the site for some further projects that might come up thanks alot.
rk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts