Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a couple of 1.9 CIH's. One is a '71, the other a '75. But I originally disassembled the '71 many years ago, and there is at least one thing that has escaped my long term memory. Perhaps someone here can help me.

The chain case upper timing chain guide on the same side as the tensioner is different between the model years. The '75 sits statically, with a small locating pin in the case matching up to a similar hole in the guide. Here is a photo of the '75 pin and guide, with the guide upside down to show the matching hole. When the guide is installed (by driving the upper pin into the chain case), it is quite secure, held in place by the upper pin (which it can rotate around) and by the locating pin.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The '71 engine uses a different design on the upper guide. It also rotates on an upper pin, but it uses a clip to hold it to the pin. The locator pin in the chain case is the same, but the lower end of the guide is a larger hole, right through the guide end. When the guide is installed, it "rattles" around, since there is a space between the locator pin and the guide hole. Here's a photo.

So, is this correct, or am I missing a piece? I don't seem to have anything that would fit into this oversize hole. I suspect that the chain always pushes against this guide, so maybe it doesn't rattle when the engine is assembled and running. Or should I insert some kind of bushing into the guide's lower hole?

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
For that timing cover the guide looks like the pic I'm posting.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nobody said:
For that timing cover the guide looks like the pic I'm posting.
That is what the guide on the '75 case looks like. But the '71 case guide looks like the photo above

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
For an early timing case it should look like this. I pulled it off the pin a bit so you could see it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what the '75 case looks like. Maybe some of the earlier models did too, but my '71 looks like the photo I posted. Does anyone have a chain case that has a guide like the one shown?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I had one like that on a 74 Manta motor, I didn't like it and replaced it.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am about to get back to work on my engines, and I wondered if anyone had a timing chain guide that looked like the one I posted above, with the loose end that rattles around on the little post? I am thinking of either seeing if OGTS has the newer style guide (it just doesn't seem right to have the guide rattle around) or maybe slip a piece of rubber tubing into the guide end hole, so that it "dampens" the guide a bit. Comments?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Slack-side curved guide

kwilford said:
I am about to get back to work on my engines, and I wondered if anyone had a timing chain guide that looked like the one I posted above, with the loose end that rattles around on the little post? I am thinking of either seeing if OGTS has the newer style guide (it just doesn't seem right to have the guide rattle around) or maybe slip a piece of rubber tubing into the guide end hole, so that it "dampens" the guide a bit. Comments?
Once the chain stretches or even when it hasn't yet, that combo WILL rattle when ever the engine decelerates from a higher RPM, ie when you let up on it. Will do it during idle too. Personal experience! :(

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Upper Guide

The upper guide will be under almost constant tension as the chain curves outward ove rit to go around the cam sprocket. So it is more important it seats firmly and dows not rattle about anymore than needed to align itself with the chain.The long damper on the other side, in contrast, mearly damps the flapping of the chain (and should not actually touch the chain). The tension is kept on by the lower tensioner which is kept against the chain bt oil presure. It is probably more due to low oilpressure than wear that these rattle in an older engine.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
In the timing cover that was shown in the posts above, I've also included a reworked picture, is there a replacement for the original clips? It's hard to see in the picture I uploaded, but it's in the upper left hand corner. Something like a snap ring clip? The original ones don't look too impressive. Thanks, Jarrell

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Jerell that type rattles pretty bad but there are ways to fix it and the bushing in the lower section in the pic you posted is missing.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I've got all new guides, rails etc to put in the cover. I was wondering about the wire clips that hold them on the pivot points. They dont look too swift to me and I was wondering if anyone had changed theirs out to a type of snap ring. That was Keiths picture reworked a little. Still too dark in the shed for a proper picture. I'll get one later today. Thanks Jarrell

·
247 Posts
I remember reading someplace that OGTS had a fix or an update to cure timing chain rattle problems. I have never seen it and have no idea what the parts are, anyone ever used it or know anything about it?

DAN

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Hi Keith,
The 72 motor that I tore down has a guide exactly like yours. Did I loose a bushing? Took a picture but it is 686kb, too big. I do not know how to get it smaller.
Dwight

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
in the download section of the site, u will find a program called infranview i believe....that program will allow you to make the picture whatever size u want...HTH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
RallyBob said:
Thanks RallyBob, that is exactly what I did. I think I found Opels solution to the small pin too. In a box of stuff I got off German Ebay last year, I ended up with the whole works. Cam gear, crank gear, chain and I remember the guy said he threw in some stuff. The upper and lower guides and long rail were in there as well as a NOS Tensioner. The upper guide has a small hole for the small pin. The material doesn't appear to be the same as the old, but the upper guide no longer moves or rattles in the cover. Jarrell

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dmillett said:
I think I got it.
Thanks Adam
Dwight, next time, save it as a .jpeg or .jpg file, instead of a .bmp file. Much smaller file size, and it shows up as a thumbnail

1 - 20 of 24 Posts