Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
And for the ( broken) record as it keeps turning
I apologies if I am bothersome and seem so uneducated But this area is not one of my strong points .
I thank you all for hanging in there with me and not giving up on your 1st grade student lol

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
One step at a time. You’re making progress even though you are discouraged at this point. Sometimes it makes sense to just walk away for a while and move on to other things (other than the car) often times the complicated riddles become simple then.
I’ve already ran through the quick check on the dizzy mech adv. If not any of the above you may have a bad brake booster (ruptured diaphragm). That’s what my GT did, it raced at idle. Simply block, plug off the hose to the booster. I drove mine around for several days like that until the new booster arrived from OGTS. It just takes a little more foot muscle but it’s completely safe to try. See if that cures the problem.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hope that isn't the case,
booster, master cylinder and hose are all new less than 100 miles on them I would think.
But I did notice a bit more travel in the brake pedal the last time I drove it but wrote it off as I found my reservoir a little low it looks like it is leaking a bit at the rubber seal attaching the resi to the M. cylinder which is all new so Ideally it shouldn't be leaking
So what grease and oil for the distributor? I'm going to check on that this morning

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Melting point grease is just grease that has a high melting point, like the grease used on contact points for brakes.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thank you kwschumm,
And the oil, A light oil, 5/30, straight 30,

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thank you for all the help cub and others and for sticking it out with me.
Yesterday we got it all cleaned, oiled and greased up and put back together
while I was cleaning and blowing everything out the little oil pad blew out of the hole and landed under the car.
When I went to retrieve it I found this and have no Idea where it came from or where it goes. Any Ideas?
I first thought a lock washer from when I removed and or installed the new stuff but the closer I looked it was more rounded around the edges than a lock washer ( more ring shaped)
Then thought it was something out of the inside of the distributor but no where made any sense
Calipers Font Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper
Shoe Sleeve Grey Wood Floor
Sleeve Grey Collar T-shirt Asphalt

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Keith or Bob and perhaps a few other members can identify weather or not it’s the ring that holds the rotor shaft in place with the main gear shaft on the distributor, apparently it’s held in place with a groove since I’ve never separated the any of the dizzy’s from my distributors I’m not sure. Hold on to it, hopefully you’ll get a better answer than the one I gave you. In the meantime try pulling up on the rotor it shouldn’t have much more than a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch of play up & down. Maybe you’re on to something 🙂

·
Super Moderator
5,992 Posts
Keith or Bob and perhaps a few other members can identify weather or not it’s the ring that holds the rotor shaft in place with the main gear shaft on the distributor, apparently it’s held in place with a groove since I’ve never separated the any of the dizzy’s from my distributors I’m not sure. Hold on to it, hopefully you’ll get a better answer than the one I gave you. In the meantime try pulling up on the rotor it shouldn’t have much more than a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch of play up & down. Maybe you’re on to something 🙂
Winner winner, chicken dinner.... :ROFLMAO:

Yep, looks like the locking ring that sits under the felt pad in the centre of the distributor shaft, that holds the rotor/point cam portion to the lower shaft

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Son of a gun How in the world could that even come off?
I certainly didn't dig that deep
However CUB you mentioned only about a 1/16 of movement and when I was greasing it I moved it up as high as would go and it was definitely more than a 1/16 of an inch
Shoot running out to look
be right back
Thank you,

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
yes sir, so mine is moving up and down a 1/4 inch at least
holy crap
So safe to say the only reason that sucker hasn't come out and destroyed everything is because the bottom of it stops at the breaker plates.
I still can't understand if that is in fact what it is how in the world did it come out and luckily show up on the floor where I found it?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ok Great guys I got it back on but it did not change the amount of up and down play it has
I don't see anything in the fsm ( like a washer or something would go under that to take up the slack)
So I'm am now under the assumption that it is there to aid in removal for repair and rebuild time to keep parts from just falling everywhere after you pull the breakers off?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It’s time to remove the distributor. Don’t be intimidated, re installation isn’t as precise as you may think. There’s another clip on the bottom and while you’re at it, it’ll probably come apart anyway examine and restore (if necessary) the mechanical springs.

Take pictures before you start of the positioning of the canister and rotor. Just take off the 13mm hold down bolt, note mark the bracket “top” so you don’t re install the hold down bracket upside down. The dizzy will take about 1/4 turn as you pul it out. Put that sucker on the bench and give it a rebuild.

This thread has all of the information you need.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Okie Dokie
I wanted to clean it up any way so this will make it much easier
On A side note my son and I fiddled with it after putting it back together and were able to back off the advance (turning dist clockwise) and got our idle back to 850-900
we also gave it a good sea foam spay and soak treatment to clean up the firing chamber, tops of pistons ect.
Interesting as after the soak and good run and the smoke cleared some noises disappeared and It seems the flow of exhaust picked up as well.
Only down side is it does seem as it is not quite as aggressive now and is not as beefy sounding as it was ( I'm mean for a 1.9 of coarse)
But throttle response is there no backfires or stumbles and rockers on cylinder one got quieter as well so all an all I feel a bit more of some productive time well spent

As for the timing gun(n) maybe even close to :poop:
It seem to start acting strange as if cylinder 1 had a miss what I found even more interesting is the closer the clamp would slide and get to the spark plug the more erratic the light became
I was able to adjust the dial and at 900 rpm and all vacuum hoses hook up it would line up the pointer and flywheel notch right at 10 degrees.
then it started sliding towards the spark plug and wouldn't act right
I put it back in the package and grinned and told my son we'll just stop right there lOL

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
Thank you Cub, I've out running service this morning so haven't had a chance to START OVER LOL
Hey what happened to the cute kid in the sunglasses???????????????????
After soaking on my thoughts last night. My thoughts brought me back to the inside of the distributor as well
I too was wondering if it was getting stuck and not able to return
I found this in the fsm

4. Oil sliding parts of breaker plate at “B”. Oil felt in cam at “c”. Apply a thin layer of high melting point grease to the cam, using a finger at “A”. See Figure K-14.

I've never heard of melting point grease. Is this something I can get at the parts store?
As far as oiling, The same oil I use in the engine or is this a different oil as well?
Hey what happened to the cute kid in the sunglasses???????? Can't change who you are.......

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hey what happened to the cute kid in the sunglasses???????????????????

Hey what happened to the cute kid in the sunglasses???????? Can't change who you are.......
HAHAHAHA
Well after thoughtful consideration about our rules and offensive things I was worried the kid and his middle finger maybe offensive to some viewers.
(VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED )
Glasses Lip Vision care Hairstyle Eyebrow

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
Terry, you must have been hell on wheels in your teen years if you were like that at, what 4 years old - I think you cut out the finger part in your avatar in your previously posted picture, but thanks for sharing, would love to hear the story behind the picture - Don't get me wrong, the orange GT is nice just got use to the kid with the sunglasses, for some reason, well it just fit - kind of like rrossjr, in the event I ever meet him I am going to be really disappointed if that avatar is not what he really looks like, if the pins in the head are not there well then its just not him. Its funny how the pictures create an image of the person as unintentional as it may be, it just happens. There use to be a guy we don't hear much from lately - his name was, can't recall, senior moment, but it was an alien type avatar and again would expect to see him looking like that if we met in person. Best, Carl

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
LOL no, the finger was there but pic is so small it slid past everyone.
Yea it might explain me being abandoned/thrown out of the family at 14 LOL
My have times changed and my children 22 and 17 are very well behaved, polite, respectful, loving and fun minded

If most prefer I can change it back I just thought I'd mix it up a bit

41 - 60 of 64 Posts