Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it roughly take for a full restoration on a Opel gt?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
some guys 6 months, some guys 10 years...

If you mean by a shop.... depends on how serious you want it. 500 hours minimum I would think for real good resto

·
Opeler
3,602 Posts
It never ends.
At first, you are happy when you bring your GT to the driving condition stage.
Then, you want it to go faster, so you rebuild the engine to 2.0 liters.
Then you add better exhaust and better carburetor.
Then you change the wheels as the car must look cool.
You change the wheels again, as you find the set that you like better (this stage can repeat 3-4 times).
Then you add 5-speed gearbox.
Then you upgrade brakes, safety is important.
Then you find out that the cooling is not good, so you add aluminum radiator and electrical fan. Electrical fuel pump will do good, add it as well.
Then you look for better seats, may be electrical windows while you are busy with interior. Oh yes, that will require more powerful alternator.
What the hell, the car paint is not that shiny, the fresh paint job will be in order.
How about front spoiler and may be side skirts. Why not? It will require repainting of the car again.
Then, something will break down. You replace the faulty part with good used one, so it will break again. You buy new part next time.
Then something breaks again. And again (see previous paragraph).
Then your wife had enough and goes: -It is either her or me!
You choose to sell the car and save the marriage.
Few years later you start searching for another Opel GT. You find it but it is in deplorable condition. Oh hell, it can be restored...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It never ends.
You change the wheels again, as you find the set that you like better (this stage can repeat 3-4 times).
Then you find out that the cooling is not good, so you add aluminum radiator and electrical fan. Electrical fuel pump will do good, add it as well.
Then you look for better seats, may be electrical windows while you are busy with interior. Oh yes, that will require more powerful alternator.
What the hell, the car paint is not that shiny, the fresh paint job will be in order.
How about front spoiler and may be side skirts. Why not? It will require repainting of the car again.
Then, something will break down. You replace the faulty part with good used one, so it will break again. You buy new part next time.
Few years later you start searching for another Opel GT. You find it but it is in deplorable condition. Oh hell, it can be restored...
Ha sounds like you been through this whole thing

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,986 Posts
I bought my Red Baron GT so that I could just park it in my garage and just look at it for the next 20-30 years. I figured that I wouldn't be able to find any parts for it. I didn't care, I just wanted to have that "shape" in my garage.

Gosh dang that darn Interwebnet and this gosh dang webnet intersite and all the gosh dang infotation and rare particulates you find here!

$20,000 later that "shape" is still in my garage.

:veryhappy

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
If you have no life, and a deadline, a few good friends and extra hands : 4-8 weeks if you push it and aren't going for Level 1 to Level 2 perfection.. :p

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/73642-murphy-yellow-baron-12.html

I got Murphy :scared1: in my garage August 26th Its Sept 29th (5 weeks) and since then I have :

R&R'd the engine, front suspension, torque tube, rear end, and done most the body work.. it goes in for paint Thursday. Still have wiring and reassembly to do.

Your results will vary depending on shop, time, budget, what the car was like when you go it, and the quality level you want to get the car to.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/content/2721-current-classic-opel-values-united-states.html

In my case our goal was to be mechanically clean and solid, (I.e. Good Used rear end and front suspension with new bits and pieces to replace what was bad, not a 100% rebuild) and 5 foot paint. I am taking a level 6 car ($1K) and bringing it to level 4.5 ($6K) and on a budget of about $5K. Mechanically it will be closer to a #3 or better.. but body and such will be in the #4 range.

So it depends on what you want and start with..

Investment in cash doubles and time triples each step you go up.

An average example is to take a #4 Survivor ( $4K ) and bring it up to a Level #2 ( $12K ).

That will take about $16000 (12-4 x 2 ) if you don't do the work yourself.

Expect it to take 1 month per "system" if you have a shop do the work (i.e. a month for wiring, a month for suspension, a month for engine, a month for body )

Of course these are just rules of thumb and some people and shops work faster than others and less expensive as well.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
At least twice as long as the estimate and at least three times as expensive.
Ahem.. I am on time and only over budget by 75%.. (but to be fair.. I did a LOT more than the budget called for ) :p

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ahem.. I am on time and only over budget by 75%.. (but to be fair.. I did a LOT more than the budget called for ) :p
Once again your selling yourself short and being humble.. The car can have any number someone wants to place on it .. It makes no difference to me.. All that matters is that I am amazed by your work and still totally pumped to have the car!

·
Senior Contributor
4,913 Posts
You choose to sell the wife and save the marriage.
Few years later you start searching for another. You find it but it is in deplorable condition. Oh hell, it can be restored...
You just need a good surgeon!!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It never ends.
OR. You get it home tune it up and drive it daily:haha::feedback:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OR. You get it home tune it up and drive it daily:haha::feedback:
I was thinking of just tuning it up and driving it but I want more power under the hood so I decided I want to rebuild engine turn it into a 2.2 and turbo it with a 4 barrel carb so then I want to fix everything

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had my GT since 1971. Drove it for 16 years, then it sat in the driveway for another 13years. so let's do the math. 1971 + 16 = 1987. Then driveway time so 1987 + 13 = 2000. Started my restoration in 2000 and just got to drive it about a month ago. So mine was really fast at 15 years. That came with the discovery that the GT is nothing more than a black hole for money. I could have bought a cool brand new car for what I have in this one, but then again it wouldn't be an Opel GT. Mine followed the progression as described by other members. More, more, more. Decide what you want and plan out how you are going to get there. If you set a deadline, and work at it, you will make it. Good Luck on your adventure.
Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts